Join Early Retirement Today
Closed Thread

Old 02-22-2010, 04:25 PM   #1301
Dryer sheet aficionado

Yesterday I spent 1 1/2 hours chisling Ice dams out of the gutters..fun
This morning -4 at 5 AM -9 at 7 AM
up to 19...get the clubs!!!
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-22-2010, 04:39 PM   #1302
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by MasterBlaster View Post
Well it was a bone chilling 80 here yesterday in Socal. We are having some unseasonally warm weather.

Hmmm - it was rainy/foggy when I left San Diego last saturday and I was rained on gassing in up in Needles, CA.

I was wondering whether I should warn people ahead when I go to visit?

heh heh heh - I do have a mild sunburn from days previous - Hoover Dam, Vegas and San Diego.
Old 02-22-2010, 05:11 PM   #1303
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by sayhey24 View Post
Yesterday I spent 1 1/2 hours chisling Ice dams out of the gutters..fun
Ditto. All gutters/downspouts are now free flowing.

Today's rain will wash some snow away. The town fathers are fretting over some guaranteed flooding. They have only known about the problem and the fix for 40 some years.

We are about 200' above the area prone to flooding. That is no accident. Had reviewed the 100 and 500 year flood area prior to making offer on the house. No worries.
Old 02-23-2010, 09:58 AM   #1304
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Nothing from Ziggy or REWahoo, so I guess its up to me to report that it is 34 degrees and snowing in Austin. Great big, wet, sloppy flakes.

snow.jpg

It has been a long time since I last posted. Ugly health problems knocked me flat and I am just now beginning to take an interest in the world again. Glad to see the forum is perking along as always.
Old 02-23-2010, 09:59 AM   #1305
Give me a forum ...

It's been snowing most of the morning, but it's too warm to stick.
"Hey, for every ten dollars, that's another hour that I have to be in the work place. That's an hour of my life. And my life is a very finite thing. I have only 'x' number of hours left before I'm dead. So how do I want to use these hours of my life? Do I want to use them just spending it on more crap and more stuff, or do I want to start getting a handle on it and using my life more intelligently?" -- Joe Dominguez (1938 - 1997)
Old 02-23-2010, 10:06 AM   #1306
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso) Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by IndependentlyPoor View Post
It has been a long time since I last posted. Ugly health problems knocked me flat and I am just now beginning to take an interest in the world again. Glad to see the forum is perking along as always.
Welcome back. The world needs more interested (and interesting) folks!

We have melting sleet at the moment.

Who needs the Weather Channel when you have us!
Old 02-23-2010, 10:14 AM   #1307

Forty-five F at the moment and it looks like there may be hope of extracting my motorcycle from the shed before May. And I'm looking at some of Gerbing's heated motorcycle gear to extend the riding season.

However, some killjoy at work said the Hagerstown Almanac (which accurately predicted this year's snowfall) also predicts a three-foot snowfall in March. She could have gone all day without telling me that.

Some deer in the back yard this morning:
Attached Images
File Type: jpg deer 2010-02-23 006.jpg (589.3 KB, 0 views)
Old 02-23-2010, 10:17 AM   #1308
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Nothing from Ziggy or REWahoo, so I guess its up to me to report that it is 34 degrees and snowing in Austin. Great big, wet, sloppy flakes.

Attachment 8333

Missed you. Hope you are doing ok.

No more lawyer stuff, no more political stuff, so no more CYA

Old 02-23-2010, 10:18 AM   #1309
Moderator Emeritus

IndependentlyPoor, it is great to see you and I am glad that you are feeling well enough to post now and then. (Taking care of your health is, of course, the top priority.) Welcome back! And snow in Austin? As a former College Station resident, all I can say is BRRRR!!!

Walt, it is also 45 at the moment in New Orleans! Brrr.

And yesterday, our high was 73 -- the only day in the entire month of February to get above 70. At least our extremes are not as bad as Texas is experiencing this week.

Happily retired since 2009, at age 61. Best years of my life by far!
Old 02-23-2010, 10:33 AM   #1310
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:

Great to see you back and more perky. Weather is foggy this morning near your old stomping grounds. Looks like the sun may come out yet today.
Old 02-23-2010, 11:28 AM   #1311
Give me a forum ...

Quote:

Attachment 8333

41 in Dallas...it's supposed to get sloppy here this afternoon.

Welcome back IP, I missed you. Here's a flower...I hope you're not allergic.....
Old 02-23-2010, 01:43 PM   #1312
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
...It has been a long time since I last posted. Ugly health problems knocked me flat and I am just now beginning to take an interest in the world again. Glad to see the forum is perking along as always.
Welcome back
It snowed today here at 42N latitude also if that is any sort of consolation.
Old 02-23-2010, 08:22 PM   #1313
Gone but not forgotten

Send a message via AIM to Khan
Freebird weather alert

AccuWeather.com - Weather News | Hurricane-Like Storm Aims for Pennsylvania to Maine Thursday, Friday
Old 02-24-2010, 04:39 AM   #1314
Give me a forum ...

Uh oh....
TY for the link, Khan. I am usually up to date on the weather, but I didn't realize the potential magnitude of this one.
Old 02-24-2010, 05:08 AM   #1315
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Well, here in North Dakota it is a brisk 12 below zero this morning and the high today is supposed to be a +3.
Old 02-24-2010, 05:42 AM   #1316
Full time employment: Posting here.

Moved about six inches of of wet snow yesterday. Blew a hydraulic line on the blade so had to fix that. Foggy this morning. Snow predicted for the next three days. Storm is predicted to be much worse to my east (sorry Freebird) so maybe my luck is still holding after all but my days of no snow seem to be over.
Old 02-24-2010, 05:56 AM   #1317
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by bruce1 View Post
Moved about six inches of of wet snow yesterday. Blew a hydraulic line on the blade so had to fix that. Foggy this morning. Snow predicted for the next three days. Storm is predicted to be much worse to my east (sorry Freebird) so maybe my luck is still holding after all but my days of no snow seem to be over.
That's OK...we are due for a huge snow dump.
We have the snow moving technology at the ready...
Ariens 1024 PRO Snowblower with Heated Hand Grips, Locking Differential, Halogen Headlight, Heavy Duty Skid Shoes, 10 Horsepower, Tecumseh Over Head Valve, Snow King Engine. 24" Intake. 5 speeds forward and 2 speeds in reverse.

[dub in Tim Allen "Tooltime" grunts]

Old 02-24-2010, 09:57 AM   #1318

Quote:
Originally Posted by freebird5825 View Post
Ariens 1024 PRO Snowblower with Heated Hand Grips, Locking Differential, Halogen Headlight, Heavy Duty Skid Shoes, 10 Horsepower, Tecumseh Over Head Valve, Snow King Engine. 24" Intake. 5 speeds forward and 2 speeds in reverse.

It looks new in the picture. If so, and if the forecast for NY is accurate, you are gonna be SO GLAD you spent the money on that thing!

I have the 824 (8 hp, no heated grips) and ran that puppy half to death last week. It's one of those purchases I had to think long and hard about but after the first heavy snowfall there were no regrets at all.
Old 02-24-2010, 11:17 AM   #1319
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by freebird5825 View Post

That would look really cool with a chrome down pipe and cast aluminum wheels.
Old 02-24-2010, 01:39 PM   #1320
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by travelover View Post
That would look really cool with a chrome down pipe and cast aluminum wheels.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Walt34 View Post
It looks new in the picture. If so, and if the forecast for NY is accurate, you are gonna be SO GLAD you spent the money on that thing!

I have the 824 (8 hp, no heated grips) and ran that puppy half to death last week. It's one of those purchases I had to think long and hard about but after the first heavy snowfall there were no regrets at all.
That was a picture I downloaded from the web. But mine is still in very good shape. I know it is at least 10 years old, could even be as much as 15 years old. Worth every penny.
I keep it very clean and spray lube all the metal surfaces, out of season. It is well maintained by the resident former small engine mechanic (me)
It gets a fresh spark plug and oil change every season. I wish it had an electric start , but it has an easy pull starter and turns right over.