Join Early Retirement Today

Old 12-24-2008, 07:17 AM   #101
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quote:
Originally Posted by Walt34 View Post
Well, I didn't buy the Yamaha, but I did buy a 2008 Suzuki C90T motorcycle, black in color. With the economy supposedly going down the tubes this makes sense, no? I won't actually get it until next week because the dealer has to order some of the extras (driving lights, tachometer, luggage rack, etc.) that I want on it.

At the moment our driveway is covered with ice. I guess my timing could be better.

http://www.suzukicycles.com/Products/C90TK9
Congrats! However, what does your moto have to do with the economy? Did you get the CNBC and S&P ticker package

Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 12-24-2008, 07:24 AM   #102
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Cool yesterday, around high 40's. Today suppose to get to 71. Already 65 and the front steps are wet from the humidity. I wish it would just stay in the low 50's. The swing in temps are crazy. But, that's Mississippi weather.

Old 12-24-2008, 07:24 AM   #103

Quote:
Originally Posted by wrigley View Post
I was born and raised in Chicago. My entire family still lives there. I left many years ago when I joined the Navy. Last Sunday when it was -27 degrees with the wind chill in Chicago, my son and I were teeing off at TPC Sawgrass Valley Course in shorts!

Mike
I left Chicago (Cicero actually). Lived all over the city proper (West Side (there really isn't an East Side is there?), North Side, Downtown, etc.). I left at 17 to join the Army. Except for a couple of times the DW and DK lived there while I was out of the country, I have never went back to live either. Visited a few times but it sure is not the city I remember. DW and I will be moving a bit south of where we are at now in a couple of years. Maybe North Alabama or Tennessee but not Florida this time.

I am guessing but from your name you may still be a Cub fan!
Old 12-24-2008, 07:53 AM   #104
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by OAG View Post
I left Chicago (Cicero actually). Lived all over the city proper (West Side (there really isn't an East Side is there?), North Side, Downtown, etc.). I left at 17 to join the Army. Except for a couple of times the DW and DK lived there while I was out of the country, I have never went back to live either. Visited a few times but it sure is not the city I remember. DW and I will be moving a bit south of where we are at now in a couple of years. Maybe North Alabama or Tennessee but not Florida this time.

I am guessing but from your name you may still be a Cub fan!
South side boy actually.....60th and Pulaski. I've been a Cubs fan my whole life. I still hear the SH^$ from the Sox fans. My fondest memories of Cicero are "Home Run Inn" pizza!

Mike
Old 12-24-2008, 07:58 AM   #105

Quote:
I still hear the SH^$ from the Sox fans.
Yeah, but mostly it's only when the Sux Sox lost the game that day....they won't talk about how cr*ppy the Sox did, only how the Cubbies s*ck.

I was born under a cusp....Dad was a Cards fan (born & raised in MO), and Mom was (and still is) a diehard Cubs fan. When we go to Cubs vs. Cards games, I wear a 'cardinal red' shirt, and a Cubs cap...gotta cover all the bases!
Old 12-24-2008, 08:07 AM   #106
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goonie View Post
Yeah, but mostly it's only when the Sux Sox lost the game that day....they won't talk about how cr*ppy the Sox did, only how the Cubbies s*ck.

I was born under a cusp....Dad was a Cards fan (born & raised in MO), and Mom was (and still is) a diehard Cubs fan. When we go to Cubs vs. Cards games, I wear a 'cardinal red' shirt, and a Cubs cap...gotta cover all the bases!

I had the pleasure of taking my family to Wrigley for a Cubby game about 4 years ago. Prior to that game, 1973 was the last time I was in Wrigley Field!

Mike
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Dsc00945.jpg (147.5 KB, 6 views)
Old 12-24-2008, 09:35 AM   #107

Quote:
I had the pleasure of taking my family to Wrigley for a Cubby game about 4 years ago. Prior to that game, 1973 was the last time I was in Wrigley Field!

Mike
We're fortunate in that the owner of the tour company we travel with a lot, is an avid Cubs fan and gets a bus load of tickets to a LOT of games! This year I think he had tickets for about 35 games at Wrigley, 4-5 at Milwaukee, and 4-5 at St. Louis.......40-50 tickets for each game! Since a couple of his long-time employees are South-side fans, he sees that he acquires tickets to about a half dozen Sox games as well.

Not sure where the seating is for the Sox games, but seating for the Cubs games is in the lower tier behind the Cubs dugout...maybe 10-12 rows up....good seats!

Last year for his (the owner's) birthday, his DW put together a trip to Chicago for a Wrigley Tour....got to go through the clubhouse's, sky-boxes, dugouts, bleachers, broadcasting booths, and on to the field. She also made reservations at his favorite Italian restaurant (can't recall the name) for dinner. It was a nice birthday present, as he got to spend quality time with about 45 of his fellow Cubby friends, and even have a great birthday dinner with them (us).

She had requested that he drive the bus.....only because he likes the Cubs. She didn't tell him about the dinner until he was ready to head the bus back home. She told him she'd like to take a ride past a certain spot, since we had plenty of time. When we got near the restaurant, he mentioned that that was his favorite restaurant on the corner. She had him turn the corner, and they had put up traffic cones to reserve a spot on the side for the bus to park....then he figured it all out! He and everyone else had a great day!
Old 12-24-2008, 09:37 AM   #108

When I was in Chicago, I had to do a little hunting but I found a postcard of Wrigley Field to send to our friends who are Cubbie fans.
Old 12-24-2008, 01:20 PM   #109
Give me a forum ...

Quote:

Mike
Good pic. Never been there but would love to one day. Oh yes....it's 73 and sunny here today. Too hot for this time of the year.
Old 12-24-2008, 03:57 PM   #110

According to the 'weatherman' we will be above 0F on Sat. for the first time in 2 weeks. Anybody want to bet on his accuracy?
Old 12-24-2008, 04:44 PM   #111

Sunny & 60 degrees here in E. Texas today. Low of 37 tonight though - brrrrr!

Oh well, low tomorrow night supposed to be 52 - so maybe we'll go camping this weekend.

We'll get our dreary weather in Jan/Feb though.
Old 12-24-2008, 06:31 PM   #112

Quote:
I've been a Cubs fan my whole life.
My condolences. (just kidding) I'm a Sox fan, but enjoy watching the Cubs also.

Quote:
My fondest memories of Cicero are "Home Run Inn" pizza!
Some stores now sell frozen Home Run Inn pizzas - not as good as at the restaurant.
Old 12-24-2008, 06:48 PM   #113
Give me a forum ...

We got more snow today, then some rain. It is freezing again now. It is very hard to get around on foot or in a car, and many bus routes are still shut down.

The worst was that this afternoon before things started freezing hard everytime you stepped down off the curb to cross a street you couldn't quite tell how deep the pool of freezing water and slush was.

I was planning a small cocktail party but had to cancel because the hills getting here are just too hazardous.

Ha
Old 12-24-2008, 06:53 PM   #114
Give me a forum ...

This is one for the record books - 47 degrees on Christmas Eve in upstate NY.
Melt, damned snow, melt.
nyah ha ha
Old 12-24-2008, 06:57 PM   #115
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso) Give me a forum ...

Sorry to hear so many of you have experienced such miserable weather. After a few days of overcast skies, fog, drizzle and temps in the 30's & 40's, the sun came out and we made it to 70 today. The next couple of days are expected to be slightly warmer.

Meanwhile the scorpions, fire ants, chiggers and other assorted critters continue to multiply and gain strength for the Spring invasion...

When I hit 70, it hit back

Retired in 2005 at age 58, no pension
REWahoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2008, 06:59 PM   #116
Moderator Emeritus

Send a message via AIM to Khan
Quote:
Originally Posted by REWahoo View Post
Sorry to hear so many of you have experienced such miserable weather. After a few days of overcast skies, fog, drizzle and temps in the 30's & 40's, the sun came out and we made it to 70 today. The next couple of days are expected to be slightly warmer.

Meanwhile the scorpions, fire ants, chiggers and other assorted critters continue to multiply and gain strength for the Spring invasion...
A below zero night or two does cut back on the bugs the following summer.
Old 12-24-2008, 08:25 PM   #117

Quote:
Originally Posted by Khan View Post
A below zero night or two does cut back on the bugs the following summer.
Napalm helps too.
Old 12-24-2008, 10:52 PM   #118
Moderator Emeritus

54 degrees here and drizzling. Looks like a j*b for Rudolph.
Old 12-25-2008, 06:44 AM   #119
Give me a forum ...

Sorry about some of the miserable weather we are having high 70's here in Florida . I'm having a bunch for Christmas dinner so it looks like we'll be eating on the deck . Merry Christmas to all .
Old 12-25-2008, 06:49 AM   #120
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moemg View Post
Sorry about some of the miserable weather we are having high 70's here in Florida . I'm having a bunch for Christmas dinner so it looks like we'll be eating on the deck . Merry Christmas to all .
Naughty girl...

As if you didn't know..If the above message contains medical content, it's NOT intended as advice, and may not be accurate, applicable or sufficient. Don't rely on it for any purpose. Consult your own doctor for all medical advice.
Rich_by_the_Bay is offline   Reply With Quote