Portal Forums Links Register FAQ Community Calendar Log in

Join Early Retirement Today
Closed Thread

Old 12-22-2008, 09:37 PM   #81
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by BunsGettingFirm View Post
Well, if you had told that story earlier, you could have had the BunsGettingFirm name.
That name would have fit me in uhhhhhh 1979........
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 12-23-2008, 02:35 AM   #82
Give me a forum ...

Honolulu is so boring, forecast HI 79 Low 67 repeat through Christmas, maybe we will get showers on Christmas day, Friday we are due for a cold snap 77.[/QUOTE]

Clifp,

I hope I live long enough to get bored with the weather in the islands. I suppose if I ever get too bored with it, I can go visit 'bad' weather on the mainland. Seriously, I did spend October in the midwest this year and it was perhaps the most beautiful weather and tree color I've experienced there in years. Maybe I miss that a little - but I'll deal with it!

Strangely, what I do miss is the "Weather Channel". Used to rely on that every morning before w*rk and every weekend before play. Even though weather rarely changes much here, I would love to have that channel in our lineup. Not only "local weather on the '8s" but they had weather stories from around the world. I always watched for the "tropical update", hoping to see the weather patterns over our islands. Now, I can see the weather here, first hand, but I still miss that channel. (Maybe it's the first sign of weather boredom. Oh, well!)

Anything which can be used can be misused. Anything which can be misused will be.
Old 12-23-2008, 03:26 AM   #83
Give me a forum ...

Oh trust me I love the boring weather here a lot having only being here 9 years. I often ask Kama'aina do you ever get bored with weather and they pretty much say are you kidding! Personally, I still chuckle every time I see the breathless promos for the local news with the two segments devoted to the weather forecast (although surf forecast is serious ) and the Hawaii severe weather channel. I play poker with one of the local sports casters and have asked why why the meteorologist don't video tape their forecasts a week in advance. He isn't sure either.

Personally CNBC this last year has been a great substitute for the Weather channel and associated hurricanes, floods, and tornadoes.

I'll admit is cruel to post on this thread,with many of virtual friends suffering, but I did use the right emoticon
Old 12-23-2008, 05:44 AM   #84

Quote:
Originally Posted by calmloki View Post
and a house a block & 1/2 away i was taking pics of yesterday - it took a good hit from an oak branch:

Yikes! This was what I was always afraid would happen to our house when we lived in PA. We had a HUGE oak tree - absolutely gorgeous - in our front yard. However, it was tall enough that if it went down it would have caused major damage to our house. We had a professional come in to prune it and also apply cables to it and another tree that was close to the house.

(55, married; Mr. Simple Girl, 59. FIRED 12/31/19!)
Old 12-23-2008, 06:53 AM   #85

Not too bad here, a high of 21 F yesterday and 32 F today. We've missed out on the snow and most of the ice so far, but it's early in the winter yet.

Being an optimist (sometimes) I'm going to check out a slightly used Yamaha 1300 touring motorcycle this afternoon. From the description over the phone I'll probably buy it, get it home somehow, and store it in the shed until April.

I'm the guy who registered a boat on a January day when the high temp was 5 F. The lady at DMV couldn't believe it.
Old 12-23-2008, 08:02 AM   #86
Full time employment: Posting here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by clifp View Post
Nords, don't forget the VOG (volcanic smog) its been pretty bad until today. I must say all this ice, snowstorms, wind chill below zero sounds very exciting, I am so envious of you folks with changing weather.

Honolulu is so boring, forecast HI 79 Low 67 repeat through Christmas, maybe we will get showers on Christmas day, Friday we are due for a cold snap 77.
Yeah, but MY GOD CLIFP! YOU'RE STUCK ON AN ISLAND!
Old 12-23-2008, 08:19 AM   #87
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso) Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Nords, don't forget the VOG (volcanic smog) its been pretty bad until today.
Ahhh, yes the dreaded VOG. Interesting what happens to certain types of security inks (used in printing financial documents) when exposed to the sulfur oxides, sulfate aerosols, trace metals and other chemical compounds in VOG. Half the fun was trying to figure out why documents printed on the mainland and distributed all over the US were fine except in HI, where the inks and paper did strange things...
Old 12-23-2008, 09:13 AM   #88
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Walt34 View Post
Being an optimist (sometimes) I'm going to check out a slightly used Yamaha 1300 touring motorcycle this afternoon. From the description over the phone I'll probably buy it, get it home somehow, and store it in the shed until April..
Cool Walt! I hope you post some pics!
Old 12-23-2008, 09:20 AM   #89
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Oh trust me I love the boring weather here a lot having only being here 9 years. I often ask Kama'aina do you ever get bored with weather and they pretty much say are you kidding! Personally, I still chuckle every time I see the breathless promos for the local news with the two segments devoted to the weather forecast (although surf forecast is serious ) and the Hawaii severe weather channel. I play poker with one of the local sports casters and have asked why why the meteorologist don't video tape their forecasts a week in advance. He isn't sure either.

Personally CNBC this last year has been a great substitute for the Weather channel and associated hurricanes, floods, and tornadoes.

I'll admit is cruel to post on this thread,with many of virtual friends suffering, but I did use the right emoticon
I like wide open spaces, so I would have claustrophobia living on a volcanic island..........

This Thread is USELESS without pics.........:)
Old 12-23-2008, 11:06 AM   #90
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by REWahoo View Post
Ahhh, yes the dreaded VOG. Interesting what happens to certain types of security inks (used in printing financial documents) when exposed to the sulfur oxides, sulfate aerosols, trace metals and other chemical compounds in VOG. Half the fun was trying to figure out why documents printed on the mainland and distributed all over the US were fine except in HI, where the inks and paper did strange things...
Never thought of that! Should we laminate our currency, or just minimize the adverse effects by spending it faster?

Vog has dropped our photovoltaic production by at least 10% this year. But the sunrises & sunsets have been even more gorgeous than usual.

Quote:
Originally Posted by FinanceDude View Post
I like wide open spaces, so I would have claustrophobia living on a volcanic island..........
People either love living here or they hate it, but there's rarely ambivalence or apathy...

Co-author (with my daughter) of “Raising Your Money-Savvy Family For Next Generation Financial Independence.”
Author of the book written on E-R.org: "The Military Guide to Financial Independence and Retirement."

I don't spend much time here— please send a PM.
Old 12-23-2008, 09:40 PM   #91
Give me a forum ...

It's officially the snowiest december ever in my city with 33" so far. They're forcasting another 4"+ for the next 24 hours so we'll shatter the record
Old 12-23-2008, 09:52 PM   #92
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by aaronc879 View Post
It's officially the snowiest december ever in my city with 33" so far. They're forcasting another 4"+ for the next 24 hours so we'll shatter the record
Visiting the sisters in Wisconsin and sharing the same snow. It was down from 8" that Fox was predicting yesterday.
Old 12-23-2008, 10:20 PM   #93
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by bssc View Post
Visiting the sisters in Wisconsin and sharing the same snow. It was down from 8" that Fox was predicting yesterday.
If you're down near milwaukee area you could still get up to 8 inches with this latest storm. Drive safely.
Old 12-23-2008, 10:26 PM   #94
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by aaronc879 View Post
If you're down near milwaukee area you could still get up to 8 inches with this latest storm. Drive safely.
We are not planning on going anywhere, we are from Arizona.
Old 12-23-2008, 11:48 PM   #95

I cannot wait for winter to be OVER! I know....it's just begun, but I have had it already
Old 12-24-2008, 04:25 AM   #96
Moderator Emeritus

We got about 6" of snow yesterday to cover the ice, but we have a heat wave coming!

Old 12-24-2008, 04:50 AM   #97

78 today, 76 tomorrow, 77 on Friday! Jacksonville Florida

Mike
Old 12-24-2008, 04:59 AM   #98
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quote:
Originally Posted by wrigley View Post
78 today, 76 tomorrow, 77 on Friday! Jacksonville Florida Mike
We left Orange Park last Friday (12/19) and it had been great as we were down there a week. Driving back to Ohio the temperature was falling about 2 degrees every 100 miles, but it was still in the 50's when we got home. This past week has been a tad COLD. Currently, just put the dog out, it is a lot warmer and just a light rain. Glad we did not get a Ice Storm. We sill like the spring, summer and fall, here in Ohio better than the spring, summer and fall, down there, and we lived there (Orange Park) for 19 years. Just need to find someplace further south to hide for the winters.
Old 12-24-2008, 05:19 AM   #99

Quote:
Originally Posted by OAG View Post
We left Orange Park last Friday (12/19) and it had been great as we were down there a week. Driving back to Ohio the temperature was falling about 2 degrees every 100 miles, but it was still in the 50's when we got home. This past week has been a tad COLD. Currently, just put the dog out, it is a lot warmer and just a light rain. Glad we did not get a Ice Storm. We sill like the spring, summer and fall, here in Ohio better than the spring, summer and fall, down there, and we lived there (Orange Park) for 19 years. Just need to find someplace further south to hide for the winters.
I was born and raised in Chicago. My entire family still lives there. I left many years ago when I joined the Navy. Last Sunday when it was -27 degrees with the wind chill in Chicago, my son and I were teeing off at TPC Sawgrass Valley Course in shorts!

Mike
Old 12-24-2008, 07:09 AM   #100

Quote:
Originally Posted by bbbamI View Post
Cool Walt! I hope you post some pics!
Well, I didn't buy the Yamaha, but I did buy a 2008 Suzuki C90T motorcycle, black in color. With the economy supposedly going down the tubes this makes sense, no? I won't actually get it until next week because the dealer has to order some of the extras (driving lights, tachometer, luggage rack, etc.) that I want on it.

At the moment our driveway is covered with ice. I guess my timing could be better.

http://www.suzukicycles.com/Products/C90TK9