Join Early Retirement Today
Closed Thread

Old 02-05-2010, 07:44 PM   #1101
Recycles dryer sheets

I've got 10 inches down and its coming down at 2 inches an hour now at 9-10 pm. Starting to blow too. The snow is very wet. I bent out the door to measure it and got soaked immediately. I'm in central MD and not in the worst of it (yet).
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-05-2010, 07:49 PM   #1102
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tesaje View Post
I've got 10 inches down and its coming down at 2 inches an hour now at 9-10 pm. Starting to blow too. The snow is very wet. I bent out the door to measure it and got soaked immediately. I'm in central MD and not in the worst of it (yet).
Tesaje: my snow buddy and a fellow cat lover to boot Notice how the cats are unconcerned? As long as the cat food holds out, they're just fine.
Old 02-05-2010, 07:50 PM   #1103
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quote:
Originally Posted by Purron View Post
Tesaje: my snow buddy and a fellow cat lover to boot Notice how the cats are unconcerned? As long as the cat food holds out, they're just fine.

Cats crack me up. Food, some place to poo properly and something warm to snuggle up with.
Old 02-06-2010, 09:00 AM   #1104

Fortunately DW had the foresight to make a big pot of chili yesterday. This morning we cleared snow that was up to the height of the intake on the snow thrower. No motorcycling anytime soon.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Blizzard 2010-02-06 010.JPG (138.8 KB, 2 views)
Old 02-06-2010, 10:33 AM   #1105
Give me a forum ...

Hey Walt34 - your neighborhood looks a lot like mine. I'm making chili tonight.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg P1010225.JPG (407.2 KB, 1 views)
File Type: jpg P1010222.JPG (415.8 KB, 1 views)
File Type: jpg P1010228.JPG (412.1 KB, 1 views)
File Type: jpg P1010221.JPG (415.6 KB, 1 views)
Old 02-06-2010, 11:49 AM   #1106
Give me a forum ...

Holy crap! How many feet inches did y'all get?
Old 02-06-2010, 11:58 AM   #1107
Moderator Emeritus

Rainy day here but I don't get it. Here, on a rainy day people get this dreamy look on their faces, "ah, it's snowing in the mountains," that is, on the ski slopes. Now they can put chains on their tires, take a miserable five hour drive that stretches to thirteen or so because of snow conditions, and come back Monday morning with harrowing travel stories.
Old 02-06-2010, 12:08 PM   #1108
Give me a forum ...

No snow where I am of course unless we drive up to our high-country boonies home, but we might get some rain this evening. Still, I have been itching to have this chance to post one of my favorite songs since adolescence.

It's "Tombe la neige" by Salvatore Adamo, written in 1963 when this Belgian of Sicilian origin was only 20. He has several that I love, but this one is well known through Europe and Asia. The following video has squirrels and birds both for animal lovers.

Tombe la neige
Tu ne viendras pas ce soir
Tombe la neige
Et mon cœur s'habille de noir
Ce soyeux cortège
Tout en larmes blanches
L'oiseau sur la branche
Pleure le sortilège

Snow falls
You will not come tonight
Snow falls
And my heart is dressed in black
This silky procession
All a white tear
The bird on the branch
Weeps a magic spell

"Those Who Can Make You Believe Absurdities Can Make You Commit Atrocities" - Voltaire (1694-1778)
Old 02-06-2010, 12:43 PM   #1109
Give me a forum ...

This guy is destined to be a cult figure:

"Hey, for every ten dollars, that's another hour that I have to be in the work place. That's an hour of my life. And my life is a very finite thing. I have only 'x' number of hours left before I'm dead. So how do I want to use these hours of my life? Do I want to use them just spending it on more crap and more stuff, or do I want to start getting a handle on it and using my life more intelligently?" -- Joe Dominguez (1938 - 1997)
Old 02-06-2010, 12:57 PM   #1110
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by bbbamI View Post
Holy crap! How many feet inches did y'all get?
Over 30". Here's my famous Webber grill shot from this storm. For comparison purposes, I included the shot from last December's storm too.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg P1010233.JPG (419.6 KB, 0 views)
File Type: jpg Back Door.JPG (383.7 KB, 0 views)
Old 02-06-2010, 01:07 PM   #1111
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by ziggy29 View Post
LOVE this guy zig
Old 02-06-2010, 01:08 PM   #1112
Give me a forum ...

Oh Ziggy...that guy is a hoot! ....and a little crazy...

Over 30 inches...keep the kitties inside or you'll never find them in the snow! If you have to go outside, don't fall down!
Old 02-06-2010, 01:33 PM   #1113
Gone but not forgotten

Send a message via AIM to Khan

Old 02-06-2010, 01:49 PM   #1114
Moderator Emeritus

Oh boy, Tombe la neige. Him, I understand and would remember what he says. My iPod weather report usually shows rain coming out of the sun, what does that mean? Oh boy, be prepared.
Old 02-06-2010, 01:57 PM   #1115
Give me a forum ...

Nice pics Khan! But at first I thought that squirrel was eating food from a campfire....
Old 02-06-2010, 01:57 PM   #1116
Moderator Emeritus

Wow, Walt34, Purron, Khan, and others - - you are really getting hammered! Quite a storm.

Happily retired since 2009, at age 61. Best years of my life by far!
Old 02-06-2010, 02:01 PM   #1117
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by W2R View Post
Wow, Walt34, Purron, Khan, and others - - you are really getting hammered! Quite a storm.
No kidding. I feel guilty in reporting good weather news: that here in Central Texas, after one of the worst droughts in recorded history last year, Lake Travis (the largest reservoir in the chain in the Austin area) is within a foot of *normal* for this time of year and still rising. It should be ABOVE normal later in the upcoming week. Six months ago it looked pretty desperate and was close to 30 feet below normal. El Nino to the rescue....
"Hey, for every ten dollars, that's another hour that I have to be in the work place. That's an hour of my life. And my life is a very finite thing. I have only 'x' number of hours left before I'm dead. So how do I want to use these hours of my life? Do I want to use them just spending it on more crap and more stuff, or do I want to start getting a handle on it and using my life more intelligently?" -- Joe Dominguez (1938 - 1997)
Old 02-06-2010, 02:56 PM   #1118
Give me a forum ...

Yes, I was wondering about that terrible drought. We do not have a drought last year, and still welcome precipitation here in AZ any chance we have.

Here is another "Tombe la neige" video. This one uses a not-so-old recording and the sound quality is better.

"Those Who Can Make You Believe Absurdities Can Make You Commit Atrocities" - Voltaire (1694-1778)
Old 02-06-2010, 03:29 PM   #1119
Give me a forum ...

We usually do not have much snow in the boonies area of our 2nd home, but here is a photo taken out the rear deck after a big storm in 2006.

Old 02-06-2010, 04:51 PM   #1120
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

We got 12 inches of snow in Morgantown WV when my DH measured earlier today. I shoveled my driveway and it is a heavy snow. My DH did his much longer driveway, sidewalk, porch and steps. He used a snow blower part of the time, but said that it was not really good for this much snow, so he used a snow shovel also.

Boy, what a difference a week can make in your life. I just returned 2/1 from a cruise to Aruba. Totally different weather! I gained 3 lbs while I was away, so today was a good workout toward losing the weight.

I have a pot of chili cooking also.
Closed Thread