Join Early Retirement Today

Old 12-05-2009, 10:12 AM   #921
Recycles dryer sheets

I got an e-mail from a friend in Iron River Michigan. (Far north, lots of snow.)

98% OF PEOPLE SAY 'OH ****' BEFORE
GOING IN THE DITCH ON A SLIPPERY ROAD.

THE OTHER 2% ARE FROM IRON RIVER,MI, AND THEY SAY,

'HOLD MY BEER AND WATCH THIS.'
t.r.

Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 12-05-2009, 11:38 AM   #922
Recycles dryer sheets

Living in central NY, we get a lot of snow...especially since we're in line for a lot of lake effect off Erie/Ontario. I'm always amazed that other areas of the country are so terrified of snow when, to my mind, snow sits at the bottom of the list of potential distasters. Sure, if you don't have plows and sanders, the snow can be an inconvenience for a day or so, but hurricanes, tornadoes, and earthquakes cause far greater damage and loss of life. (And hey, if you wait and do nothing, the snow always goes away all by itself - eventually.)

Our winters can be a PITA, but hurricanes are always just wind/rain events by the time they get here, tornadoes are rare and small because of the terrain, and although tremors do happen we're not nearly as vulnerable as, say, the west coast. We're also fairly immune to fires as we average 40+ inches of precip annually. So I've always thought of CNY as a pretty safe area of the country.

OTOH, New York's dysfunctional State government and taxes are a whole 'nother topic...

Old 12-05-2009, 11:56 AM   #923
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

I love snow and I really miss it around Christmas. I would not mind having snow without the bitter cold that goes with it .
Old 12-05-2009, 02:47 PM   #924
Full time employment: Posting here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by W2R View Post
I just heard that snow flurries are probable in my suburb, though they will not stick.

Louisiana just activated its Emergency Action Team. No, seriously! People here don't know how to drive in the stuff and worse, they don't know that they don't know.
Most Californians are the same so they put chain requirements in place if there is even a hint of snow in the Sierras. (This is a good thing because an accident on the routes to Tahoe on a ski season weekend is a traffic disaster.)

One Christmas me, DW and BIL were heading home on I80 and it was snowing and they had chain requirements in place but there was little or no snow on the road. When we got to the road block where they were checking to make sure that everyone had their chains on we pulled up to the officer and asked, "Do we REALLY need to put chains on?" He looked at our license plate and said, "Idaho, huh! Go on through!"
Old 12-07-2009, 07:15 AM   #925
Recycles dryer sheets

It's currently -5F (-20C) here, with about 4 inches of snow on the ground. It's a lovely day to be retired, stay inside and keep the fire stoked.
Old 12-07-2009, 07:31 AM   #926
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by LoftyNotions View Post
It's currently -5F (-20C) here, with about 4 inches of snow on the ground. It's a lovely day to be retired, stay inside and keep the fire stoked.
Brrrrrrski! There's more than one meaning to the word FIRE.....
Old 12-07-2009, 09:27 AM   #927
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by LoftyNotions View Post
Brrrr! That sounds COLD. Yes, sounds like a good day to curl up in a warm blanket by the fire, with a good book and a hot cup of coffee or tea.

Rain is predicted today here in New Orleans, with highs in the 60's F. I am probably the only person in this city who really likes our climate.

― B. Lee

W2R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2009, 12:23 PM   #928
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

We are currently in a calm before the NEXT storm. Snowed most of the day yesterday (about 3"). Supposed to start again tonight and all day tomorrow...maybe another 6-10 inches.

Bout wore myself out this morning scooping a double driveway and side walk in 17 degree weather. I was bundled up nice and snug and the sun was shining so pretty. The silly sun is still shining...looks so serene....but, can't fool me...I KNOW what's coming!

My lawn guy will dig me out this next time and I'll gladly pay him. I'm ready tho. Have lots of good food, warm house and two books directly delivered on my Kindle yesterday.
Old 12-07-2009, 12:52 PM   #929

Quote:
Originally Posted by happy2bretired View Post
We are currently in a calm before the NEXT storm. Snowed most of the day yesterday (about 3"). Supposed to start again tonight and all day tomorrow...maybe another 6-10 inches.
Same here in Wisconsin except about 18 hours later and in a small section(the one i'm in) we're expected to get 8-12 inches. Wednesday will not be a good day to be commuting to w*rk. After the snow storm the morning temps drop to low single digits for several nights/mornings in a row
Old 12-09-2009, 07:15 AM   #930
Give me a forum ...

26 degrees....my pond is frozen over...
Old 12-09-2009, 09:27 AM   #931
Administrator

We got 4.5 inches of rain yesterday. No problems in my suburb, but there was some flooding in Slidell due to the 7 inches of rain they got up there on the North Shore along with malfunctioning drainage pumps. Also, much flooding in St. John Parish where they don't really have pumps AFAIK.

This morning it is sunny, bright, and pushing 70 F, since we have sent the storm east.

― B. Lee

W2R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2009, 09:29 AM   #932

Waiting for my lawn guy to dig me out....not that I'm wanting to go anywhere. Neighbors snowblowed my sidewalk and my driveway yesterday. I pretty much promised my lawn guy some snow to play in today and I kept my promise, so far (unless my neighbors get to it first). My walk to my front porch is drifted probably 3-4 feet. My deck is not bad but my poor dog gets a little high centered when doing her business in the back yard. She's funny to watch.

My street is pretty messed up. I don't have much of a hill on my street, but, cars were really getting stuck yesterday and last night. Residential streets won't be cleaned until tomorrow. I think everyone on my street slept in late today...snow day for the working stiffs.
Old 12-09-2009, 12:28 PM   #933

From tuesday night thru wednesday noon I got 13 inches of snow. I'm glad I called in to work because I would've been getting out of work at 5am today with about 9 inches of snow already on the unplowed roads plus 30 mph winds causing blizzard conditions. Now starting tonight wind chills will be dropping into the teens below zero for the next several days. Only 1 week into the new attendance year at work and I already called in. I only get 3 call ins without reprecutions. It doesn't matter that it was in the top 15 worst snow storms in recorded history for my area and the "weather people" said NO ONE should be on the roads if it's not an emergency, i'll still get an unexcused absence.
Old 12-09-2009, 01:00 PM   #934
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by aaronc879 View Post
From tuesday night thru wednesday noon I got 13 inches of snow. I'm glad I called in to work because I would've been getting out of work at 5am today with about 9 inches of snow already on the unplowed roads plus 30 mph winds causing blizzard conditions. Now starting tonight wind chills will be dropping into the teens below zero for the next several days. Only 1 week into the new attendance year at work and I already called in. I only get 3 call ins without reprecutions. It doesn't matter that it was in the top 15 worst snow storms in recorded history for my area and the "weather people" said NO ONE should be on the roads if it's not an emergency, i'll still get an unexcused absence.
I was snowed in a plastics factory in Indiana for a long weekend, in Jan. 1979 I think... Slept in a cardboard box, and ate from the vending machines...

My former megaconglomocorp would never officially close, though luckily I had plenty of timebank, and flexible management. The manufacturing areas, however, were not flexible, and people were expected to show no matter the weather...

...not doing anything of true substance...
HFWR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2009, 03:20 PM   #935

But it made it up to the 30's today, bbam!

We have a pond too, but it's one of those see-ment ponds like the Clampets had. We put a solar cover on it for winter, so it stays quite a bit warmer (relatively speaking). I hope Mrs. Drysdale doesn't complain about the fumes again...
Old 12-09-2009, 03:30 PM   #936

Quote:
Originally Posted by HFWR View Post
I was snowed in a plastics factory in Indiana for a long weekend, in Jan. 1979 I think... Slept in a cardboard box, and ate from the vending machines...
The winter of '78/79 was brutal in the NE IL area, probably most of the upper midwest. One night I was one of the few who braved it out there to try to get home (I did, hours later, through some bad white-out too). Many slept on the floor, on conference tables, etc., and ate whatever was in the building. Which wasn't much. They picked the vending machines clean, which had not been restocked that day due to the deepening snow. Somebody even ate the beef jerky sticks that stayed in the machine forever. Later, no one would own up to being THAT desperate.
Old 12-10-2009, 07:45 AM   #937
Give me a forum ...

It's much colder than usual here. I won't say how cold, or you midwesterners might laugh. But this morning it was 50 degrees in the bedroom when we woke up. We like it that cold -- we sleep better, but it makes it hard to get out of bed in the morning.
Old 12-10-2009, 09:28 AM   #938

Quote:
Originally Posted by TromboneAl View Post
It's much colder than usual here. I won't say how cold, or you midwesterners might laugh. But this morning it was 50 degrees in the bedroom when we woke up. We like it that cold -- we sleep better, but it makes it hard to get out of bed in the morning.
Conan joked on the Tonight Show yesterday that people in L.A. saw their breathe for the first time. They thought it was their soul leaving their body.

Meanwhile, i'm going to have to go outside soon where it'll be -15 windchill at the heat of the day.
Old 12-10-2009, 10:02 AM   #939

Forecast is for 9 F for tomorrow morning. Just add wood to the stove, and watch the world go by. It is nice to be able to stand at the window with a fresh cup of coffee.

I like this retirement thing.
Old 12-10-2009, 10:07 AM   #940
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by TromboneAl View Post
it makes it hard to get out of bed in the morning.
Must resist....