Join Early Retirement Today
Closed Thread

Old 07-10-2009, 01:52 PM   #581
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

I don't blame him a bit......

When we first moved here, I put some Christmas decorations...including candles in the attic. Well when Christmas time came.........
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-10-2009, 02:03 PM   #582
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by bbbamI View Post
Yeah, I know a few folks with the two story houses and the tall open area in the middle. Their bills are more than twice the amount of mine with not much more square footage. I live in a single-story house as well.
We have a cathedral ceiling in the livingroom which used to heat large quantities of air for delivery to the second-story bedroom.

We finally cut a hole in the ceiling at the top of the steps and ducted it through the attic to a rooftop solar-powered exhaust fan. We pulled the siding off the south wall, stuffed it with reflective foil insulation, and closed it up again. We also have an EnergyStar 60" ceiling fan in the livingroom for those days when the chimney effect isn't moving fast enough for us.

Most of the LR roof is covered with photovoltaic panels and won't need re-roofing for a long time. But if the hurricane we ever re-roof then we'd add reflective foil insulation over the sheathing and the latest in reflective composition-shingle technology.

Co-author (with my daughter) of “Raising Your Money-Savvy Family For Next Generation Financial Independence.”
Author of the book written on E-R.org: "The Military Guide to Financial Independence and Retirement."

I don't spend much time here— please send a PM.
Old 07-10-2009, 06:13 PM   #583
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
bbamI, I want to know where you get all those neat animations!
Old 07-11-2009, 05:24 AM   #584
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quote:
Originally Posted by ziggy29 View Post
It's also a function of home size, of course -- one reason I'm liking our small, spartan digs. We used about 1200 kWh last month despite almost every day being over 100 and the A/C (3-ton, 14 SEER) being on almost constantly. We had the ceiling fans whirring and the thermostat at 78-80 most of the time.

Looking forward to a week of getting away from this in about three weeks' time.
Small, spartan digs with a 3 ton A/C? In my last house I bought a 2.5 ton air handeler, because we were planning to expand and the new square footage would require one that size.
Old 07-11-2009, 07:10 AM   #585

The weather last week has been perfect. Daytime highs in the low to mid 80's, nighttime lows in the 60's. Very little rain. Put 200 miles on the motorcycle day before yesterday.

Usually this time of year we're "dying from the heat" and scurry from one air-conditioned place to another.
Old 07-11-2009, 07:26 AM   #586
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by lets-retire View Post
Small, spartan digs with a 3 ton A/C? In my last house I bought a 2.5 ton air handeler, because we were planning to expand and the new square footage would require one that size.
Well, when we were sizing it up, I had two different HVAC guys say we could go with a 2.5 or 3 ton unit based on size, which was consistent with what I had seen based on our home size and climate. Since we may want to add a master suite in the future, we decided to go with 3.
"Hey, for every ten dollars, that's another hour that I have to be in the work place. That's an hour of my life. And my life is a very finite thing. I have only 'x' number of hours left before I'm dead. So how do I want to use these hours of my life? Do I want to use them just spending it on more crap and more stuff, or do I want to start getting a handle on it and using my life more intelligently?" -- Joe Dominguez (1938 - 1997)
Old 07-11-2009, 09:10 AM   #587
Give me a forum ...

My 3-ton unit struggles when the temps are 100+... (1650sf)

I'm about to spend $7k on a new roof, with lighter-colored shingles (instead of black...) and a new, hopefully improved ridge vent system. Next up is add even more attic insulation...

...not doing anything of true substance...
Old 07-11-2009, 09:23 AM   #588
Moderator Emeritus

Mine is 3 ton, 13 SEER, for my 1558 square foot house, and it struggles a lot when the outside temperature is 90-105+. My A/C guy says that I need to have the fan in the attic repaired, because it is extremely hot up there and therefore the A/C is working against a strong gradient.

When it is below 90, no problems getting nice and chilly.

Happily retired since 2009, at age 61. Best years of my life by far!
Old 07-11-2009, 09:36 AM   #589
Give me a forum ...

99.8 degrees at 10:37 a.m.
Old 07-11-2009, 09:40 AM   #590
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso) Give me a forum ...

It's so hot...

- The chickens are laying poached eggs.
- Birds are using potholders to get worms out of the ground.
- My electric meter looks like a fan.
Old 07-11-2009, 09:49 AM   #591
Give me a forum ...

A couple of my favorites...

It's so hot...

You've experienced condensation on your butt from the hot water in the toilet bowl.

You learn a seat belt makes a pretty good branding iron.
Old 07-11-2009, 09:49 AM   #592
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
99.8 degrees at 10:37 a.m.
Wow. "Only" 88º here now just 10 minutes later.

We're in a bit of a cooling trend: we're expected to top out at 101º today instead of 104-106 of the past few days.
"Hey, for every ten dollars, that's another hour that I have to be in the work place. That's an hour of my life. And my life is a very finite thing. I have only 'x' number of hours left before I'm dead. So how do I want to use these hours of my life? Do I want to use them just spending it on more crap and more stuff, or do I want to start getting a handle on it and using my life more intelligently?" -- Joe Dominguez (1938 - 1997)
Old 07-11-2009, 11:05 PM   #593
Give me a forum ...

The best solar collectors are car seats.
Old 07-12-2009, 12:34 AM   #594
Moderator Emeritus

We spent 13 days of this month's electrical billing period on the Mainland, and our kid's been away for the entire time.

When our electric bill came today, our power consumption was -12 KWHrs. That's a minus sign, meaning that our photovoltaic array produced more energy than we consumed.

The cost of staying connected to HECO's grid? $14.13. That's about $15-$20 lower than our usual electrical bill, so spouse and I are going to treat ourselves to a celebratory lunch at Thai Kitchen...

Co-author (with my daughter) of “Raising Your Money-Savvy Family For Next Generation Financial Independence.”
Author of the book written on E-R.org: "The Military Guide to Financial Independence and Retirement."

I don't spend much time here— please send a PM.
Old 07-12-2009, 11:06 AM   #595
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Nice Nords.
While summer is our lowest electric bills, we didn't quite hit 0. Got down to about 10% of our bill.
Winter is nasty as our electric bill goes through the roof (heating mainly).
So while I love summer weather, I won't gloat, as MN winters are pretty chilly
Old 07-12-2009, 08:35 PM   #596
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nords View Post
We have a cathedral ceiling in the livingroom which used to heat large quantities of air for delivery to the second-story bedroom.

We finally cut a hole in the ceiling at the top of the steps and ducted it through the attic to a rooftop solar-powered exhaust fan. We pulled the siding off the south wall, stuffed it with reflective foil insulation, and closed it up again. We also have an EnergyStar 60" ceiling fan in the livingroom for those days when the chimney effect isn't moving fast enough for us.

Most of the LR roof is covered with photovoltaic panels and won't need re-roofing for a long time. But if the hurricane we ever re-roof then we'd add reflective foil insulation over the sheathing and the latest in reflective composition-shingle technology.
I think I should print this and send a copy to my cathedral friends. Then if the hail they need to re-roof again, they can follow your example.
Old 07-14-2009, 05:55 PM   #597
Give me a forum ...

Spectacular thunder, lightning and sheets of rain today. Wheeee!!
Old 07-16-2009, 06:45 PM   #598
Give me a forum ...

Just in case anybody gives a fritter...it's 97 degrees now. There are a few clouds moving in....might squeeze out a drop or two of rain.
Old 07-27-2009, 07:56 AM   #599
Moderator Emeritus

Looks like you Texans are STILL under drought conditions:

Drought turning Texas as dry as toast - Weather- msnbc.com

It rains so much in south Louisiana that I don't even own a sprinkler. The down side to our 60"/year average rainfall is that gardening becomes an exercise in hacking back bushes and vegetation. Since I used to live in Texas, I have an idea of how rotten it is to live in drought conditions during a hot Texas summer.

(Not to mention the fire ants and brown recluse spiders - - REWahoo, I'm doing my best).

Happily retired since 2009, at age 61. Best years of my life by far!
Old 07-27-2009, 07:59 AM   #600
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso) Give me a forum ...

W2R, thanks for your efforts but it looks like the national news is carrying the load at the moment. We average is less than 10 days per year of temps 100 and above at we're currently sitting at 34 days and counting...