Join Early Retirement Today

Old 08-19-2009, 06:20 PM   #721
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso) Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by ls99 View Post
'nother thought, the drain from the evaporator clogged, evap coil could ice up. Might check the drain in the indoor unit above the blower, be sure that it is clear.

That would depend on the humidity level. I thought your area had dry heat.
Yep, a dry heat.

Could easily be what you suggest, but I think I'm going with W2R's suggestion and allow the repair guy to check it out for me tomorrow. The unit hasn't been serviced for 3 years and it is in the oven attic...

Retired in 2005 at age 58, no pension...and yes, numbers is hard

REWahoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-19-2009, 08:11 PM   #722
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Sorry about the a/c troubles REWahoo. Just reading your posts makes me hot.

btw...it's 91 degrees right now in my neck o' the woods.

Old 08-20-2009, 04:44 AM   #723
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by REWahoo View Post
One amazing (to me) thing about that map is how sharp the dividing line is between "exceptional drought" and "normal" in central TX. On Monday we drove across this line and it is sharply visible - top a hill and it is green ahead of you and parched brown behind you.
we live in east central Texas and everytime we go see our son in North Austin we cross the line... hmmm there might be a song in there somewhere...
Old 08-20-2009, 08:26 AM   #724
Recycles dryer sheets

I guess I'm in the "normal" area....Ellis County. Hot and dry as usual. Got 3/4" of rain a few weeks ago, but it just ran down the cracks in the ground.
2(?) years ago the local corn farmers lost all their crops. You could tell which fields were insured by the couple of rows they left standing for the adjusters to inspect.
This year they got what looks like a small crop. From the ears I saw maybe 60-70 bu./acre. I can't imagine them being able to cover input costs with that yield and current corn prices.
Old 08-20-2009, 09:25 AM   #725
Moderator Emeritus

I can't imagine at all living with 100 plus degree heat for so long. You folks should come visit. Even April, when I was last in Texas, things looked mighty brown.

We had nearly three inches of rain yesterday, a record. A bit south of us they had six inches. The humidity is 91% and even though it is only 60 degrees and cloudy it is plenty warm feeling. I was doing an extensive prune job on my 15 forsythia bushes yesterday when it began to rain. Now I have branches all over a very wet ground, thinking that they need to sit there another day or two.

No more lawyer stuff, no more political stuff, so no more CYA

Martha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2009, 10:32 AM   #726
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by Martha View Post
I can't imagine at all living with 100 plus degree heat for so long. You folks should come visit. Even April, when I was last in Texas, things looked mighty brown.

We had nearly three inches of rain yesterday, a record. A bit south of us they had six inches. The humidity is 91% and even though it is only 60 degrees and cloudy it is plenty warm feeling. I was doing an extensive prune job on my 15 forsythia bushes yesterday when it began to rain. Now I have branches all over a very wet ground, thinking that they need to sit there another day or two.
I have a good friend on another forum from Bemidji Minnesota. We always kid with each other about the weather. Her winters sound as brutal as my summers. After seeing some of the pictures she's posted that area is beautiful even in winter.
Old 08-20-2009, 10:35 AM   #727

Quote:
Originally Posted by Poundkey View Post
I have a good friend on another forum from Bemidji Minnesota. We always kid with each other about the weather. Her winters sound as brutal as my summers. After seeing some of the pictures she's posted that area is beautiful even in winter.
When it's cold, you can always add layers and warm clothing to get comfortable. When it's 95+ for 100 straight days, there is no way to be comfortable outside.

Of course, we also don't have to shovel heat or lack of rain.
"Hey, for every ten dollars, that's another hour that I have to be in the work place. That's an hour of my life. And my life is a very finite thing. I have only 'x' number of hours left before I'm dead. So how do I want to use these hours of my life? Do I want to use them just spending it on more crap and more stuff, or do I want to start getting a handle on it and using my life more intelligently?" -- Joe Dominguez (1938 - 1997)
ziggy29 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2009, 11:05 AM   #728
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by ziggy29 View Post
When it's 95+ for 100 straight days, there is no way to be comfortable outside.
Good point. About the only way my brother and I could get comfy after shoveling a trailer full of feed into the barn was to drive straight down to the Medina river, shuck our clothes, and jump in.

Those were the good old days...
Old 08-20-2009, 11:12 AM   #729
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quote:
Yep, a dry heat.
The unit hasn't been serviced for 3 years and it is in the oven attic...
I think the service charge just went up by $100.- Hope it gets sorted out.
Old 08-20-2009, 11:13 AM   #730

Quote:
About the only way my brother and I could get comfy after shoveling a trailer full of feed into the barn was to drive straight down to the Medina river, shuck our clothes, and jump in.
This is the view from my back yard a couple of years ago when it actually rained. The Medina river runs just behind the first hill - a little too far from the barn to cool off...

Old 08-20-2009, 11:16 AM   #731

Quote:
This is the view from my back yard a couple of years ago when it actually rained.
Wow. Looks like another planet with that much green in it...
"Hey, for every ten dollars, that's another hour that I have to be in the work place. That's an hour of my life. And my life is a very finite thing. I have only 'x' number of hours left before I'm dead. So how do I want to use these hours of my life? Do I want to use them just spending it on more crap and more stuff, or do I want to start getting a handle on it and using my life more intelligently?" -- Joe Dominguez (1938 - 1997)
Old 08-20-2009, 11:20 AM   #732
Recycles dryer sheets

I'm in NYC and I finally broke - I have the a/c on as I type.

It takes a while for my apartment to heat up, and I don't really like sleeping with a/c.

It's HOT out, so enough of that - My little freestanding unit is humming away, and the cats are happier.

ta,
mew
Old 08-20-2009, 12:20 PM   #733
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

REWahoo,
Would it be worthwhile to buy a window AC unit for one of the rooms of your house (in addition to the converted playroom?) The new window units are a lot quieter, and some people with central AC get one just for their master BR to keep it cool at night while they turn off the central AC. In the morning they open the windows in the house, turn on the whole-house fan, or start up the central AC again, but over the course of the evening they don't pay to cool the whole house and just let the outside shell of the house cool off on its own.
Old 08-20-2009, 12:46 PM   #734

Quote:
Originally Posted by samclem View Post
Would it be worthwhile to buy a window AC unit for one of the rooms of your house (in addition to the converted playroom?)
I've given that some thought.

A window a/c unit is not an option because the three windows in the MBR look out into what once was a screened porch and is now the enclosed playroom.

However... the AC unit we have in the playroom is a wall mounted heat pump, the type you see in many motel rooms. It is a farily large unit (14,500 BTU if I recall correctly) and with our MBR windows to the playroom open and the aid of a fan, might cool both the playroom and our MBR. I was going to give that a try last night until I discovered the central unit worked OK again when I restarted it after a couple hours rest. (BTW, it is still cooling fine and the repair guy is on his way to check it out.)

I will do some experimenting to see how this idea works. With the possibility of a 40%+ increase in electric rates looming for us in January, I need to be looking for some cost-saving options anyway.

Old 08-20-2009, 12:48 PM   #735

Quote:
IWith the possibility of a 40%+ increase in electric rates looming for us in January, I need to be looking for some cost-saving options anyway.
Yep -- there's more of that deflation so many people are talking about...
Old 08-20-2009, 02:45 PM   #736

Quote:
Originally Posted by Want2retire View Post
Great! Should make you feel comfortable until the A/C repairman shows up tomorrow. He can check it out and bill ($$$$!!!) you for it.
Looks like the culprit was burned contacts on the 'contactor assembly' - at least that's what the AC guy suspected based on how bad it looked (it was fried). However he did say the symptoms could also indicate a bad starting capacitor or an internal fault in the compre$$or. I should know within a few days if this $225 fix did the job.

Old 08-20-2009, 02:49 PM   #737

Quote:
Looks like the culprit was burned contacts on the 'contactor assembly' - at least that's what the AC guy suspected based on how bad it looked (it was fried).
I can't imagine our summer weather frying anything, nope.....
Old 08-20-2009, 04:06 PM   #738
Administrator

Quote:
Looks like the culprit was burned contacts on the 'contactor assembly' - at least that's what the AC guy suspected based on how bad it looked (it was fried). However he did say the symptoms could also indicate a bad starting capacitor or an internal fault in the compre$$or. I should know within a few days if this $225 fix did the job.
Interesting! Good thing you called him. Hopefully this will take care of it. And frankly, $225 was a steal for this time of year, even here where the temperatures haven't been as high. That A/C guy sounds like a keeper (if this fixed it).

Retired in 2009 at age 61.

Mini-pension 16%, SS 26%, investments 58%.

W2R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2009, 08:31 PM   #739
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
We call Bemidjii, Burrmidgii.

Old 08-20-2009, 08:32 PM   #740
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by ziggy29 View Post
When it's cold, you can always add layers and warm clothing to get comfortable. When it's 95+ for 100 straight days, there is no way to be comfortable outside.

Of course, we also don't have to shovel heat or lack of rain.
Well sorta. If it is windy and way below zero you never are comfortable outside.