Join Early Retirement Today

Old 02-12-2010, 10:29 AM   #1221
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nords View Post
Dude.

Why, gosh, yesterday I was surfing in 74-degree water and it was raining and after just 90 minutes my hands were numb. I was shivering so hard that the beach shower felt warm, and it took the entire drive home without air conditioning* for me to warm up!

*I've never turned on the heat in this car and wasn't sure how to do it, let alone whether it would operate safely...
How about pulling my finger? Got the mutt out for a little fun in the snow. He had a good time too, his first snow. Funny, we have had some snow for 3 straight years. Prior to that, maybe 1 over a 10 year span. Actually snow is pretty neat here. You get to enjoy it for a day or 2 and then its gone. Probably will get to play golf next week.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg snow2010 023.jpg (407.6 KB, 2 views)
File Type: jpg snow2010 032.jpg (477.2 KB, 1 views)

Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-12-2010, 11:50 AM   #1222
Administrator

Amazing to see that much snow in Mississippi!! Glad your new doggy had fun.

Retired in 2009 at age 61.

Mini-pension 13%, SS 20%, investments 67%.

W2R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2010, 02:07 PM   #1223
Give me a forum ...

I am just astounded beyond words at what is going on with the snow down in the mid-Atlantic and Southern states. And boy do I know my snow.
Here in Lake Effect Country, we are getting nothing but light dustings.
Ooops..I know better than to say things like that.
Old 02-12-2010, 02:10 PM   #1224
Administrator

I just heard that there is snow in every single state except Hawaii right now. What a winter.

Old 02-12-2010, 02:23 PM   #1225
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by W2R View Post
I just heard that there is snow in every single state except Hawaii right now. What a winter.
Oh boy. This will get Nords goin' again for sure
Old 02-12-2010, 02:35 PM   #1226
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Well, what about that strange white stuff on Mauna Kea and Mauna Loa?

Mauna Kea Volcano, Hawai`i
RonBoyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2010, 02:39 PM   #1227
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Actually.... I can't get the link to open on USAtoday.com , but there is a headline that snow is expected to be on the ground in all 50 states at the same time, a very unusual meteorlogical experience.

Bestwifeever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2010, 02:42 PM   #1228
Administrator

They said on Fox News (where I heard this) that while often there is snow on Mauna Kea and Mauna Loa, that right now at this specific moment there wasn't any. All they need is one snowfall there and we'll have all 50 states, you're right!

With any luck it will start snowing there before Nords reads this.

Old 02-12-2010, 03:09 PM   #1229
Moderator Emeritus

The USAtoday headline (which I still can't open) just changed to 49 states with snow--they wanted to wait until I posted the first headline about all 50.... Stupid media sensationalists.

We have had sunshine here all day--yay!

Bestwifeever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2010, 03:19 PM   #1230
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bestwifeever View Post
The USAtoday headline (which I still can't open) just changed to 49 states with snow--they wanted to wait until I posted the first headline about all 50.... Stupid media sensationalists.

We have had sunshine here all day--yay!
That is GREAT, especially after all the snow you have been enduring!

Here, it has been gloomy and dark, in the 30's but feeling much colder probably due to wind and humidity. The drizzle/rain earlier felt like icewater. Now that it has paused, "Lake W2R" in my back yard has disappeared. Not my favorite weather, but better than any day at work...

Old 02-12-2010, 05:21 PM   #1231
Moderator Emeritus

Somehow I am missing all these snows. Right now I am in Oklahoma and it is nice.

No more lawyer stuff, no more political stuff, so no more CYA

Martha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2010, 06:02 PM   #1232
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Martha View Post
Somehow I am missing all these snows. Right now I am in Oklahoma and it is nice.
Happy to hear it, but isn't that snow in your avi BTW, our local forecast for the DC area calls for more snow on Monday
Old 02-12-2010, 06:49 PM   #1233
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dawg52 View Post
How about pulling my finger? Got the mutt out for a little fun in the snow. He had a good time too, his first snow. Funny, we have had some snow for 3 straight years. Prior to that, maybe 1 over a 10 year span. Actually snow is pretty neat here. You get to enjoy it for a day or 2 and then its gone. Probably will get to play golf next week.
Those are adorable mutt pictures Dawg!

We are just a few hours north and east of you in Birmingham, AL. The news said we got between 1 and 4" of snow...very variable. As you can see from this pic, we got only a light dusting. If you look closely you can see the snow. Pretty, but not painful, LOL.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Snow in AL Feb 2010 001.jpg (838.3 KB, 0 views)

(49, married; DH 53. I am fully retired as of 2015 (well ok, I still work part-time but only because I love the job and have complete freedom to call off if I want to travel with hubby for work), DH hopes to fully retire 2018 when he turns 55 to access 401K penalty-free...although he may decide to do part-time consulting)
simple girl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2010, 07:20 PM   #1234

61. I busted out the shorts today for the afternoon walk. Hope ya all are stayen warm. Aww Nords has it around 74. Gosh guess thats the price I pay.
Old 02-12-2010, 07:52 PM   #1235
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by simple girl View Post
Those are adorable mutt pictures Dawg!

We are just a few hours north and east of you in Birmingham, AL. The news said we got between 1 and 4" of snow...very variable. As you can see from this pic, we got only a light dusting. If you look closely you can see the snow. Pretty, but not painful, LOL.
With all due respect simple girl: "THAT AIN'T SNOW". This is snow:
Attached Images
File Type: jpg P1010231.JPG (411.4 KB, 0 views)
Old 02-12-2010, 08:00 PM   #1236

Quote:
Originally Posted by Purron View Post
With all due respect simple girl: "THAT AIN'T SNOW". This is snow:
Hey, I know it. I was mocking the forecasters down here saying we had a "winter warning". Then we ended up with a dusting. My gym class was canceled tonight b/c people are afraid of the roads maybe becoming icy. LOL. I grew up in PA. I know more about snow than I wanna ever know. You guys have gotten pommeled by snow!! I'm just glad to not be in it this time!

(49, married; DH 53. I am fully retired as of 2015 (well ok, I still work part-time but only because I love the job and have complete freedom to call off if I want to travel with hubby for work), DH hopes to fully retire 2018 when he turns 55 to access 401K penalty-free...although he may decide to do part-time consulting)
simple girl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2010, 09:34 PM   #1237
Give me a forum ...

Just read in the USA Today newspaper that 49 states had snow today. The only state without snow is Hawaii.
Old 02-12-2010, 09:59 PM   #1238
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dawg52 View Post
Heard on the news that you guys had 12", pretty amazing. It's coming down here. Here is an early morning pic. I'll take another when it has done what's it's going to do.
Hey...your neighborhood looks a lot like mine. I bet you live just down the street from me don't ya?
Old 02-12-2010, 10:32 PM   #1239
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Purron View Post
Oh Nords! I can't get mad at you though. I'll never forget the helpful tips you gave me when DH broke is arm this past summer. We still have a big bottle of the aloe with the lidocane you recommended. That stuff saved him from going insane.
BTW, his arm is doing great now. He had no problem shoveling the 5 foot drifts.
Glad that worked out. But otherwise I try to hold back on the weather posts unless unnecessarily provoked.

Quote:
They said on Fox News (where I heard this) that while often there is snow on Mauna Kea and Mauna Loa, that right now at this specific moment there wasn't any. All they need is one snowfall there and we'll have all 50 states, you're right!
With any luck it will start snowing there before Nords reads this.
Nah, then they'd be holding the Mauna Kea Snowboarding Championships, which come off even less frequently than the Eddie Aikau.

Waitaminnit... does this imply there's snow in Florida?!?

Let's just hope right now that the Saints don't repeat next year...

The book written on E-R.org, "The Military Guide to Financial Independence and Retirement", on sale now! For more info see "About Me" in my profile.
I don't spend much time here anymore, so please send me a PM. Thanks.
Nords is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2010, 05:22 AM   #1240

We have gotten slammed here in the Pittsburgh area this year but not as bad as the poor folks in D.C. or Philly or Baltimore. About 30 years ago we were living in Tidewater VA and I remember we had more snow one winter that Buffalo, NY. Sometimes it just works out like that. Things don't shut down around here like they did in VA, however, other than the schools. Some of my co-workers like this weather as they go skiing several times a week at local resorts and parks. I leave for Houston tomorrow and hope I don't see any snow there.