This weather is awful!! 2008-2021

Status
Not open for further replies.
Probably the Royal Sonesta. Thanks :flowers: - - like you, I have known and loved this city for years. Until about four and a half years ago I planned to stay here for the rest of my life, but you never know what will happen. The building in my avatar with the beautiful ironwork belongs to the Teamsters and is located on Elysian Fields. And, I took the photo after Katrina, just last year, since the building was essentially undamaged.

Hope that snow decides to just sort of slip off the roof and disappear pretty soon...

I thought this was pretty interesting - by far the most, and biggest, icicles we've ever had.
View attachment 8234
I've only ever read about this, but aren't those icicles a symptom of heat leaking up into the attic or blocked soffit vents that could eventually form an ice dam?

And just how strong are those gutter spikes?!?

That was it! Such a lovely place.
Yes, it is! I have never actually seen a room there, but my agency had conferences scheduled there from time to time so I have been in the lobby and conference facilities.

And everyone hates on California. Hell we got snow its up in the mountains. Something you can choose to drive to in 1.5 hrs. Maybe 2.5 if you need to put on chains to go up the summit. If you want the ocean and beaches you got about the same drive.

Buiahahah.:mad::angel::angel::LOL:

Really I need to get a chuckle for all the taxes we pay :whistle:

NML,

I don't hate on CA. In fact I loved it, the couple of times I visited (San Diego/San Francisco areas).

Amethyst

(Why am I up this late? Sick and tired of sleeping! Never, ever thought I'd say that :nonono:)

Ack! at first, I thought that piece of stuff on the floor must be the bird, after he flew into the snow blower! But I guess it is a leaf or something like :)

We're getting hammered this time, a good six inches on top of the almost three feet already there. It is so bad that we have a bird seeking refuge in the garage and refusing to leave. He flew in when I opened the door to clear snow. I put some bread pieces in there, hopefully he will not reward the generosity by pooping on the car.

It is a sad day when the snow thrower takes over the motorcycle's parking space in the garage.:(

I've only ever read about this, but aren't those icicles a symptom of heat leaking up into the attic or blocked soffit vents that could eventually form an ice dam?

Yes. And when the ice dam melts, it will seep down inside your walls. Mold here we come! I have an old 1 1/2 storey home which is susceptible to ice damming due to heat escaping through the vertical attic walls. This is best prevented by shovelling most of the snow off the roof before the ice dam forms. I know a good guy but I don't think he works in your area.....:greetings10:

Strong enough to kill you like a javelin through the heart if you happen to be standing underneath when they break off! :nonono:
Falling icicles kill six | Reuters
So take pictures, then break them off yourself.

I broke some big icicles off last night by whacking them with a shovel and my roof has huge drifts on it. I think we got about another foot of snow in the last 48 hours with a lot of high winds and drifting snow. I plan to reluctantly go in to the office today as I am on vacation next week and need to address a few issues before I leave. Thanks goodness for my big ol' gas guzzling SUV. This has gotten old quickly.

A few photo before the last 15 inches yesterday. Barely able to get the snowblower to throw above walls of snow.

Attachments

• P2061717.jpg
    P2061717.jpg
    506.9 KB · Views: 1
  • P2061716.jpg
    P2061716.jpg
    441.1 KB · Views: 2
  • P2061715.jpg
    P2061715.jpg
    370.1 KB · Views: 0

Yes, the icicles are definitely a sign of potential trouble. Not much we can do at this point, though. And honestly, every house in the neighborhood has these kinds of icicles hanging.

We've had trouble with ice damming from our front gutters in the past, and installed gutter heaters a few years ago. Hopefully that will minimize problems in the front, but there's nothing when can do for the back. Our best hope is for a slow melt.

One bit of trivia - it was reported on the news last night that we have moved into the #1 spot for most snowfall recorded for a season. And to think it's only early February. :nonono::nonono::nonono:

Yup, worried about my roof too. Both here and at the rental house. Thing is, the thought getting up on an icy/snowy roof with 50 mph wind gusts just doesn't seem real safe. There's no one to hire for the task - they're all making good cash money on much safer jobs.

DH actually thought about it and I freaked out. No way am I gonna lose the man I love to save insured property. Keeping all fingers and paws crossed hoping nothing caves in :eek:

My father called me before the second round of the storm and asked if we had cleared all the snow off the roof. I asked him if he knew how high up our roof was! :(

I wouldn't worry too much about a roof caving in, unless you have a flat roof. They are the most vulnerable. I'm more worried about water damage as this stuff melts, but I don't think there's much we can do about it.

We had that kind of snowfall the year before we moved to Florida . My husband had to take a hose with hot water to the gutters because they were frozen and melting inside the house . The water from the melting snow ruined our kitchen floor , our wallpaper and all the curtains .

We pay $20 to have our driveway shoveled and the short walk to the front door just as a measure for others. That's cheap Midwestern prices I guess, and he just does it and bills me making life just too darn easy here.

We've avoided the snow at our wigwam on the NC coast but the boat sure was gettin blown around on the lift even being back in a harbor. Winds W at 35-55mph all day yesterday and flooding on the access road to our island (liking my big ole 4WD on these days). Today things are back to normal. Guess every location has its challenges

YouTube - targadave's Channel

Attachments

• IMG_6965.JPG
    IMG_6965.JPG
    171.3 KB · Views: 0
It's been snowing for a while now. We're supposed to get 5 inches...that's ok, I don't have to go anywhere.....:greetings10:

We think a mouse got in the house last night. Never saw it, but the cats sure were uber interested in something. I'm sure it was seeking escape from the deep snow outside.

Attachments

• cat n mouse.jpg
    cat n mouse.jpg
    59.3 KB · Views: 1
beep a beep...deep deep beep beep...news flash...could get 9 inches of snow!

I'm really interested in seeing 9 inches.....:whistle:

Has the DFW area ever had this many days of snow in a single winter? This is nuts.

We've only managed a lot of cold rains in the 30s (such as today). A couple of systems produced a few flurries here, but that's been it other than a lot of rain. It's not been a good winter for people with SAD here...

We had icy rain coming down this afternoon - - the type that is ice but then melts upon hitting the ground. (Or is that sleet? I have no clue). It was melting so nicely that I even took my Venza out in it without worries, despite my inability to drive on snow or ice at all. As a result, I now have a brand new license plate on it. :D And, I am snug, cozy, and warm at home and not going to drive my new car again until the weather improves. I broke 100 miles on it earlier this week, and now have 110 miles on it.

Anyway we have just a little wintry mix predicted for tonight, nothing bad, but north of Lake Ponchartrain snow is predicted. In fact, in areas such as Dawg52's part of Mississippi I think 8 inches of snow is predicted. :eek:

Edited to add: I just checked the forecast: Ice pellets, sleet, freezing rain, and/or snow forecast for the metro New Orleans area (south shore) tonight. I don't like the sound of ice pellets and I sure hope we don't get hail!! I have a brand new shiny car sitting out on the driveway and no garage.

Don't forget water for the little guy. Just a small dish will do. :D

I did put some water in there for him but sadly, he was DOA this morning. Most likely from exhaustion, it was pretty nasty outside and I figured he'd be better off left in the garage overnight and then released in the morning.

At least I tried.

Yes it is nuts.

I've finally given up on trying to dress for the weather. I just wear layers now....I feel like a banana.

beep a beep...deep deep beep beep...news flash...could get 9 inches of snow!

I'm really interested in seeing 9 inches.....:whistle:

All I can say is
CatMad3.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom