Join Early Retirement Today

Old 12-21-2008, 11:58 PM   #41
Recycles dryer sheets

This might be a good poll for a different thread.

I have always been a skeptic of global warming.

I spend a lot of time outdoors...I always have my whole life. And it does NOT seem any warmer to me at all. Here in Pennsylvania we had a whopping 2 or 3 days that it reached 90* for the entire summer. In the 80's I remember it being over 100* on many days.

I also figured out that in my lifetime I have seen three times as many record lows as record high temperatures.

A lady I'm friends with told me that in the 60's they said another ice age was coming.....I'm thinking global warming is about as accurate of a prediction.

Right now in Pa it's like 5* and blowing freezing cold wind.

Jim

Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 12-22-2008, 12:19 AM   #42
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by kyounge1956 View Post
...but the forecast says rain & snow showers possible every day and freezing temperatures every night until the 26th. That's not going to get all this snow off the roadways. If anything, rain on top of the snow and then freezing at night will make the roads even slicker.
I sure agree with you on this. If it rains and refreezes that is really the worst possible situation. You can hardly walk, let alone drive.

Ha

Old 12-22-2008, 06:08 AM   #43
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Current temperature -35C (approx -32F)
Old 12-22-2008, 06:24 AM   #44
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by kumquat View Post
Current temperature -35C (approx -32F)
-32F? Amazing.

And I thought it was cold here in New Orleans this morning, at +34F. Oh well. It feels pretty cold after highs of almost 80 degrees over the weekend.

― B. Lee

W2R is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2008, 06:26 AM   #45

Not sure whether global warming is fact or not. The concept of greenhouse gasses seems perfectly valid, but the magnitude of the effect is unproven - especially in comparison to some other "unknowns" but just as likely contributors (such as solar output, volcanic activity and others).

What I find interesting is the extent to which some will go to "hype" the concept of global warming. Case in point: Watched a global warming "expert" the other day say that the recent cold snap was due to global warming. Uncharacteristically, the interviewer actually challenged the expert. He pointed out that in recent years the "experts" pointed to warmer than usual winters as "proof" that global warming is a reality. Without batting an eye, the expert maintained that both were proofs of global warming.

Don't want this guy on my debate team, no matter what position I eventually adopt. As always, YMMV.

Anything which can be used can be misused. Anything which can be misused will be.
Koolau is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2008, 08:22 AM   #46
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Koolau View Post
Not sure whether global warming is fact or not. The concept of greenhouse gasses seems perfectly valid, but the magnitude of the effect is unproven - especially in comparison to some other "unknowns" but just as likely contributors (such as solar output, volcanic activity and others).

What I find interesting is the extent to which some will go to "hype" the concept of global warming. Case in point: Watched a global warming "expert" the other day say that the recent cold snap was due to global warming. Uncharacteristically, the interviewer actually challenged the expert. He pointed out that in recent years the "experts" pointed to warmer than usual winters as "proof" that global warming is a reality. Without batting an eye, the expert maintained that both were proofs of global warming.

Don't want this guy on my debate team, no matter what position I eventually adopt. As always, YMMV.
I am starting to see a move in language from "global warming" to "climate change"....how sneaky.

Now, WHERE'S Al Gore when I need him? I'd like to give him a shovel and tell him to shovel out the drifts in my driveway (currently -20 wind chill).........

This Thread is USELESS without pics.........:)
FinanceDude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2008, 08:27 AM   #47

Quote:
Originally Posted by FinanceDude View Post
Now, WHERE'S Al Gore when I need him? I'd like to give him a shovel and tell him to shovel out the drifts in my driveway (currently -20 wind chill).........
You already have enough problems, you probably don't want Al anywhere near you right now:
Quote:
For several years now, skeptics have amusedly eyed a phenomenon known as “The Gore Effect” to half-seriously argue their case against global warming.

The so-called Gore Effect happens when a global warming-related event, or appearance by the former vice president and climate change crusader, Al Gore, is marked by exceedingly cold weather or unseasonably winter weather.

For instance, in March, 2007, a Capitol Hill media briefing on the Senate’s new climate bill was cancelled due to a snowstorm.

On Oct. 22, Gore’s global warming speech at Harvard University coincided with near 125-year record-breaking low temperatures. And less than a week later, on Oct. 28, the British House of Commons held a marathon debate on global warming during London’s first October snowfall since 1922.

While there’s no scientific proof that The Gore Effect is anything more than a humorous coincidence, some climate skeptics say it may offer a snapshot of proof that the planet isn’t warming as quickly as some climate change advocates say.
Back on topic for a mo...I just have to say that reading this thread makes me feeling kind of silly when my teeth chatter in the 45 degree cold spell we're experiencing around here. I love snow for skiing and snowmobiling, and for the rest of the time I think it's just fine staying up north somewhere. How you guys stand it I'll never know.
Old 12-22-2008, 08:28 AM   #48
Moderator Emeritus

Up to 11 below right now, the sun is shining and I blew the rest of the snow yesterday. My fan on my computer is making horrible noises so I am going out for a repair in a bit after I remove the snow plow pile at the end of the driveway.

No more lawyer stuff, no more political stuff, so no more CYA

Martha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2008, 08:52 AM   #49
Give me a forum ...

Typical north Tejas weather here: 70-something a week ago Saturday, ice/sleet last Monday/Tuesday, around 70 on Friday, back to freezing and below now...

...not doing anything of true substance...
HFWR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2008, 08:56 AM   #50
Recycles dryer sheets

We are getting dang tired of our current weather. Shoveled the driveway yest for the fourth time, and got six more in last night. Couldn't find the paper this am as it was buried in the snow. This is W. WA, c'mon.
Old 12-22-2008, 08:57 AM   #51

At least the termites and various other bugs will be taken care of up north.
Old 12-22-2008, 09:21 AM   #52
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by summer2007 View Post
A lady I'm friends with told me that in the 60's they said another ice age was coming....
Jim
Then along came the "Summer of Love."
Old 12-22-2008, 09:32 AM   #53
Recycles dryer sheets

Ya gotta ask yourself: What's so bad about global warming?

-9 degrees, sunny, and no wind. Now, where are my yaktrax.
Old 12-22-2008, 10:01 AM   #54

Still -5F at my sisters. Supposed to jump up to the 20s. Still not impressed.
Old 12-22-2008, 10:16 AM   #55
Give me a forum ...

Not quite snowed-in here in Bellingham (WA). All the visitors made it home. The laundry room makes a great refridgerator and the back porch is a great freezer. The tequila bottles froze to the deck. We had a lot of company and not enough room in the 'fridge.

Last week in Calgary I started my car right up at -35C (-25F). (Good thing, too. I don't get paid if I don't show up.) Parked it underground for the next 2 weeks.

Geez, surprisingly, there are a lot of people in Calgary who don't know how to drive in snow and ice. And the hills are even wimpy, too (compared to Seattle, for example). Life is so easy in Cowtown that Darwin has not weeded out all of the dummies yet.

The way things are going, I am expecting a difficult trip to the airport two weeks hence.

Gypsy
And I don't care how big your truck is."
Ed_The_Gypsy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2008, 10:29 AM   #56
Full time employment: Posting here.

This cold weather and blowing snow is for the birds. Good thing we didn't have to go anywhere yesterday considering we were drifted in. Alas, the maintainer went by today and opened us up to the North and South.
Old 12-22-2008, 03:41 PM   #57
Give me a forum ...

For those who don't know the micro-climates in the Pacific NW, the temperature is usually milder around Puget Sound than in Portland. The Sound moderates temperatures and Portland is 100 miles inland (not to mention a portion is at the west end of the Columbia River Gorge - a funnel for anything out of Alberta, CN under the right pressure gradient). Portland, for example, was 21 degrees when we had 30.

I am praying for a dry transition to milder temps.
Old 12-22-2008, 03:42 PM   #58
Give me a forum ...

Dang - a lot of you are dealing with cruchy-cold temps and major snow - we're back to 34 degrees today - was making me a bit nervous last night listening to the ice dropping. Before it did the trees did a bit more shedding - here's the neighbor's oak:

and a house a block & 1/2 away i was taking pics of yesterday - it took a good hit from an oak branch:

Then an old maple, also within a block & 1/2:

Not the norm for this area at all!
Old 12-22-2008, 03:47 PM   #59

Yikes. For the last day and a half, we've been basically inside a refrigerator. Dry (as usual out here; we're having a terrible drought right now) with near-constant temps in the low to mid 30s. We could have kept milk outside for the last 36 hours or so and it would have been just fine.

We should be looking at a warming trend tomorrow, getting back up into the 60s and low 70s for the next few days. But with the air so dry (the dewpoint is currently 5), we'll still be getting some refrigerated nights.
"Hey, for every ten dollars, that's another hour that I have to be in the work place. That's an hour of my life. And my life is a very finite thing. I have only 'x' number of hours left before I'm dead. So how do I want to use these hours of my life? Do I want to use them just spending it on more crap and more stuff, or do I want to start getting a handle on it and using my life more intelligently?" -- Joe Dominguez (1938 - 1997)
ziggy29 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2008, 03:54 PM   #60
Give me a forum ...

Ouch Calmloki! I almost looked at my gas bill the way I looked at your trees...$195 and I live in TX. Hate to think what others will pay....