This weather is awful!! 2008-2021

Status
Not open for further replies.
Had a few good hours of sleep under a total of four sheets including our heaviest comforter. Got up to make sure the heat is still going, the faucets are still dripping and flowing fine...

Oh, yeah -- and a little before 5 AM it's 12ºF -- tied the record -- and the coldest part of the day (typically) is still about two hours away...

Time to go burrow under the sheets again. I'm not tired any more, but dang it, it's time to get warm again.
We really enjoyed our heated (electric) mattress pad. You really need it in our motorhome under these conditions because there is no basement under the bed. The engine lives there, and of course the engine compartment is open to the outside.

Audrey

Try to beat that.

Pfft. Ya gotta do it all in one morning to be in the running.

Spearfish [South Dakota] has a place of it's own in the Guinness Book of World Records as having undergone the greatest temperature variances. On January 22, 1943, the temperature shot from minus 4 degrees Fahrenheit to plus 49 degrees in less than 2 minutes. After this sudden climb, it dropped from plus 55 degrees to minus 5 degrees, then 15 minutes later rose to plus 55 degrees.
(RAPID CITY, SOUTH DAKOTA ACCOMODATIONS, for example)

We really enjoyed our heated (electric) mattress pad. You really need it in our motorhome under these conditions because there is no basement under the bed. The engine lives there, and of course the engine compartment is open to the outside.

Have you tried to leave the engine running for warmth? :angel:

Pfft. Ya gotta do it all in one morning to be in the running.
(RAPID CITY, SOUTH DAKOTA ACCOMODATIONS, for example)
Is that enough to cause a body part to freeze and fall off, then sizzle on the sidewalk in the next 5 minutes? :angel:

On the same day? Maybe I wasn't clear, but the record high and low for *one day* -- January 31 -- is 99º apart. I was referring to the difference in the records for one specific day, or at least I tried to...

Okay, you win on same day high and low. :) My records were a week apart. When I checked, the greatest spread for a high and low on the same day, different years, in January was 43 above and 47 below, only a 90 degree difference. Wonder what the biggest swing on one single day was like the Rapid City example? Tougher to find out.

Our apartment here in the Tampa Bay area is colder than we ever let our house get in OH. I need to get up and turn the heat on but I don't want to get out from underneath my fuzzy blanket! We don't have a regular furnace so running the heat is quite expensive. The thermostat will stay low. Only a couple more days of this unlike in OH where it will be a couple more months to warm weather. We can make it! :cool:

Out here in Central Texas you can count on nothing but a brutal, long summer -- but in the winter, if you don't like the weather, wait a couple days and you might get a change.

It wasn't too many days ago when we hit a record low of 10 degrees. Today, we have the doors and windows open to warm up the house. In mid-January. We're holding steady at 75 and have been well into the 70s for most of the afternoon.

Sorry for those of you dealing with a lot of snow, but you'll have your revenge come July and August...

Snowing lightly today, temps in the 30s...with very little snow pack on the ground. Unusual for this latitude and time of year. However, February and March never disappoint in the heavy duty snow department. :(
Only 2 more months until the spring mud season arrives. :whistle:

Just went through 5 straight days of rain in Az. High temps around 55-60. Some high winds knocking cactus over. Now back in Il settling into a streak of 20 degree days with no snow in the forecast.

Winters over. Some of the bulbs have shoots sticking up out of the ground. Saw two trees that have buds just starting to open, showing a bit of white petal. A bunch of trees have swelling buds. I was fighting with some vine that already put little leaves out. The last three days have been great to be outside, highs in the 60's. But supposed to turn cold Thursday night.

Oh yeah... I had to fight off chiggers, fire ants, ebola, mask of the red death, etc. so you don't want to come here :)

Major Snow to my east in Fort Erie, Niagara and Buffalo. About an inch here. Brutal Wind Chill this morning. Worse tonight.

The last two weeks of January are the pits--last week there was no sunshine for seven straight days, this week we see the coldest stretch so far. But the days are getting longer and February is almost here.

Major Snow to my east in Fort Erie, Niagara and Buffalo. About an inch here. Brutal Wind Chill this morning. Worse tonight.
And here I sit east of you [-]awaiting[/-] experiencing a major lake efect snow storm...the false color of red and yellow on this radar map
NWS radar image loop of Composite Reflectivity from Montague, NY
correlates with 2-3 inches per hour snowfall rates. I live south of all that red/yellow mess. If the wind coming across Lake Ontario shifts to originating from the NW, I am toast. :(

The good news..I am FIREd and don't have to drive. Plus I sent dh2b in with the 4WD today, so he will be fine. :D

Making this thread USEFUL with pictures...

Attachments

• SnowstormJan10AutoCorrect.jpg
    SnowstormJan10AutoCorrect.jpg
    31.4 KB · Views: 5
I guess I'm not going to be riding the motorcycle much:
...WINTER STORM WARNING IN EFFECT FROM 10 AM FRIDAY TO 10 PM EST
SATURDAY...

THE NATIONAL WEATHER SERVICE IN STERLING VIRGINIA HAS ISSUED A
WINTER STORM WARNING FOR HEAVY SNOW WITH NEAR-BLIZZARD
CONDITIONS...WHICH IS IN EFFECT FROM 10 AM FRIDAY TO 10 PM EST
SATURDAY. THE WINTER STORM WATCH IS NO LONGER IN EFFECT.

* PRECIPITATION TYPE...HEAVY SNOW.

* ACCUMULATIONS...STORM TOTAL ACCUMULATIONS OF 16 TO 24 INCHES.

* TIMING...SNOW WILL BEGIN MID-MORNING FRIDAY...AND WILL CONTINUE
THROUGH SATURDAY EVENING. CONDITIONS WILL DETERIORATE RAPIDLY
FRIDAY AFTERNOON...WITH HEAVIEST SNOWFALL OCCURRING BETWEEN
SUNSET FRIDAY TO SUNRISE SATURDAY. THE MOST HAZARDOUS WINTER
WEATHER CONDITIONS WILL OCCUR FRIDAY NIGHT...WHEN THE
COMBINATION OF HEAVY SNOW AND STRONG WINDS WILL REDUCE
VISIBILITIES TO BELOW ONE-QUARTER MILE...PRODUCING NEAR-BLIZZARD
CONDITIONS.

* TEMPERATURES...HIGHS IN THE LOWER 30S FRIDAY. FRIDAY NIGHT AND
SATURDAY...TEMPERATURES WILL BE IN THE MID 20S.

* WINDS...BECOMING NORTHEAST 10 TO 20 MPH FRIDAY WITH GUSTS TO 30
MPH FRIDAY NIGHT AND SATURDAY.

We're definitely in full El Nino mode here. Cool and wet and wet and wet and wet. Just last summer we were having one of the worst droughts ever, and the grounds are supersaturated now and the lakes are almost back to normal. And the forecast for the next 4-6 weeks says more cool and wet weather than normal.

This is going to be a nice wildflower season in the Texas Hill Country. Unfortunately I'll be mowing a half acre of yard every week for six months if this keeps up.

Unfortunately I'll be mowing a half acre of yard every week for six months if this keeps up.

That's a lot of yard to mow, and yes, the grass is going to grow another three inches every time you turn around, with all this rain.

When I was around 56-57, I decided I was getting too old to mow any more and hired a lawn guy. Guess I am lazy but I truly hated mowing in the heat and humidity we have here in New Orleans. Sometimes it is easier to LBYM in other parts of the budget.

When I was around 56-57, I decided I was getting too old to mow any more and hired a lawn guy. Guess I am lazy but I truly hated mowing in the heat and humidity we have here in New Orleans. Sometimes it is easier to LBYM in other parts of the budget.
Yeah, I know. I may cave in and hire someone this year. The problem is that with a yard this size, I'd probably have to eat about $50 every time.

I doubt we'll be here too many more years, for a number of reasons. In fact, there's a chance that we may not even be homeowners in another year or two. But a lot of things have to happen first before that would be the case.

Yeah, I know. I may cave in and hire someone this year. The problem is that with a yard this size, I'd probably have to eat about $50 every time.
Probably so. I pay $35/mow for a 50'x100' lot. I used to pay $25/mow but this guy is much more reliable.

ziggy29 said:
I doubt we'll be here too many more years, for a number of reasons. In fact, there's a chance that we may not even be homeowners in another year or two. But a lot of things have to happen first before that would be the case.

Sounds like some changes are afoot. Hope things work out for the best.

...winter storm warning in effect from 4 am friday to 6 pm est saturday...

The national weather service in wilmington has issued a winter storm warning for heavy snow...which is in effect from 4 am friday to 6 pm est saturday. The winter storm watch is no longer in effect.

A mix of sleet...freezing rain and snow will overspread the area late tonight into friday morning. Light ice accumulation will be possible with this activity. Precipitation will become primarily snow by late friday morning...though rain may mix in at times during the afternoon. Occasional snow will continue friday night
and saturday. Total snowfall accumulations of 4 to 8 inches are expected. Locally higher amounts are possible...especially across central ohio.

Heavy snow is forecast to accumulate in the warned area causing hazardous driving conditions.

Lots of "chances" for my area...chance of flurries, chance of snow, chance of snow showers...and not a single lake effect snow warning. :clap:
With all these unusual "chances" floating around, maybe I should go buy a NYS Lotto ticket, for the princely sum of $1 for 2 drawing entries.
Hey, ya never know. A dollar and a dream. :rolleyes:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom