Join Early Retirement Today

Old 02-13-2010, 05:36 AM   #1241

DW just commented this morning that there is at least one good effect from all this snow:

We haven't spent a nickel for a week.

Of course, she's going nuts from cabin fever but that's another story.

Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-13-2010, 05:54 AM   #1242
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Walt34--Pretty much the same here except that I did order some New Braunfels Smokehouse jerky online as it came highly recommended by another forum member. Not for myself, but for my son, as he is a jerky connoisseur. Have been eyeing up some stuff on LLBean, too, as I have a coupon, but have not ordered yet. But, yes, I have no desire to slog through snow covered parking lots and try to find a space amongst huge mounds of snow. I have been making a beeline for home after work and saving money as a result.

Old 02-13-2010, 06:48 AM   #1243
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Still can't get out

We are still waiting for a plow to clear our driveway. Had to take my vacation time, as the main roads are clear and work isn't closed. In the picture, I'm standing inside one of the drifts. Have not had snow come up this high on me since I was 9 years old.

Amethyst
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Snowdrift 12 Feb 10.jpg (558.4 KB, 3 views)
Old 02-13-2010, 07:05 AM   #1244
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by simple girl View Post
Hey, I know it. I was mocking the forecasters down here saying we had a "winter warning". Then we ended up with a dusting. My gym class was canceled tonight b/c people are afraid of the roads maybe becoming icy. LOL. I grew up in PA. I know more about snow than I wanna ever know. You guys have gotten pommeled by snow!! I'm just glad to not be in it this time!
I'm sure growing up in PA did teach you a thing or two about snow. I have a friend from Buffalo NY. She is a snow expert.

Sometimes the forecasters go overboard and get people in a panic when it's not justified. Even so, I understand how folks who have little experience with winter weather need to be extra careful.
Old 02-13-2010, 08:02 AM   #1245
Full time employment: Posting here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by WhoDaresWins View Post
We have gotten slammed here in the Pittsburgh area this year but not as bad as the poor folks in D.C. or Philly or Baltimore. About 30 years ago we were living in Tidewater VA and I remember we had more snow one winter that Buffalo, NY.
That's exactly what the weatherman said on the news last night - that we in the DC area have had more snow this year than Buffalo, NY.

One interesting possible side-effect may be our reaction to snow. Normally around here when they call for just a few inches of snow, we all turn into quivering bowls of jelly (myself included). Now they are calling for more snow on Monday, but say "don't worry - it will just be a few inches".
Old 02-13-2010, 08:09 AM   #1246
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by easysurfer and others View Post
Just read in the USA Today newspaper that 49 states had snow today. The only state without snow is Hawaii.
Yesterday:
Quote:
That's raising the prospect that by day's end there may be some "snow cover" in all 50 states (some of Hawaii's volcano peaks almost always have at least a little of the white stuff).

The wonder of all that has University of Oklahoma meteorological student Patrick Marsh on a quest. He's trying to collect fresh snow photos from all 50 states.
Well, he did it.

Ramblings of a Graduate Student Snow Shot of America

Buried somewhere in the 700 or so e-mails he still has to sift through, though, just could be the shot from Hawaii that confirms what he's sure of -- snow on the ground there Friday in the upper elevations.
RonBoyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2010, 09:00 AM   #1247
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by RonBoyd View Post
... just could be the shot from Hawaii that confirms what he's sure of -- snow on the ground there Friday in the upper elevations.
Sorry, we FedExed all ours to Vancouver. They need it more than we do and the publicity was just too good to pass up.

The book written on E-R.org, "The Military Guide to Financial Independence and Retirement", on sale now! For more info see "About Me" in my profile.
I don't spend much time here anymore, so please send me a PM. Thanks.
Nords is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2010, 10:18 AM   #1248
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Walt34 View Post
DW just commented this morning that there is at least one good effect from all this snow:

We haven't spent a nickel for a week.

Of course, she's going nuts from cabin fever but that's another story.

Well she is in the minority because my ebay sales have been booming with orders from the Northeast !
Old 02-13-2010, 10:26 AM   #1249
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moemg View Post
Well she is in the minority because my ebay sales have been booming with orders from the Northeast !
Yeah, I made a bid on a used putter yesterday. I need it like I need a hole in my head. Broke up the boredom though.
Old 02-13-2010, 11:16 AM   #1250

Just when I thought we'd seen all the different types of bad winter weather we can have down here, we had a new one when I woke up this morning: freezing fog.
"Hey, for every ten dollars, that's another hour that I have to be in the work place. That's an hour of my life. And my life is a very finite thing. I have only 'x' number of hours left before I'm dead. So how do I want to use these hours of my life? Do I want to use them just spending it on more crap and more stuff, or do I want to start getting a handle on it and using my life more intelligently?" -- Joe Dominguez (1938 - 1997)
ziggy29 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2010, 11:47 AM   #1251

Quote:
Originally Posted by Amethyst View Post
We are still waiting for a plow to clear our driveway. Had to take my vacation time, as the main roads are clear and work isn't closed. In the picture, I'm standing inside one of the drifts. Have not had snow come up this high on me since I was 9 years old.

Amethyst
Thats a lot of snow - I'd ride over with my atv/plow, but your situation looks like it may be too tough for my atv to handle

Just spent several hours jury rigging my water purifier drain line that froze and cleaned up the water that had backed up into the basement. I'll have to wait until spring for the line to thaw and fix it correctly.
Old 02-13-2010, 01:03 PM   #1252
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ronstar View Post
Thats a lot of snow - I'd ride over with my atv/plow, but your situation looks like it may be too tough for my atv to handle
Ron, I'm really impressed that you're willing to come all the way from Illinois to clear my driveway! You're right, though, it was more than a regular plow could handle, since there already were 4-foot snow walls from where we tried to dig ourselves out last Monday.

Finally got a fellow with a Bobcat to do the job today. Took him quite a while, too. Hope it's not all for naught, with more snow predicted for Monday.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ronstar View Post
Just spent several hours jury rigging my water purifier drain line that froze and cleaned up the water that had backed up into the basement..
Bleagh. Sorry for the mess! I have such a dread of water getting in the house--it is one of my commonest nightmares, far outranking the "lost, late, and naked in public" ones.

Amethyust
Old 02-13-2010, 01:43 PM   #1253
Full time employment: Posting here.

Did a run on the creek trail today.

I ran shirtless for a few miles to make sure I got a good dose of vitamin D.

All of the trees are in bloom. It was nice.

Californians are generous people. We decided that we didn't really need all four seasons so we donated our portion of winter to those of you in New England and the upper Midwest. Now we only have three. It's tough but I think we can handle it
Old 02-13-2010, 01:51 PM   #1254
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by ksr View Post
That's exactly what the weatherman said on the news last night - that we in the DC area have had more snow this year than Buffalo, NY.
There are 2 little towns a ways north of me that can outdo Buffalo for snow any time - Redfield NY and Barnes Corners NY on the Tug Hill Plateau. Those towns have been Weather Channel favorites in past years for record storm episode and annual snowfalls.
Old 02-13-2010, 02:01 PM   #1255
Moderator Emeritus

Send a message via AIM to Khan
Quote:
Originally Posted by ziggy29 View Post
Just when I thought we'd seen all the different types of bad winter weather we can have down here, we had a new one when I woke up this morning: freezing fog.
Such is a common occurrence here in Ohio.
Old 02-13-2010, 02:12 PM   #1256
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

We had a lot of freezing fog this year too. It really is pretty when it forms on the trees and grasses but not too great if you must drive in it.

Khan, have you seen any robins in your area lately? I noticed one today in my neighborhood while driving. Just now got back inside from letting the dog out and goodness, I bet there were 50-75 robins sitting in trees. What happened to robins being the first sign of spring? It's Feb. folks...this is really weird. Is the cold in the south sending the robins up north?
Old 02-13-2010, 04:26 PM   #1257
Give me a forum ...

Ruh-roh

Looks like we got some snow damage. Called our insurance company today. An adjuster should call us tomorrow. No water coming in the house, but this is very worrisome. Any advise or suggestions most welcome as long as they don't involve DH getting on the roof. This part of our home is about 25 feet from the ground - well make that about 20 feet considering the snow drifts....
Attached Images
File Type: jpg P1010245.JPG (406.6 KB, 1 views)
File Type: jpg P1010246.JPG (409.0 KB, 1 views)
Old 02-13-2010, 04:35 PM   #1258
Administrator

I don't have a clue about what to do (knowing nothing about snow).

But I was thinking - - you mentioned that the major roads are clear, for now. Maybe now would be a good time to put a concerted effort into getting someone over there to shovel the roof. It may cost you money, given the demand right now, but it would be worth it if you can get someone.

Make sure he is bonded and insured, of course.

― N. Gaiman (2002)

W2R is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2010, 04:41 PM   #1259
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by W2R View Post
I don't have a clue about what to do (knowing nothing about snow).

But I was thinking - - you mentioned that the major roads are clear, for now. Maybe now would be a good time to put a concerted effort into getting someone over there to shovel the roof. It may cost you money, given the demand right now, but it would be worth it if you can get someone.

Make sure he is bonded and insured, of course.
I'm thinking, and please correct me anyone if I'm wrong, that we should see what the adjuster recommends first. When I reported this I expressed my concern this could evolve into further damage inside our home. The rep I talked to wanted to know if we had taken any action and when we noticed the problem. Answer: we noticed it today and haven't done anything yet because we wanted to do what ever will minimize the damage and expense.

If this ends up resulting in major damage, I'd hate to mess up future claims by doing the wrong thing. BTW, our insurance company is Nationwide. We've had a good experience with them during the past 20 years, including when a major hail storm in our area resulted in having our siding and roof replaced about 10 years ago.
Old 02-13-2010, 04:48 PM   #1260
Administrator

Good idea - - might be best to ask your agent before you try to hire someone. Don't know if he would want you to do that, or not.

Sometimes they want you to wait, but sometimes they want you to take reasonable measures to prevent further damage (or else they won't pay for the further damage).

― N. Gaiman (2002)

W2R is online now   Reply With Quote