Join Early Retirement Today

Old 12-24-2009, 03:20 PM   #981
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by unclemick View Post
Stayed North this year...
I thought North is where Kumquat, EdGypsy, and Meadbh call home, or perhaps even FB or Martha

Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 12-24-2009, 04:42 PM   #982
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by unclemick View Post
The sleet has turned to snow. 30 Degrees and headed lower.

Whoopeee!!

White Christmas. Stayed North this year and didn't drive to New Orleans or Florida or Arizona or Alabama or San Diego.

Even at 4 yrs since Katrina - snow hasn't gotten old yet.

heh heh heh - that and being in ER helps timing of not 'having' to drive. .
Sounds like fun, Unclemick!!! Enjoy the snow, and Merry Christmas.

W2R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2009, 07:45 PM   #983
Give me a forum ...

It's been snowing since 1 p.m. The temp is 28 degrees and the wind is really kickin' up. I took a pic just a minute ago of the backyard. From the pic it looks like we're getting snowflakes the size of baseballs...
Attached Images
File Type: jpg DSC01196.jpg (464.7 KB, 4 views)
Old 12-24-2009, 08:46 PM   #984
Recycles dryer sheets

Heh....my son is still plodding along somewhere west of here trying to make it home. He gave up on I-20 somewhere around Abilene. Wrecks everywhere. He's been in 4 wheel drive for 60 miles on the back roads last we heard.
Old 12-24-2009, 09:54 PM   #985
Give me a forum ...

Yeah Poundkey...snow sure can slow things down, especially in TX. I'm sure he'll be just fine.
Old 12-24-2009, 10:47 PM   #986
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by bbbamI View Post
Yeah Poundkey...snow sure can slow things down, especially in TX. I'm sure he'll be just fine.
Yea...it slowed him down to a stop.....and into a sleeping bag for the night. We'll see him sometime in the morning.
Old 12-25-2009, 09:11 AM   #987
Moderator Emeritus

We had about 8 inches early yesterday. During a break in the storm I managed to pull out the telemark skis and trudged around the old farm. Snowshoes probably would have been easier. We are thinking about firing up the old sauna and throw some steam to warm our bones. During the night last night we got about another foot and it is still coming down. Time to heat up the sauna again. Expected total is about 24 inches. We will wait a day for the upper midwest to plow out and then I am heading south of here.

No more lawyer stuff, no more political stuff, so no more CYA

Martha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2009, 01:54 PM   #988
Give me a forum ...

25 F on the back porch here in Bellingham the last two nights.

Maybe it will be easier to sell Mexico to DW by and by?

Feliz Navidad, y'all.
And I don't care how big your truck is."
Ed_The_Gypsy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2009, 10:41 PM   #989
Give me a forum ...

Just check on the Web the temperature in my boonies home area: 30F high, and 6F low!
Old 12-26-2009, 08:08 AM   #990
Give me a forum ...

We got our glazing of ice and some fine sleet overnight. The good news is it will warm up today and turn to rain except in higher elevations. The bad news is I live in one of those darn "higher elevations".
Old 12-26-2009, 11:25 AM   #991
Give me a forum ...

Our weather is wonderful. Christmas in these parts is usually grey and soggy, but for the last few days it has been beautiful. Sunny, clear, and only cold enugh to keep you from sweating up your clothes.

I think I'll soon finish my drawn-out breakfast and head downtown. If I see anything intersting, I'll put up some video. I got a Mino camcorder yesterday. Smaller than a pack of cigarettes. I expect to have it with me most of the time from now on.

Ha
Old 12-26-2009, 12:21 PM   #992
Give me a forum ...

Our weather is also great . Yesterday the sun came out just in time for my big gathering . Some people ate out on the deck and with the lights overlooking the water it was picture perfect . The kids all went outside as soon as they ate and played until it was time to leave except for Ashley who granted me the privilege of playing with the doll house I bought her .
Old 12-29-2009, 04:31 AM   #993
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

I was checking the weather in Sarasota,FL(possible retirement or earlier relocation destination) and they had a windchill advisory because it was 34 degrees with the windchill! That's laughable! It's 40 degrees colder here and no advisory.
Old 12-30-2009, 12:01 PM   #994
Recycles dryer sheets

Rain this afternoon.
No golf in south Mississippi.
Looking for nice weather tomorrow in the 50's and no rain.
Golf then.
Old 12-30-2009, 03:29 PM   #995
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Weather had been ok. 32 at night. 55 during the day. I prefer 40 at night and 60 during the day for the winter. However, such is life deal with the changes. I had to put on pants the last few weeks instead of shorts. A bit of rain too. The leaves...really I cant stand them. I suspect I would only be happy in Hawaii.
Old 12-31-2009, 05:28 AM   #996

I wish humans could hibernate. If I could I'd sleep until April. The last of last week's two-foot snowfall was almost gone and now it's snowing again. Last night temp went to 16 F. From now until April I go outside to go to work and buy food. That's it.

I gave up on the motorcycle and put it in the shed with a fresh oil change, stabilized fuel, a battery tender and covered it up. With all the riding gear I'm good for short rides down to the 30's but below that it's just not fun anymore and with ice the hazard from melting snow it's probably unwise to keep riding. Ya think?

DW is happy to have the bike out of the garage. Now she can open the passenger door on her car and I don't have to fold the mirrors on the truck.
Old 12-31-2009, 06:06 AM   #997
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Martha View Post
We had about 8 inches early yesterday. During a break in the storm I managed to pull out the telemark skis and trudged around the old farm. Snowshoes probably would have been easier. We are thinking about firing up the old sauna and throw some steam to warm our bones. During the night last night we got about another foot and it is still coming down. Time to heat up the sauna again. Expected total is about 24 inches. We will wait a day for the upper midwest to plow out and then I am heading south of here.
You're poor Statue of David! Having to stand next to that cold window naked! Brrrrrrr!!!!

When you make it down to south TX look us up! We on our way back - hopefully be there Jan 1st to stay for several months while they build our house. We're staying in Retama Village.

Audrey

P.S. Speaking of awful weather - that heavy rain system forced us off the road before noon yesterday. Pulled into a CampingWorld in Hammond LA to wait it out.
Old 12-31-2009, 07:57 AM   #998
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Walt34 View Post
I wish humans could hibernate. If I could I'd sleep until April. The last of last week's two-foot snowfall was almost gone and now it's snowing again. Last night temp went to 16 F. From now until April I go outside to go to work and buy food. That's it.
Well y'know, from what you have said you don't really HAVE to work though it gives you something to do, provides extra spending money, and so on.

And as for food... if you stock up your pantry and freezer, you could probably last a month or so easily.

It seems to me that the job and food are not really what is sending you outside in the snow. It's the lack of something you enjoy doing that would keep you busy and happy while inside at home. But then, I guess anybody would get "cabin fever" after a while.

That's a lot of snow.

W2R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2010, 09:38 AM   #999
Give me a forum ...

It's -34 degrees Centigrade outside (or -29.2 Fahrenheit). Brrrrr! Time for a hot breakfast. Better plug the car in.....well, at least the sun is shining on the new decade!
Old 01-01-2010, 10:16 AM   #1000
Give me a forum ...

It's 66 and rainy here . Great day to stay inside and read . Instead of pork and sauerkraut this year we are having ribs and coleslaw .