Join Early Retirement Today
Closed Thread

Old 08-24-2009, 07:16 PM   #761
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by REWahoo View Post
Yep - but then there isn't much yard work to be done when it doesn't rain for months. I've had to mow only two times this year.
That doesn't sound all bad. I just mowed my yard today, but it was a beautiful day so I didn't mind. The low this morning was a record low for this day. Fifty five degrees with low humidity. The high was 83 which is unbelievable for this time of year. Seems like October here.
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-26-2009, 03:26 PM   #762
Give me a forum ...

One thing I will say about a miserably long, hot, dry, brutal summer: it's really given me a renewed appreciation for those summertime afternoon pop-up thunderstorms we used to get that drop you from 103º to 78º in 15 minutes. One just passed through here and did just that -- and it feels like paradise outside now. It'll probably be back in the low 90s within an hour or two, but....
"Hey, for every ten dollars, that's another hour that I have to be in the work place. That's an hour of my life. And my life is a very finite thing. I have only 'x' number of hours left before I'm dead. So how do I want to use these hours of my life? Do I want to use them just spending it on more crap and more stuff, or do I want to start getting a handle on it and using my life more intelligently?" -- Joe Dominguez (1938 - 1997)
Old 08-26-2009, 03:28 PM   #763
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso) Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by ziggy29 View Post
One thing I will say about a miserably long, hot, dry, brutal summer: it's really given me a renewed appreciation for those afternoon pop-up thunderstorms that drop you from 103º to 78º in 15 minutes. One just passed through here and did just that -- and it feels like paradise outside now...
Old 08-26-2009, 03:34 PM   #764
Give me a forum ...

I take it the thunderstorm didn't quite make it to REWahoo's location.... After a couple of weeks back in June of high temperatures like that and no rains, for the rest of the summer we have been having daily afternoon rains (our usual weather pattern) which really break the heat. On top of that, we have a cold front. Well, a not-quite-so-hot front.

Happily retired since 2009, at age 61. Best years of my life by far!
Old 08-26-2009, 03:49 PM   #765
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Want2retire View Post
I take it the thunderstorm didn't quite make it to REWahoo's location....
Probably not -- at least not yet. It looks like that high pressure that's been sitting on top of us for the longest time is moving toward Colorado for a while. In the last 3-4 days we've seen more cloud cover, light rain and cold fronts trying to come through, mostly between about 3 and 6 PM.

The longer term forecast seems to be calling for more 30-50% chances of rain in the region -- this time of year, that's usually the afternoon pop-up thunderstorms when high pressure isn't pushing it to New Mexico or east Texas. With the high pressure moving, cold fronts may actually increasingly make it through. Hopefully this is the start of El Nino's influence.

Hope that happens -- as bad as it is here, he and the folks down there need it even more (which is REALLY sad). We've actually been a little hotter, but they have been drier.
"Hey, for every ten dollars, that's another hour that I have to be in the work place. That's an hour of my life. And my life is a very finite thing. I have only 'x' number of hours left before I'm dead. So how do I want to use these hours of my life? Do I want to use them just spending it on more crap and more stuff, or do I want to start getting a handle on it and using my life more intelligently?" -- Joe Dominguez (1938 - 1997)
Old 08-26-2009, 05:34 PM   #766
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by REWahoo View Post
Would it make you feel better if I told you it was back up to 97º again already?
Old 08-27-2009, 01:44 PM   #767
Give me a forum ...

Summer's Over!

10-day forcast shows the highest high temp being 72 degrees. The low will get down to low 40's several nights. Way too early for low 40's
Old 08-27-2009, 01:57 PM   #768
Give me a forum ...

Put in a good word for all the Texans with these fellows:

Varuna Yajna: Hindu holy men in India sit in barrels of water to appease the rain god - Telegraph
Old 08-27-2009, 02:09 PM   #769
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by aaronc879 View Post
Summer's Over!

10-day forcast shows the highest high temp being 72 degrees. The low will get down to low 40's several nights. Way too early for low 40's
Your ten day high will still be 5 degrees lower than our 10 day low...
Old 08-27-2009, 06:40 PM   #770
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Summer's Over!

You had summer and didn't share?

Cool nights is fine by me. We actually had a small heat wave, for a few days. It was last week, I think. It's all a blur.
It was nice here today, mid 70s. THE SUN WAS OUT ALL DAY !!!!!
Old 08-30-2009, 04:38 PM   #771
Give me a forum ...

Frost advisory tomorrow morning *&%!
Old 08-30-2009, 04:41 PM   #772
Give me a forum ...

Only reached 92 today and it was a breezy 92. I think this is the best a 92º day has ever felt...
Old 08-30-2009, 05:49 PM   #773
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Frost advisory tomorrow morning *&%!
I won't be too far behind you on this one. Nothing yet...but we are still getting rain almost every darn day (apologies to the dehydrated TX folks ).
Yesterday I heard the T word again (T as in tornado warning) on my NWS radio, and there is some rotation associated with the storms cells, if you see a tornado take shelter immediately in an interior room.
Huh? I know "I'm not in Kansas anymore" as the saying goes.
My poor garden has just about given it up. Today I picked a dozen medium size ripe tomatoes, a small handful of pole beans, and 2 teeny tiny little pickle cucumbers.
Old 08-30-2009, 06:44 PM   #774
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by freebird5825 View Post
I won't be too far behind you on this one. Nothing yet...but we are still getting rain almost every darn day (apologies to the dehydrated TX folks ).
How close are you to the lake? The closer you are the less likely you'll get frost. It has the opposite effect than it has in winter and early spring.
Old 08-30-2009, 06:46 PM   #775
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
How close are you to the lake? The closer you are the less likely you'll get frost. It has the opposite effect than it has in winter and early spring.
About 4 miles. It is a very small lake.
Lake Ontario is about 90 miles away.
Old 08-30-2009, 06:52 PM   #776
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by freebird5825 View Post
About 4 miles. It is a very small lake.
Lake Ontario is about 90 miles away.
I meant Lake Ontario. I don't think a small lake will make much difference. 90 miles away from a large lake i'd cover your plants. Watch the weather closely. Not too far north of me it's expected to drop below freezing.
Old 08-30-2009, 06:59 PM   #777
Give me a forum ...

Tonight

Showers
Likely
Lo 49 °F
Monday

Mostly
Sunny
Hi 70 °F
Monday
Night

Mostly
Clear
Lo 42 °F

Oddly enough, we'll be OK for nighttime lows.
But TY for the heads up.
Old 08-31-2009, 03:51 AM   #778
Moderator Emeritus

Our weather sucks sometimes, but this is going to be tough to take:

Old 09-01-2009, 06:16 PM   #779
Gone but not forgotten

Send a message via AIM to Khan
Friday afternoon heard tornado sirens. Funnel cloud less than 5 miles, didn't touch down.
Old 09-09-2009, 09:48 AM   #780
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Seems like the intermitable dog days of summer are over.
For once I am not complaining about the weather.
weather.gif
Closed Thread