Join Early Retirement Today

Old 07-28-2009, 08:28 AM   #621
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Martha View Post
Nice yard work weather.

70 F | 49 F

72 F | 47 F

63 F | 52 F

72 F | 56 F

72 F | 52 F
Have an extra bedroom?

Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-28-2009, 09:26 AM   #622
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Dawg, tell Martha you will do the yard work, that may get you a room

Old 07-28-2009, 09:39 AM   #623
Recycles dryer sheets

In northeast OH the weather this summer has been perfect. Its the coolest July on record but temps have gotten into the high 70s low 80s. We haven't turned on the AC yet; that's a very good thing because electricity costs a lot of cash here. We're eating out of our garden, but the tomatoes are slow going due to the cool nights. They'll get there, though.
Old 07-28-2009, 07:38 PM   #624
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Glo View Post
In northeast OH the weather this summer has been perfect. Its the coolest July on record but temps have gotten into the high 70s low 80s. We haven't turned on the AC yet; that's a very good thing because electricity costs a lot of cash here. We're eating out of our garden, but the tomatoes are slow going due to the cool nights. They'll get there, though.
It's 92 in my apartment, and I have pretty good airflow here. I hate to think what it might be without that.

Seattle high today was 97, which tied the all time record. Tomorrow they predict over 100. It was over 100 on the east side of Lake Washington today.

During hot spells in the past I lived along the sound north of the city. It was much cooler there.

It is hard for me to realize how much water I have to drink. I drink and drink and drink and I still don't pee much. A few hours ago I thought- why do I feel so beat? I drank about 2 quarts of really cold water and felt much better.

It is dry. I notice almost no actual sweat. I guess it just evaporates immediately. I do have a good fan blowing on me. I feel kind of stupid just sitting around, but I think it is best. Tomorrow late afternoon I may hit a movie, more to be in AC than for the movie, though the bus or walk downtown will be brutal.

Ha
Old 07-28-2009, 08:08 PM   #625

Quote:
Originally Posted by haha View Post
It's 92 in my apartment, and I have pretty good airflow here. I hate to think what it might be without that.

Seattle high today was 97, which tied the all time record. Tomorrow they predict over 100. It was over 100 on the east side of Lake Washington today.

During hot spells in the past I lived along the sound north of the city. It was much cooler there.

It is hard for me to realize how much water I have to drink. I drink and drink and drink and I still don't pee much. A few hours ago I thought- why do I feel so beat? I drank about 2 quarts of really cold water and felt much better.

It is dry. I notice almost no actual sweat. I guess it just evaporates immediately. I do have a good fan blowing on me. I feel kind of stupid just sitting around, but I think it is best. Tomorrow late afternoon I may hit a movie, more to be in AC than for the movie, though the bus or walk downtown will be brutal.

Ha
We bailed and went out to Dungeness spit just past Sequim. Hot but tolerable. I have never seen the Straits of Juan de Fuca glass calm like they were today.

100+ I can't wait for tomorrow...

DD
Old 07-28-2009, 08:13 PM   #626
Give me a forum ...

Oh my...y'all in the Northwest are gonna melt....
Old 07-28-2009, 08:27 PM   #627
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by bbbamI View Post
Oh my...y'all in the Northwest are gonna melt....
Yep. Sister south of Seattle near Kent and Aunt up the I-5 from Portland near Kalama. People don't generally have/use A/C up there.

I remember as a kid the grown-ups thought the world was coming to an end past 80 F.

heh heh heh - now my BIL the mining engineer thinks weather extremes are good for ya - builds character and all that.
Old 07-28-2009, 08:53 PM   #628
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by unclemick View Post
heh heh heh - now my BIL the mining engineer thinks weather extremes are good for ya - builds character and all that.
When I'm shakin' and bakin', I'll think of him....
Old 07-28-2009, 09:03 PM   #629
Give me a forum ...

Quote:

Ha
Wow, that's amazing. I thought it was suppose to be cool up there. I guess that's El Ninja for ya. Sorry....I know it's not funny when your roasting.
Old 07-28-2009, 09:27 PM   #630
Give me a forum ...

Quote:

Good grief! I guess it may be too late to go get a small free-standing AC that exhausts hot air via a window vent; they may be all sold out already.

Phoenix supposedly hit 114 today, but when I needed to make an errand, in my corner of town, it was only 108, or so my car temperature display said.

CuppaJoe isn't complaining I checked and saw that it's in the low 70s at SF, and expected to stay the same. I am definitely headed out of town tomorrow. I don't know how I survived the record heat of 122 in 1990. Oh, I forgot that I was nearly 20 yr younger.
Old 07-28-2009, 09:32 PM   #631

This from the NOAA site for seattle and W. WA:

Quote:
...EXCESSIVE HEAT WARNING NOW IN EFFECT UNTIL 6 PM PDT FRIDAY...
...AIR STAGNATION ADVISORY NOW IN EFFECT UNTIL 6 PM PDT FRIDAY...

THE EXCESSIVE HEAT WARNING IS NOW IN EFFECT UNTIL 6 PM PDT
FRIDAY. THE AIR STAGNATION ADVISORY IS NOW IN EFFECT UNTIL 6 PM
PDT FRIDAY AS WELL.

HOT AND HUMID CONDITIONS ARE EXPECTED TO CONTINUE WEDNESDAY AND
THURSDAY. HIGH TEMPERATURES FROM THE UPPER 80S TO 105 WILL BE
ACCOMPANIED BY RATHER HUMID CONDITIONS AND ONLY LIGHT BREEZES.
TEMPERATURES AT NIGHT WILL REMAIN QUITE WARM...FALLING ONLY INTO
THE 60S FOR A COUPLE HOURS LATE AT NIGHT IN MOST PLACES.

RECORD HIGH TEMPERATURES WILL BE WIDESPREAD...AND SEATAC AIRPORT
WILL LIKELY TIE OR BREAK ITS ALL TIME RECORD HIGH TEMPERATURE OF
100 DEGREES. WHILE WEDNESDAY IS EXPECTED TO BE THE HOTTEST DAY
OVERALL...THURSDAY WILL BE ONLY A DEGREE OR TWO COOLER IN MOST
LOCATIONS
DD
Old 07-28-2009, 10:44 PM   #632
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by NW-Bound View Post

CuppaJoe isn't complaining I checked and saw that it's in the low 70s at SF, and expected to stay the same. I am definitely headed out of town tomorrow. I don't know how I survived the record heat of 122 in 1990. Oh, I forgot that I was nearly 20 yr younger.
'70s before 5pm, then the fog comes in, burr. The poor tourists are scrambling for sweatshirts. Had to bring out extra blankets last night. You know the old Mark Twain saying, "the coldest winter I ever spent was a summer in S.F."
Old 07-29-2009, 05:21 AM   #633
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by CuppaJoe View Post
'70s before 5pm, then the fog comes in, burr. The poor tourists are scrambling for sweatshirts. Had to bring out extra blankets last night. You know the old Mark Twain saying, "the coldest winter I ever spent was a summer in S.F."
Like quite a few of those in my generation I lived in S.F. forty some years ago, and I felt like I never got warm even in the summertime! The fog is just bone-chilling, but so beautiful and still at the same time (as I recall after all these years). If I were to go there now, the chilly summers would be easier to bear since I am older, heavier, and could afford a jacket.

― N. Gaiman (2002)

W2R is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2009, 06:25 AM   #634
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zathras View Post
Dawg, tell Martha you will do the yard work, that may get you a room
She likes to work in the yard, so I don't want to deprive her. But I will walk her dogs for her.

Rain here today, again. I wanted to play golf. I think I have played one time in the last couple of weeks.
Old 07-29-2009, 06:29 AM   #635
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso) Give me a forum ...

One hundred degrees in Seattle? Yikes!

You folks should take a summer vacation down here to Texas. Our weather may not be any cooler than yours but at least almost everyone has air conditioning.

When I hit 70, it hit back

Retired in 2005 at age 58, no pension
REWahoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2009, 06:49 AM   #636

Quote:
Originally Posted by REWahoo View Post
One hundred degrees in Seattle? Yikes!
Yes, but they cool off at night so they can open some windows. Here, the outdoor temperature never gets below about 75 so the A/C goes constantly.

It's already 82 here and it's before 8 AM...
"Hey, for every ten dollars, that's another hour that I have to be in the work place. That's an hour of my life. And my life is a very finite thing. I have only 'x' number of hours left before I'm dead. So how do I want to use these hours of my life? Do I want to use them just spending it on more crap and more stuff, or do I want to start getting a handle on it and using my life more intelligently?" -- Joe Dominguez (1938 - 1997)
ziggy29 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2009, 07:11 AM   #637
Give me a forum ...

My bleary mind is contemplating this a.m. and I realized even though we've had more rain than usual, I have not seen one mosquito.

I have to drag my butt to the court now.
Old 07-29-2009, 07:16 AM   #638
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by ziggy29 View Post
Yes, but they cool off at night so they can open some windows. Here, the outdoor temperature never gets below about 75 so the A/C goes constantly.

What's wrong with 75?? Just kidding. I turn my thermostat down to 73-75 at night too, depending on my mood.

I admit that that New Orleans weather is improving, so I have nothing much to complain about. We are starting to get our daily summer rains back at last. Yesterday's high was only 90, low 73, because we got 0.6" of rain, officially - - more in many parts of town. Lots of thunder and lightning. Love the way the rain cools things down.

― N. Gaiman (2002)

W2R is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2009, 08:31 AM   #639

My sympathies to all in scorcher weather.

I still recall the shock of arriving in Baltimore in th late 1980's on the 4 th of July. The temps were in 104 degree range for a few days.

Prior to that I spent better part of 14 years from early spring to mid Sept. in the Aleutians,( plus many Dec to Feb. months),where a summer 75 deg. F day brought out the bathing suits, and most work stopped for a hot day.

Typically windy, drizzly and in the low sixties.

So if I ever move to Texas, I'll have an underground house.
Old 07-29-2009, 09:58 AM   #640
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by ziggy29 View Post

Not this time. Low of 69 early this morning, heading up. Supposed to hit 103 today. I was wrong about it being dry- AccuWeather says 65% humidity. I have never before experienced this here.

Ha