Join Early Retirement Today
Closed Thread

Old 12-02-2009, 01:48 PM   #901
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

bbbamI, very nice relaxing back yard - year round.
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Snow in Houston!
Old 12-04-2009, 11:13 AM   #902

Snow in Houston!

Frank Tracks Snow - Video - KPRC Houston

It's the earliest snowfall ever recorded since they set up a weather station in the 1890's. It's supposed to continue all afternoon.

Most years, of course, we get none.

Snow hits Houston! | abc13.com

Old 12-04-2009, 12:45 PM   #903
Moderator Emeritus

Htown Harry, that is amazing!! WOW. I used to live in College Station, but seldom experienced that kind of snow and never this early.

Believe it or not, they are predicting snow, sleet, and/or freezing rain tonight in New Orleans. Although bridges will be icy, snow isn't supposed to stick here in the city, south of Lake Ponchartrain, because temperatures are predicted to be in the mid 30's. It is predicted to accumulate to 1-2" in the north shore suburbs like Slidell.

The photo below is from the December 11th, 2008 snowfall in New Orleans (not this year). But it's pretty and snowfall here is quite rare, so I attached it.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg streetcarsnowbig121108.jpg (113.7 KB, 1 views)

Happily retired since 2009, at age 61. Best years of my life by far!
Old 12-04-2009, 01:29 PM   #904
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Global Warming!! AAAAAHHHHHH!!! Er ah global climate change, in case there is cooling or uneven changes in patterns and temps.
Old 12-04-2009, 04:02 PM   #905
Moderator Emeritus

I just heard that snow flurries are probable in my suburb, though they will not stick.

Louisiana just activated its Emergency Action Team. No, seriously! People here don't know how to drive in the stuff and worse, they don't know that they don't know.

Old 12-04-2009, 04:09 PM   #906

0F and snow overnight. The good news is, it will only get worse until the end of February.
Old 12-04-2009, 04:10 PM   #907

W2R - Have the NOLA newscasters used the phrase "hunker down" yet? I just about fell out of my chair this morning when I heard that one.
Old 12-04-2009, 04:21 PM   #908
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Htown Harry View Post
W2R - Have the NOLA newscasters used the phrase "hunker down" yet? I just about fell out of my chair this morning when I heard that one.
YES!!! I was ROFL. "Crews on Standby" in huge red letters in front of me on the evening news right now as I type...

Old 12-04-2009, 04:43 PM   #909
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by W2R View Post
I just heard that snow flurries are probable in my suburb, though they will not stick.

Louisiana just activated its Emergency Action Team. No, seriously! People here don't know how to drive in the stuff and worse, they don't know that they don't know.

Old 12-04-2009, 05:43 PM   #910
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
People here don't know how to drive in the stuff and worse, they don't know that they don't know.
Here, people don't know how to drive in the rain and ditto.

When it snows in New Orleans, it’s time to winterize. This morning I moved my home office away from the window to be nearer the heater. Got it set up so I can just reach up to turn the thermostat on and off to take the chill off. Rainstorm expected on Sunday, time to batten down, but I do enjoy watching the trees whip around in the wind.
Old 12-04-2009, 07:25 PM   #911
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:

If the flurries won't stick then the roads will just be wet...so what exactly does the Emergency Action Team do in this situation?
Old 12-04-2009, 07:28 PM   #912
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by hguyw View Post
If the flurries won't stick then the roads will just be wet...so what exactly does the Emergency Action Team do in this situation?
It will stick in other parts of the state. Further north they are expecting 1/2" to as much as 2". And, down here, bridges will ice over, and things could get a little slippery - - we expect winds gusting to 40 mph. Still, if you look at my original post you will see that my point was that this was humorous.

Old 12-04-2009, 07:55 PM   #913

Quote:
It will stick in other parts of the state. Further north they are expecting 1/2" to as much as 2".
I realize I deleted part of your post so I'm quoting you out of context but what's the big deal? 2" of snow? Look here, just another day.
Old 12-04-2009, 08:05 PM   #914
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by kumquat View Post
I realize I deleted part of your post so I'm quoting you out of context but what's the big deal? 2" of snow? Look here, just another day.
Sorry if I was unclear. See those little emoticons in my post? This one means "Rolling on the Floor Laughing" (ROFL). The reason I even bothered to post about it was that I thought it was funny. I guess it wasn't obvious to everyone. But Meadbh "got it", so I guess she and I are on the same wavelength.

Old 12-05-2009, 12:45 AM   #915

Quote:
Meadbh "got it", so I guess she and I are on the same wavelength.
Why me, too, Miz W2R!

If'n I didn't know betta, I might be believin they some noathenahs a-making fun uh us folks dow-un he-ah below 35 degreez noath lattude.

I thank yew shuud just go on ow-ut in thu frunt ya-ud tamara mow-nin hay-uv some fun a-playin' in that snow...whilst thankin' 'bout how cold and sad them noathenahs will be next jan-u-wary when we r-uh hay-uv high temturs around seventee - or seventee-fiyuv - degrees.
Old 12-05-2009, 01:47 AM   #916
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Htown Harry View Post
Why me, too, Miz W2R!

If'n I didn't know betta, I might be believin they some noathenahs a-making fun uh us folks dow-un he-ah below 35 degreez noath lattude.

I thank yew shuud just go on ow-ut in thu frunt ya-ud tamara mow-nin hay-uv some fun a-playin' in that snow...whilst thankin' 'bout how cold and sad them noathenahs will be next jan-u-wary when we r-uh hay-uv high temturs around seventee - or seventee-fiyuv - degrees.
I"m so disappointed! It didn't snow in my neighborhood. I went outside to check and it was nothing but icy cold rain. It snowed on the north shore of Lake Ponchartrain, though. I saw footage of it.

Oh well!

Old 12-05-2009, 05:06 AM   #917
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by kumquat View Post
...what's the big deal? 2" of snow? Look here, just another day.
A lifetime ago in the Midwest southeast of Montana, I remember that so well; my boss would let me off early to shovel my car out; it looked just like that but not this early in the season.
Old 12-05-2009, 05:27 AM   #918
Full time employment: Posting here.

I had my first half inch of snow up here at 43 N 80 W. Buffalo and areas north and south of me got much more. Cool -6C 22F.
Old 12-05-2009, 09:44 AM   #919
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Sorry if I was unclear. See those little emoticons in my post? This one means "Rolling on the Floor Laughing" (ROFL). The reason I even bothered to post about it was that I thought it was funny. I guess it wasn't obvious to everyone. But Meadbh "got it", so I guess she and I are on the same wavelength.
Why thank you Miz W2R!
And just so you don't feel too bad in NOLA, we sometimes do floods too...
Winnipeg.ca (UD) :: History :: Flood of the Century
1997 Red River Flood - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Old 12-05-2009, 09:54 AM   #920
Give me a forum ...

We got a little bit last night but not enough to completely cover the yard. Amazing to get some this early. Come to think of it, amazing to get any period.
Closed Thread