Join Early Retirement Today

Old 01-19-2010, 11:03 AM   #1061
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quote:
Originally Posted by ziggy29 View Post

Sorry for those of you dealing with a lot of snow, but you'll have your revenge come July and August...
Oh, don't remind me.... Hot and sticky....stuck in the house with the air conditioner. Please bring back summer soon!

Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-27-2010, 04:13 AM   #1062
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Snowing lightly today, temps in the 30s...with very little snow pack on the ground. Unusual for this latitude and time of year. However, February and March never disappoint in the heavy duty snow department.
Only 2 more months until the spring mud season arrives.

Old 01-27-2010, 04:22 AM   #1063

Just went through 5 straight days of rain in Az. High temps around 55-60. Some high winds knocking cactus over. Now back in Il settling into a streak of 20 degree days with no snow in the forecast.
Old 01-27-2010, 10:51 PM   #1064

Winters over. Some of the bulbs have shoots sticking up out of the ground. Saw two trees that have buds just starting to open, showing a bit of white petal. A bunch of trees have swelling buds. I was fighting with some vine that already put little leaves out. The last three days have been great to be outside, highs in the 60's. But supposed to turn cold Thursday night.

Oh yeah... I had to fight off chiggers, fire ants, ebola, mask of the red death, etc. so you don't want to come here
Old 01-28-2010, 05:18 AM   #1065
Full time employment: Posting here.

Major Snow to my east in Fort Erie, Niagara and Buffalo. About an inch here. Brutal Wind Chill this morning. Worse tonight.
Old 01-28-2010, 06:06 AM   #1066
Moderator Emeritus

The last two weeks of January are the pits--last week there was no sunshine for seven straight days, this week we see the coldest stretch so far. But the days are getting longer and February is almost here.
Old 01-28-2010, 07:12 AM   #1067
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by bruce1 View Post
Major Snow to my east in Fort Erie, Niagara and Buffalo. About an inch here. Brutal Wind Chill this morning. Worse tonight.
And here I sit east of you awaiting experiencing a major lake efect snow storm...the false color of red and yellow on this radar map
NWS radar image loop of Composite Reflectivity from Montague, NY
correlates with 2-3 inches per hour snowfall rates. I live south of all that red/yellow mess. If the wind coming across Lake Ontario shifts to originating from the NW, I am toast.

The good news..I am FIREd and don't have to drive. Plus I sent dh2b in with the 4WD today, so he will be fine.

Making this thread USEFUL with pictures...
Attached Images
File Type: jpg SnowstormJan10AutoCorrect.jpg (31.4 KB, 5 views)
Old 02-04-2010, 02:10 PM   #1068

I guess I'm not going to be riding the motorcycle much:
...WINTER STORM WARNING IN EFFECT FROM 10 AM FRIDAY TO 10 PM EST
SATURDAY...

THE NATIONAL WEATHER SERVICE IN STERLING VIRGINIA HAS ISSUED A
WINTER STORM WARNING FOR HEAVY SNOW WITH NEAR-BLIZZARD
CONDITIONS...WHICH IS IN EFFECT FROM 10 AM FRIDAY TO 10 PM EST
SATURDAY. THE WINTER STORM WATCH IS NO LONGER IN EFFECT.

* PRECIPITATION TYPE...HEAVY SNOW.

* ACCUMULATIONS...STORM TOTAL ACCUMULATIONS OF 16 TO 24 INCHES.

* TIMING...SNOW WILL BEGIN MID-MORNING FRIDAY...AND WILL CONTINUE
THROUGH SATURDAY EVENING. CONDITIONS WILL DETERIORATE RAPIDLY
FRIDAY AFTERNOON...WITH HEAVIEST SNOWFALL OCCURRING BETWEEN
SUNSET FRIDAY TO SUNRISE SATURDAY. THE MOST HAZARDOUS WINTER
WEATHER CONDITIONS WILL OCCUR FRIDAY NIGHT...WHEN THE
COMBINATION OF HEAVY SNOW AND STRONG WINDS WILL REDUCE
VISIBILITIES TO BELOW ONE-QUARTER MILE...PRODUCING NEAR-BLIZZARD
CONDITIONS.

* TEMPERATURES...HIGHS IN THE LOWER 30S FRIDAY. FRIDAY NIGHT AND
SATURDAY...TEMPERATURES WILL BE IN THE MID 20S.

* WINDS...BECOMING NORTHEAST 10 TO 20 MPH FRIDAY WITH GUSTS TO 30
MPH FRIDAY NIGHT AND SATURDAY.
Old 02-04-2010, 02:15 PM   #1069

We're definitely in full El Nino mode here. Cool and wet and wet and wet and wet. Just last summer we were having one of the worst droughts ever, and the grounds are supersaturated now and the lakes are almost back to normal. And the forecast for the next 4-6 weeks says more cool and wet weather than normal.

This is going to be a nice wildflower season in the Texas Hill Country. Unfortunately I'll be mowing a half acre of yard every week for six months if this keeps up.
"Hey, for every ten dollars, that's another hour that I have to be in the work place. That's an hour of my life. And my life is a very finite thing. I have only 'x' number of hours left before I'm dead. So how do I want to use these hours of my life? Do I want to use them just spending it on more crap and more stuff, or do I want to start getting a handle on it and using my life more intelligently?" -- Joe Dominguez (1938 - 1997)
ziggy29 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2010, 02:24 PM   #1070
Administrator

Quote:
Unfortunately I'll be mowing a half acre of yard every week for six months if this keeps up.
That's a lot of yard to mow, and yes, the grass is going to grow another three inches every time you turn around, with all this rain.

When I was around 56-57, I decided I was getting too old to mow any more and hired a lawn guy. Guess I am lazy but I truly hated mowing in the heat and humidity we have here in New Orleans. Sometimes it is easier to LBYM in other parts of the budget.

― B. Lee

W2R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2010, 02:29 PM   #1071

Quote:
Originally Posted by W2R View Post
When I was around 56-57, I decided I was getting too old to mow any more and hired a lawn guy. Guess I am lazy but I truly hated mowing in the heat and humidity we have here in New Orleans. Sometimes it is easier to LBYM in other parts of the budget.
Yeah, I know. I may cave in and hire someone this year. The problem is that with a yard this size, I'd probably have to eat about $50 every time.

I doubt we'll be here too many more years, for a number of reasons. In fact, there's a chance that we may not even be homeowners in another year or two. But a lot of things have to happen first before that would be the case.
"Hey, for every ten dollars, that's another hour that I have to be in the work place. That's an hour of my life. And my life is a very finite thing. I have only 'x' number of hours left before I'm dead. So how do I want to use these hours of my life? Do I want to use them just spending it on more crap and more stuff, or do I want to start getting a handle on it and using my life more intelligently?" -- Joe Dominguez (1938 - 1997)
Old 02-04-2010, 02:33 PM   #1072
Administrator

Quote:
Yeah, I know. I may cave in and hire someone this year. The problem is that with a yard this size, I'd probably have to eat about $50 every time.
Probably so. I pay $35/mow for a 50'x100' lot. I used to pay $25/mow but this guy is much more reliable.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ziggy29
I doubt we'll be here too many more years, for a number of reasons. In fact, there's a chance that we may not even be homeowners in another year or two. But a lot of things have to happen first before that would be the case.
Sounds like some changes are afoot. Hope things work out for the best.

― B. Lee

W2R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2010, 02:41 PM   #1073

Quote:
Originally Posted by W2R View Post
Sounds like some changes are afoot. Hope things work out for the best.
Thanks. This would be a very good thing for us if it happens.
Old 02-04-2010, 03:09 PM   #1074
Moderator Emeritus

Send a message via AIM to Khan
...winter storm warning in effect from 4 am friday to 6 pm est saturday...

The national weather service in wilmington has issued a winter storm warning for heavy snow...which is in effect from 4 am friday to 6 pm est saturday. The winter storm watch is no longer in effect.

A mix of sleet...freezing rain and snow will overspread the area late tonight into friday morning. Light ice accumulation will be possible with this activity. Precipitation will become primarily snow by late friday morning...though rain may mix in at times during the afternoon. Occasional snow will continue friday night
and saturday. Total snowfall accumulations of 4 to 8 inches are expected. Locally higher amounts are possible...especially across central ohio.

Heavy snow is forecast to accumulate in the warned area causing hazardous driving conditions.
Old 02-04-2010, 03:51 PM   #1075
Give me a forum ...

Lots of "chances" for my area...chance of flurries, chance of snow, chance of snow showers...and not a single lake effect snow warning.
With all these unusual "chances" floating around, maybe I should go buy a NYS Lotto ticket, for the princely sum of $1 for 2 drawing entries.
Hey, ya never know. A dollar and a dream.
Old 02-04-2010, 04:03 PM   #1076

Just returned from 2 weeks in the sunny south. Found more than a foot of snow, and DS and the snow-blower had managed the minimum.
Old 02-04-2010, 04:36 PM   #1077
Moderator Emeritus

That’s a wonderful photo, Freebird, reminds me of impressionist paintings, Renoir maybe.

Raining here.
Old 02-04-2010, 05:04 PM   #1078
Give me a forum ...

1 to 2 feet of snow predicted for the DC area tomorrow. Just shoot me now.

bbbamI, I've run out of negative emotions. Can you help?
Old 02-04-2010, 05:53 PM   #1079
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by CuppaJoe View Post
That’s a wonderful photo, Freebird, reminds me of impressionist paintings, Renoir maybe.

Raining here.
I just scrolled back and looked at the picture again. I used my cell phone to take the pic during a really heavy snowstorm. The heaviness of the snowfall was not entirely captured by the camera.
I look at my backyard, every single day, all seasons, and never realized how pretty it really is, until you pointed that out.
Thanks, I needed that to cure my just-back-from-FL whining and raging cabin fever.
Old 02-04-2010, 06:01 PM   #1080
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Purron View Post
1 to 2 feet of snow predicted for the DC area tomorrow. Just shoot me now.

bbbamI, I've run out of negative emotions. Can you help?
Hang on...here I go!

last, but not least.....