Join Early Retirement Today

Old 12-22-2008, 05:17 PM   #61
Moderator Emeritus

Send a message via AIM to Khan
Quote:
Originally Posted by bbbamI View Post
Ouch Calmloki! I almost looked at my gas bill the way I looked at your trees...$195 and I live in TX. Hate to think what others will pay....
I guess the only thing worse than hearing the heat being on most of the day would be NOT hearing the heat being on.

Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 12-22-2008, 05:20 PM   #62

Just saw the forecase. It is going up to 24 and we will get 12 inches of snow.

Old 12-22-2008, 05:26 PM   #63
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by bssc View Post
Just saw the forecase. It is going up to 24 and we will get 12 inches of snow.
I went out earlier to hike down to my pet feeding house and the heel popped off my boot. Luckily Angel the shoe repair guy said he could have them repaired by 3, and he did. So soon I'm off on a cold hike.

Ha
Old 12-22-2008, 05:38 PM   #64
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso) Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by haha View Post
Luckily Angel the shoe repair guy said he could have them repaired by 3, and he did.
I didn't know there were any shoe cobblers left in the world.

Retired in 2005 at age 58, no pension

REWahoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2008, 06:04 PM   #65

Quote:
Originally Posted by REWahoo View Post
There aren't, ha said it was an angel.
Old 12-22-2008, 07:45 PM   #66
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quote:
We have one here in town. He started working there for the former owner while he was still in HS, almost 40 years ago. When the old owner was ready to retire many years ago, he called him over and told him the shop and contents were now his, for being such a loyal employee!

Oh, and we had a major heat wave here today!! It got all the way up to 13.....and it was sunny all day....and...NO wind!!!

S'posed to start snowing again by morning though....2"-5". But that's OK.....the snow & ice we have now is starting to look a bit dirty, so it needs some refreshing!!!
Old 12-22-2008, 07:51 PM   #67
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goonie View Post
We have one here in town. He started working there for the former owner while he was still in HS, almost 40 years ago. When the old owner was ready to retire many years ago, he called him over and told him the shop and contents were now his, for being such a loyal employee!
We have one, too -- an older Vietnamese man who bought the shop from an ancient cobbler shortly after immigrating. He is very good and charges too little. I always end up throwing an extra few bucks in when I use his services.

I'll miss him when I FIRE because the only shoes I ever bring to him are my work shoes which occasionally need heels or soles. Every other non-work shoes get worn to the quick and then trashed.

As if you didn't know..If the above message contains medical content, it's NOT intended as advice, and may not be accurate, applicable or sufficient. Don't rely on it for any purpose. Consult your own doctor for all medical advice.
Rich_by_the_Bay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2008, 08:08 PM   #68
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso) Give me a forum ...

A once noble profession now almost extinct.

My dad was a shoe cobbler who learned the business from my grandfather. Dad opened his own shop in the 1930's and the family almost starved to death - but everyone had well maintained footwear.

He finally figured out he needed to diversify to survive and after WWII expanded his shop to sell work boots, then added work clothing and finally western (AKA 'cowboy') boots. He maintained his cobbler shop in the rear of the business until he retired in 1968 at age 62.

I have an immediate flashback to my childhood whenever I smell leather.

Which reminds me... Martha, where is that good looking avatar of yours?

Retired in 2005 at age 58, no pension

REWahoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2008, 08:18 PM   #69
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by lazygood4nothinbum View Post
though my bro & family are on their way to buffalo ny for skiiing so for them i hope they get snow.
not to worry...NY never disappoints in that department, especially in Buffalo.
Old 12-22-2008, 08:28 PM   #70

Quote:
He finally figured out he needed to diversify to survive and after WWII expanded his shop to sell work boots....
Tino, our local cobbler did the same thing. The local trades people around here had a preference for Red Wing work boots, so Tino started caring them. He sold them at dealer cost, so he didn't make any profit on their sale.....but he guaranteed himself a steady stream of return customers coming in for new soles & heels! And most of the guys bought another pair each time they came in for resoles, so they'd always have at least 2 pairs available.

The shoe dealer across the street finally figured out what was going on, and complained to the manufacturer, who in turn contacted Tino and told him he had to charge retail prices because it wasn't fair to his competition. He told them that instead of that, his competition should lower his prices. They didn't agree. He lost his dealership rights over the matter, so he raised his repair prices......but only to the competitor! The competitor complained to him, but was told that if he didn't like the prices, to take his business elsewhere. Competitor said "but there is no one else who does shoe repair". Tino told him it looked like he was between a rock & a hard place.....either pay the fare, or do without....He paid!

Tino let all of his normal customers know where to go to get the best deal on new work boots......NOT across the street!
Old 12-22-2008, 08:30 PM   #71
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Angel is only 2 blocks away, and there are 2 others within a mile or so. Angle is a super guy. He re-glued my heel and the front part of the Vibram soles, and also nailed them for $8. Alway some people haging out in his shop just passing the time of day. He lives a few doors from his shop.

I think this may be a good area for cobblers because Punks wear expensive boots, and get them repaired.

ha
Old 12-22-2008, 08:38 PM   #72
Give me a forum ...

Well the weather here is mid 70's but I miss snow especially around Christmas . I do not miss dirty snow or slush or ice but a nice snow makes everything look so Christmasy .
Old 12-22-2008, 08:42 PM   #73

Nothing worse than yellow snow as I remember.
Old 12-22-2008, 08:43 PM   #74

Quote:
Originally Posted by 73ss454 View Post
Only if ya eat it!
Old 12-22-2008, 08:48 PM   #75

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moemg View Post
Well the weather here is mid 70's but I miss snow especially around Christmas . I do not miss dirty snow or slush or ice but a nice snow makes everything look so Christmasy .
I see you're in Sarasota. That is the area i'm thinking that I would go if I was going to leave winter behind. Right now, being near my family is what's keeping me in Wisconsin. Are there any downfalls to Sarasota. Muggy summers don't bother me a bit. Hurricanes don't worry me. Housing seems very reasonable. How are RE taxes. I know HO ins. is a little high but i'd be looking for a place well under $100,000 so it can't be that bad.
Old 12-22-2008, 09:02 PM   #76
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by 73ss454 View Post
we live in a strange world...enjoy the penguins
Old 12-22-2008, 09:09 PM   #77
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by aaronc879 View Post
I see you're in Sarasota. That is the area i'm thinking that I would go if I was going to leave winter behind. Right now, being near my family is what's keeping me in Wisconsin. Are there any downfalls to Sarasota. Muggy summers don't bother me a bit. Hurricanes don't worry me. Housing seems very reasonable. How are RE taxes. I know HO ins. is a little high but i'd be looking for a place well under $100,000 so it can't be that bad.
Sarasota is very nice. As a fellow Wisconsinite (once upon a time) let me suggest you check out Lakewood Ranch. It was originally bought and then developed by the Uihleins, the beer barons of Milwaukee. Lots of cheeseheads there -- a planned community east of Sarasota. May not be to your liking but worth seeing.

Rich

As if you didn't know..If the above message contains medical content, it's NOT intended as advice, and may not be accurate, applicable or sufficient. Don't rely on it for any purpose. Consult your own doctor for all medical advice.
Rich_by_the_Bay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2008, 09:31 PM   #78
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by aaronc879 View Post

I second Rich's recommendation of Lakewood Ranch but not sure if anything there is under $100,000. My RE taxes and HO insurance actually went down this year . Since you are looking well under $100,000 I'm assuming you are looking for a manufactured home . If so there are some really nice communities in Ellenton which is above Bradenton .
Old 12-22-2008, 09:43 PM   #79

Quote:
Originally Posted by bbbamI View Post
All that ice reminds me of December 1979 in MO. (yeah, a looong time ago) Anyway, we didn't have power or gas for three days and we, like most, had no generator. We did pretty well except we froze our buns off since we had a waterbed. ....
Well, if you had told that story earlier, you could have had the BunsGettingFirm name.

Winter weather usually doesn't bother me -- until April. This week storms were kind of a novelty because I got to try out my new tires in the snow.
Old 12-22-2008, 10:32 PM   #80
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nords View Post
Well... uhm... ah... gosh, we had a big rainstorm last week that dumped 12" in 12 hours. (It's probably the same storm that Brat's dealing with now.) We had to shut all our windows and one of our roof vents leaked when the rain blew in. And all our lanai furniture was soaking wet, all the way up to the house wall. And a local reservoir almost overflowed and we had flash flooding in a bunch of gulches around the island.

And... and... and the surf temperature is down in the low 70s and it feels really cold when you first get in. I may have to buy a 3mm shorty for next winter.
l
Nords, don't forget the VOG (volcanic smog) its been pretty bad until today. I must say all this ice, snowstorms, wind chill below zero sounds very exciting, I am so envious of you folks with changing weather.

Honolulu is so boring, forecast HI 79 Low 67 repeat through Christmas, maybe we will get showers on Christmas day, Friday we are due for a cold snap 77.