Join Early Retirement Today

Old 02-13-2010, 04:50 PM   #1261
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Purron View Post
I'm thinking, and please correct me anyone if I'm wrong, that we should see what the adjuster recommends first. When I reported this I expressed my concern this could evolve into further damage inside our home. The rep I talked to wanted to know if we had taken any action and when we noticed the problem. Answer: we noticed it today and haven't done anything yet because we wanted to do what ever will minimize the damage and expense.

If this ends up resulting in major damage, I'd hate to mess up future claims by doing the wrong thing. BTW, our insurance company is Nationwide. We've had a good experience with them during the past 20 years, including when a major hail storm in our area resulted in having our siding and roof replaced about 10 years ago.
Purron, I'm sorry you have this problem. Clearly, snow has melted and entered your soffit through your roof. If there is moisture in the soffit, there's probably moisture in the attic too. Any insulation up there will probably have to be replaced. I agree with getting the adjuster, but I do think that since snow on the roof is the root cause here, the snow needs to come off the roof! In my neck of the woods, failure to have the snow shovelled off the roof would be grounds for the insurance company to decline payment.

Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-13-2010, 05:05 PM   #1262
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Meadbh View Post
In my neck of the woods, failure to have the snow shovelled off the roof would be grounds for the insurance company to decline payment.
I'm not aware of a single house in my area that has had their roof shovelled. I live in a suburb of Washington DC and, as we all know, this area has been hard hit. I've heard of some commercial buildings having roofs shovelled but these were flat roofs. This has already been declared the most snow since records have been kept. How could this be grounds to decline payment?

Old 02-13-2010, 05:26 PM   #1263
Recycles dryer sheets

Yeah, here in Columbus,oh we have a good two feet of snow on the ground and,yet I have seen numerous confused robins around. I guess it could be GPS failure !!
Old 02-13-2010, 05:28 PM   #1264
Moderator Emeritus

Send a message via AIM to Khan
Quote:
Originally Posted by happy2bretired View Post
We had a lot of freezing fog this year too. It really is pretty when it forms on the trees and grasses but not too great if you must drive in it.

Khan, have you seen any robins in your area lately? I noticed one today in my neighborhood while driving. Just now got back inside from letting the dog out and goodness, I bet there were 50-75 robins sitting in trees. What happened to robins being the first sign of spring? It's Feb. folks...this is really weird. Is the cold in the south sending the robins up north?
No robins yet.

2 years ago, kept a robin alive with cat food and heated water dish.
Old 02-13-2010, 05:34 PM   #1265
Full time employment: Posting here.

Quote:
I'm not aware of a single house in my area that has had their roof shovelled. I live in a suburb of Washington DC and, as we all know, this area has been hard hit. I've heard of some commercial buildings having roofs shovelled but these were flat roofs. This has already been declared the most snow since records have been kept. How could this be grounds to decline payment?
Purron, I live in the DC area as well. I've only seen one house have their snow shovelled off, and that one is across the street from me. I saw yestereday they had a couple of contractors shovelling their roof. Otherwise, I've probably seen hundreds of home who have not done anything with their snow.

If I were certain that I could get a competent and knowledgeable contractor, I'd consider it. But just watching the activity across the street yesterday made me nervous. They were digging at the roof (asphalt shingles) with their shovels, and I couldn't help but wonder if they might be doing as much harm as good. Plus, I noticed today that there is still ice a-plenty in their gutters.

I find myself walking around the inside and outside of my house daily looking for signs of trouble.
Old 02-13-2010, 06:03 PM   #1266
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by ksr View Post
Purron, I live in the DC area as well. I've only seen one house have their snow shovelled off, and that one is across the street from me. I saw yestereday they had a couple of contractors shovelling their roof. Otherwise, I've probably seen hundreds of home who have not done anything with their snow.

If I were certain that I could get a competent and knowledgeable contractor, I'd consider it. But just watching the activity across the street yesterday made me nervous. They were digging at the roof (asphalt shingles) with their shovels, and I couldn't help but wonder if they might be doing as much harm as good. Plus, I noticed today that there is still ice a-plenty in their gutters.

I find myself walking around the inside and outside of my house daily looking for signs of trouble.
Thanks. Meadbh's comment made me think we could be declined coverage for failure to shovel the roof. Perhaps this is true, but I still think it's a big risk for either the homeowner or a contractor to do this. Plus, as you pointed out, it could actually make matters worse. This is a serious situation and I'd rather deal with uncovered losses than someone slipping off a roof and dying.

My DH wanted to go up there to shovel the roof or try to fix the gutter problem. You can't imagine how much this scared me. I talked him out of it. Hope this was the right thing to do.
Old 02-13-2010, 07:10 PM   #1267
Administrator

Quote:
Thanks. Meadbh's comment made me think we could be declined coverage for failure to shovel the roof. Perhaps this is true, but I still think it's a big risk for either the homeowner or a contractor to do this. Plus, as you pointed out, it could actually make matters worse. This is a serious situation and I'd rather deal with uncovered losses than someone slipping off a roof and dying.

My DH wanted to go up there to shovel the roof or try to fix the gutter problem. You can't imagine how much this scared me. I talked him out of it. Hope this was the right thing to do.
That was DEFINITELY the right thing to do. You don't want him up there risking life and limb doing that (and neither do I! and I don't even know him). Even if you and he decide someone needs to get up there, it doesn't have to be him (if you decide this then just pay someone who does this for a living). I saw the photos and that roof is really high and I think that is just too dangerous for your husband.

― N. Gaiman (2002)

W2R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2010, 07:22 PM   #1268
Moderator Emeritus

When our garage roof collapsed due to snow the insurance company didn't ask if the snow had or had not been shoveled off the roof. We had a snow "rake" to remove snow from a roof but we quit doing it years ago. Too hard, too dangerous.

Our old home got serious ice dams, there was no way to improve ventilation so it would not occur. When we re-roofed the place we put an ice shield membrane up 8 feet to protect the roof from the ice. Worked great. And some years we had ice dams that looked to be 8 inches thick.

No more lawyer stuff, no more political stuff, so no more CYA

Martha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2010, 07:24 PM   #1269
Give me a forum ...

I had the same problem years ago in New Jersey . We did not shovel the roof because it was so high but we did put hot water in the gutters to melt them and get things moving . It helped a little but we still had damage to the walls and floors of the kitchen and living room . I had to leave piles of towels on the sills and the floors to absorb the water then dry them and start again each day for about ten days . This is what pushed the move to Florida .
Old 02-13-2010, 11:30 PM   #1270
Give me a forum ...

Here's what State Farm Insurance says about this. The diagram is helpful.

Ice Dams and Attic Condensation - State Farm
Old 02-14-2010, 06:58 AM   #1271
Give me a forum ...

Quote:

Very helpful. Thanks. I'll let everyone know what the adjuster says. Have a feeling we're not the only ones who have, or will have, this problem. After all, this winter has broken all the records.
Old 02-14-2010, 07:05 AM   #1272
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

[QUOTE=Khan;904113]No robins yet.

I heard one a few days ago. Don't know it wintered over or just sohwed up early.
Old 02-14-2010, 07:27 AM   #1273
Full time employment: Posting here.

Quote:

Yes, very helpful. Thanks.

I'll mention one other thing that seems to have helped at least our front gutter. That gutter is right up against the house, rather than a foot or so out from it, and we had ice damming problems in the past. We installed a gutter heater - essentially a cable that stays in the gutter year-round. Whenever we get snow or ice, we plug it in and it keeps from getting too much ice built up in there. It seems to have helped as we've not had a problem with that gutter since. Of course we don't have one installed in the back gutter, and things looks really ugly back there at the moment. Just hoping for a slow melt.
Old 02-14-2010, 08:33 AM   #1274

The robins were still in the neighborhood this morning. It was like Grand Central Station in our backyards. It's quite a sight...kinda like the movie THE BIRDS. There were quite a few bare spots where the snow had melted and I'm sure they were foraging for food yesterday...it's snowing today so maybe they will need to move on.
Old 02-14-2010, 02:35 PM   #1275

Quote:
Originally Posted by happy2bretired View Post
The robins were still in the neighborhood this morning. It was like Grand Central Station in our backyards. It's quite a sight...kinda like the movie THE BIRDS. There were quite a few bare spots where the snow had melted and I'm sure they were foraging for food yesterday...it's snowing today so maybe they will need to move on.

We have had a hummingbird back for the 3rd straight year. Making a nest on our wind chime. They have basically used the same set up. Pretty neat other than spraying the cats off with squirt bottles it has been a enjoyable experience. I have video of the momma feeding her babies. Though this year. I think we got some dead ones. Momma was in the nest for a few days but then she took off and has been gone for over 2 days. I have not the heart to look.
Old 02-15-2010, 11:56 AM   #1276
Give me a forum ...

It's sunny in my neck o' the woods, but don't let that fool ya. It's about 40 F and the wind is blowing around 30 mph. It will rip ya a new one!

Most of the snow is gone except for half-melted snowmen blobs scattered about.

Oooooh...I just noticed this is post # 5,000 for me. Whew, I've been busy...I need a vacation...
Old 02-15-2010, 12:04 PM   #1277
Give me a forum ...

It was snowing overnight (4") and an inch or so of light snow fell all morning. Lake effect is staying well north of me right now.
Oh how I love a true west wind...nyah nyah na nyah naaaaa
NWS radar image loop of Composite Reflectivity from Montague, NY

If it shifts to a true NW wind, no more laughing at Mother Nature for me.
Old 02-15-2010, 01:31 PM   #1278
Give me a forum ...

(The weather is) Awful but beautiful in many ways:

Dakotagraph: Frosty scenery
RonBoyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2010, 06:31 AM   #1279

Fortunately the forecast 3-5 inches of additional snow did not materialize. I will forgive the forecasters this time. We still have this to contend with:

And then I torment myself by looking at this:

7-Day Forecast for Latitude 24.55N and Longitude 81.77W (Elev. 7 ft)
Attached Images
File Type: jpg today 2010-02-12 001.jpg (394.7 KB, 2 views)
Old 02-16-2010, 07:18 AM   #1280

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brat View Post
Bone chilling cold, snow, ice... Eugene, Oregon north. It can't go east fast enough.
Well it was a bone chilling 80 here yesterday in Socal. We are having some unseasonally warm weather.