Join Early Retirement Today

Old 07-30-2009, 10:53 AM   #661
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso) Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by ziggy29 View Post
Farther south, where they're even more desperate, still nothing...
It's so damn dry here the county is considering a water pistol buy-back program.

Retired in 2005 at age 58, no pension

REWahoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-30-2009, 11:20 AM   #662
Moderator Emeritus

Summer has officially arrived here, as they say, "bring out the woolies."

Trade ya some of that heat for some cold wet drizzly fog.
Attached Images
File Type: jpeg images-1.jpeg (1.7 KB, 101 views)

Old 07-30-2009, 11:38 AM   #663
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dawg52 View Post
She likes to work in the yard, so I don't want to deprive her. But I will walk her dogs for her.

Just had a little rain shower and now it is clearing up. Probably about 70 today. Little old baby Judy the wiener dog now likes to be carried on her walks.

No more lawyer stuff, no more political stuff, so no more CYA

Martha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2009, 12:05 PM   #664

Still only 75 here after some morning showers. I feel like my vacation started a couple days early.
"Hey, for every ten dollars, that's another hour that I have to be in the work place. That's an hour of my life. And my life is a very finite thing. I have only 'x' number of hours left before I'm dead. So how do I want to use these hours of my life? Do I want to use them just spending it on more crap and more stuff, or do I want to start getting a handle on it and using my life more intelligently?" -- Joe Dominguez (1938 - 1997)
ziggy29 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2009, 12:12 PM   #665
Dryer sheet wannabe

Got back into town (Tempe, AZ) on Tuesday and found the lawn in desperate need of mowing. Only problem: 115 F. My standard solution: wear shorts and t-shirt, and soak myself from head to toe with the hose. Mow for 10 minutes. Repeat.

Even despite our absurd heat, it's normal for these parts and we're reasonably prepared. I feel truly sorry for those in Portland or Seattle when it cracks 100 degrees there. We look forward to days that are merely 100 F, but they're just not set up with stuff like AC for that kind of weather. Bad news.
Old 07-30-2009, 01:19 PM   #666
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wally View Post
Got back into town (Tempe, AZ) on Tuesday and found the lawn in desperate need of mowing. Only problem: 115 F. My standard solution: wear shorts and t-shirt, and soak myself from head to toe with the hose. Mow for 10 minutes. Repeat.

Even despite our absurd heat, it's normal for these parts and we're reasonably prepared. I feel truly sorry for those in Portland or Seattle when it cracks 100 degrees there. We look forward to days that are merely 100 F, but they're just not set up with stuff like AC for that kind of weather. Bad news.
And it is now staying at 100 degrees at night. When it drops into the low/mid 90's with low humidity I do enjoy the few hours on the patio before 9 am.

Hi Wally, I am over in Gilbert!
Old 07-30-2009, 01:25 PM   #667
Dryer sheet wannabe

Quote:
When it drops into the low/mid 90's with low humidity I do enjoy the few hours on the patio before 9 am.
Yeah - but that's November!
Old 07-30-2009, 01:32 PM   #668

Quote:
Yeah - but that's November!
That could be true Wally, but with the extra farmland here in the East Valley we get a little cooler a little earlier! A girls gotta have something to look forward to.
Old 07-30-2009, 02:41 PM   #669

Got to love rain. Last week it was 109 when we went into CostCo. A storm strafed us while we were inside. 30 minutes (and $200) later it had dropped to 84. And we haven't seen those lows since then.

Have staff visiting from our UK and Canada offices and are trying to translated the temps to C so they can go back and boast what they had been through.
Old 07-30-2009, 02:43 PM   #670

Quote:

Did you try one of those personal misting systems? I always wondered how they work. We have a pool and it is only 92.
Old 07-30-2009, 04:18 PM   #671
Dryer sheet wannabe

You mean the single misting nozzle on a stand or the battery operated fan with a spray bottle attached? The former works sort of OK if you're sitting still. The latter is pretty useless.

I've tried everything over the years. When I'm really hot, drenching seems the best. I did field work for years in the truly hot areas northeast of Yuma. Even hotter than the Phoenix valley, routinely topping 120 F. My preferred, highly sophisticated approach, was to invert a bucket of water onto my head and shoulders.

Some things are better to have done than to do...
Old 08-01-2009, 11:46 AM   #672

Quote:
Originally Posted by REWahoo View Post
It's so damn dry here the county is considering a water pistol buy-back program.
Well, I just came back from a couple of days in SA. I hope you got some of the rain I brought with me.
Old 08-01-2009, 12:00 PM   #673
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso) Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leonidas View Post
Well, I just came back from a couple of days in SA. I hope you got some of the rain I brought with me.
Thanks for the effort, but no such luck. There appears to be a lid above this area (~25 miles northwest of the Alamo).

Retired in 2005 at age 58, no pension

REWahoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2009, 01:28 PM   #674
Recycles dryer sheets

Today's August 1st and we just put on the ac. I hate it, but the humidity is high; when the humidity is so bad, its hard to get my inside work done so I guess I'll spend the day cleaning!
Old 08-10-2009, 03:23 PM   #675

I don't understand how the forecasters can *consistently* screw up the forecast high temperature by 5-7 degrees. When they say the high will be 97, you can count on 102 or 103 every time. When they say 100, think 106. They said 98 for today and it's already 103, and it's not even the time of day where the temperatures peak (usually around 4 to 5 PM). It's happened almost every day this summer.

At some point you'd think they'd just add 5 degrees to the local forecast high, and then they'd look really accurate...
"Hey, for every ten dollars, that's another hour that I have to be in the work place. That's an hour of my life. And my life is a very finite thing. I have only 'x' number of hours left before I'm dead. So how do I want to use these hours of my life? Do I want to use them just spending it on more crap and more stuff, or do I want to start getting a handle on it and using my life more intelligently?" -- Joe Dominguez (1938 - 1997)
ziggy29 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2009, 04:16 PM   #676
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Bastadges.... But, when it's over 95, I feel like I'm wilting so it doesn't matter how much higher it goes.

I hate it when it's 90 at 10 p.m.
Old 08-10-2009, 05:18 PM   #677
Moderator Emeritus

We’re having a heat wave here and I’ve forgotten the survival techniques. Walked on the sunny side of the street this morning at 10 a.m., was dripping wet in a couple of blocks. What are the rules again?:

1) walk on the shady side;

2) like Marilyn Monroe in “Seven Year Itch” store underwear in the freezer;

3) run cold water over wrists;

4) run the fans;

5) go shopping in air conditioned stores or go see a movie;

6)

7)
Old 08-10-2009, 05:45 PM   #678
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by CuppaJoe View Post
We’re having a heat wave here and I’ve forgotten the survival techniques. Walked on the sunny side of the street this morning at 10 a.m., was dripping wet in a couple of blocks. What are the rules again?:

1) walk on the shady side;

2) like Marilyn Monroe in “Seven Year Itch” store underwear in the freezer;

3) run cold water over wrists;

4) run the fans;

5) go shopping in air conditioned stores or go see a movie;

6)

7)
How about these?

1) dress for the weather - - as skimpily as you can get away with

2) don't do anything more strenuous than operating the TV remote

3) drink lots of ice water, don't eat hot food

4) frequent brief lukewarm to cold showers, to cool off

5) an electric fan if you have one (I love my ceiling fan!)

6) during mid-day, go to a mall or library with A/C

That should help, I hope!

W2R is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2009, 05:50 PM   #679
Moderator Emeritus

W2R, I could have used #1 (skimpy clothes) this morning. Blue jeans are not the "go everywhere" uniform I thought they were. I did work though, defrosted the ice box, the quickest it's ever melted.
Old 08-10-2009, 05:58 PM   #680
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by CuppaJoe View Post
W2R, I could have used #1 (skimpy clothes) this morning. Blue jeans are not the "go everywhere" uniform I thought they were. I did work though, defrosted the ice box, the quickest it's ever melted.
I'll bet it did! I wear cotton "short shorts" and a loose cotton knit shirt in the summer (except at work, obviously). Or, at home alone even less. Defrosting the refrigerator sounds like a great kind of work to be doing in the heat.

I forgot to mention

7) close the blinds or drapes so that the sun doesn't come inside.

If it is just a little hot, you might want a door or window half open for the breeze - - but in the kind of heat we are having right now, that wouldn't be pleasant.

W2R is online now   Reply With Quote