Join Early Retirement Today
Closed Thread

Old 01-05-2010, 02:22 PM   #1021
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dawg52 View Post
Hate to tell you this, but you sound like my mother.
You never know, I might BE your mother!! No, not really. But honestly I do sound like my own mother, who died two years ago last September. I don't grieve over her death any more because I see her when I look in the mirror, and I take comfort in her verbal expressions and gestures which I see in what I say and do.

I will be good and will let it get colder in here, once I am sure I am rid of this VILE, vile, vile chest cold. I think it has receded from chest to head in the past day or two, though I take nothing for granted. And upon typing that, I started to cough again...

Happily retired since 2009, at age 61. Best years of my life by far!
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-05-2010, 03:40 PM   #1022
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by W2R View Post
That definitely looks snowy!!

I looked up one of our four advisories, here:

National Weather Service Watch Warning Advisory Summary

and it looks like temperatures are going to be in the teens and twenties here in New Orleans later this week. This is almost unheard of! Anyway, I am glad that I have cold weather gear (a nice warm hooded jacket and gloves, anyway) which I use when we visit Missouri sometimes.

I just went to the grocery store and although the sun was out, it was COLD...
Good grief! Looks like something we would see in late spring here.

Soup in the crockpot is the best remedy for this kind of weather.
Old 01-07-2010, 12:12 PM   #1023
Give me a forum ...

28 degrees...tonight's low 'bout 16. thank goodness I have my own 'private summers'.
Old 01-08-2010, 08:33 PM   #1024
Give me a forum ...

Frozen scorpions! Frigid fire ants! Chattering chiggers!

Already down to 21ºF at 9:30 PM with a forecast overnight low of 11º. The all time low for January 9 here is 12º, so we could make history in about 9 hours or so. We have a space heater strategically positioned that is providing surprisingly decent heat to half of the house (where we'll be sleeping and where the thermostat is) for probably about 15 cents an hour, so I think we can set the thermostat back to 60 tonight and prevent this 10 kilowatt electric resistance money-suck from turning on too much while we sleep. The faucets have started their overnight drip.
"Hey, for every ten dollars, that's another hour that I have to be in the work place. That's an hour of my life. And my life is a very finite thing. I have only 'x' number of hours left before I'm dead. So how do I want to use these hours of my life? Do I want to use them just spending it on more crap and more stuff, or do I want to start getting a handle on it and using my life more intelligently?" -- Joe Dominguez (1938 - 1997)
Old 01-08-2010, 08:45 PM   #1025
Give me a forum ...

Yep Ziggy...this TX weather is startin' to annoy me....
Old 01-08-2010, 08:48 PM   #1026
Give me a forum ...

BRRRR!! You are making me feel warm (almost). It's all of 32 here, with a forecast low of 25. We are expecting record temperatures tonight or tomorrow night, too.

It has been windy, too, so we are expecting wind chill temperatures around 15 tonight.

This morning I awakened to discover that my side door had blown wide open and was flapping in the wind! Since it was still in the 20's outside the temperature in my house was definitely "brisk". When it gets cold like this, that particular door shrinks a little and can blow open even when it is locked. Tonight I will use the extra sliding bolts to make sure it stays shut.

Old 01-08-2010, 08:48 PM   #1027
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by bbbamI View Post
Yep Ziggy...this TX weather is startin' to annoy me....
This isn't what we signed up for down here. It wouldn't be so bad if we'd get these big masses of Arctic air in July and August...
"Hey, for every ten dollars, that's another hour that I have to be in the work place. That's an hour of my life. And my life is a very finite thing. I have only 'x' number of hours left before I'm dead. So how do I want to use these hours of my life? Do I want to use them just spending it on more crap and more stuff, or do I want to start getting a handle on it and using my life more intelligently?" -- Joe Dominguez (1938 - 1997)
Old 01-08-2010, 08:51 PM   #1028
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by ziggy29 View Post
This isn't what we signed up for down here. It wouldn't be so bad if we'd get these big masses of Arctic air in July and August...
Yes, remember how hot it was last summer in Texas? All those days over 100. The average annual temperature is probably very pleasant...

Old 01-08-2010, 08:51 PM   #1029
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Well, the day that happens we might as well kiss our behinds goodbye!
Old 01-09-2010, 03:55 AM   #1030
Give me a forum ...

Had a few good hours of sleep under a total of four sheets including our heaviest comforter. Got up to make sure the heat is still going, the faucets are still dripping and flowing fine...

Oh, yeah -- and a little before 5 AM it's 12ºF -- tied the record -- and the coldest part of the day (typically) is still about two hours away...

Time to go burrow under the sheets again. I'm not tired any more, but dang it, it's time to get warm again.
Old 01-09-2010, 04:40 AM   #1031
Give me a forum ...

Temperature here is 48F, expected high 69F. Currently surfing comfortably in bed with trusty laptop. Just checking temperature up in boonies home area: 42 Hi, 20 Lo. Not bad at all. Maybe I'll just live out the rest of my life here, and just visit the PNW with the future RV. Life is good. And the market is rising.

"Those Who Can Make You Believe Absurdities Can Make You Commit Atrocities" - Voltaire (1694-1778)
Old 01-09-2010, 10:03 AM   #1032
Give me a forum ...

23 right now and 18 when I walked the mutt this morning. But next week will get better. Tuesday high near 50 and Wed mid 50's. Looks like golf may be on the agenda next week.
Old 01-09-2010, 10:06 AM   #1033
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
23 right now and 18 when I walked the mutt this morning. But next week will get better. Tuesday high near 50 and Wed mid 50's. Looks like golf may be on the agenda next week.
We bottomed out at 10. We have a new record...
Old 01-09-2010, 10:39 AM   #1034
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quote:
We bottomed out at 10. We have a new record...
Man, you must live on top of one of them hills with nothing between you and the Arctic Circle except for a couple of scrawny Mesquite and a broken down fence somewhere in Oklahoma.

Speaking of Oklahoma, it looks like I'm going to have to make a road trip there in the morning. With the temps they're having up there I think I better take a rifle in case of Polar Bear attack.

Once I thought to myself, "Oh, we should move somewhere that has all four seasons." If this is what winter looks like for everyone else, pfffffft.
Old 01-09-2010, 10:41 AM   #1035
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leonidas View Post
Man, you must live on top of one of them hills with nothing between you and the Arctic Circle except for a couple of scrawny Mesquite and a broken down fence somewhere in Oklahoma.
You would think, but not really. We do get a little colder than a lot of the towns around us because we're in a somewhat low-lying river valley, but still...

Already back up to 34 with the sun out and very calm, dry air. And I can assure you that 34º has *never* felt so warm...
Old 01-09-2010, 01:27 PM   #1036

My crazy DH is out playing frisbee golf in the park in this weather. Current temp 28 deg F, windchill of 21. He is bundled up in layers and layers. Crazy. Yep, he's officially addicted.

(55, married; Mr. Simple Girl, 59. FIRED 12/31/19!)
Old 01-09-2010, 01:39 PM   #1037
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by simple girl View Post
My crazy DH is out playing frisbee golf in the park in this weather. Current temp 28 deg F, windchill of 21. He is bundled up in layers and layers. Crazy. Yep, he's officially addicted.
I just got back from the country club. Same temps here too but didn't bother me. I had a nice shrimp po-boy with fries. Oops......told on myself. There goes the diet. I'll eat a salad tonight.
Old 01-09-2010, 01:48 PM   #1038

Quote:
I just got back from the country club. Same temps here too but didn't bother me. I had a nice shrimp po-boy with fries. Oops......told on myself. There goes the diet. I'll eat a salad tonight.
Did you play golf in this weather, or just go to eat?

(55, married; Mr. Simple Girl, 59. FIRED 12/31/19!)
Old 01-09-2010, 01:59 PM   #1039
Give me a forum ...

Let me just say that I never thought a 45º afternoon would feel like a warm day.
Old 01-09-2010, 02:14 PM   #1040
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by simple girl View Post
Did you play golf in this weather, or just go to eat?
Only the 19th hole.
Closed Thread