Join Early Retirement Today
Closed Thread

Old 05-14-2010, 08:59 AM   #1421
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by REWahoo View Post
Wow, here comes another one. Anyone got some Ark blueprints I can borrow?

Do you have problems with washouts on top of that hill?

Have the fire ants formed balls of ants to float away?

No more lawyer stuff, no more political stuff, so no more CYA

Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-14-2010, 09:04 AM   #1422
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso) Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Martha View Post
Do you have problems with washouts on top of that hill?
Thankfully no, other than a small one in my driveway.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Martha View Post
Have the fire ants formed balls of ants to float away?
If they haven't I suspect they are sending out ball invitations as I type this...

Five hours of back-to-back thunderstorms and 5.75 inches in my rain gauge. Looks like we might be in for a short break but radar shows another line 10 miles away heading this way. This is crazy.
Old 05-14-2010, 09:37 AM   #1423
Moderator Emeritus

Wow, REWahoo! That's a LOT of rain. Hope you don't have to go out in it. I would imagine your local news is going to have footage of lots of folks who did, standing on the roofs of their cars in rising water.

And what a way to awaken! I have had nightmares more pleasant than that.

Sunny and muggy, here, which is typical New Orleans in May. Hurricane season is less than three weeks away, so I am starting to think about emptying out my freezer (by not buying more frozen foods, and gradually eating what I have). There is NO WAY that I am ever going to let the beautiful refrigerator/freezer that I bought after Katrina end up stinking on the curb like the last one. Frank is thinking about where (in Springfield) we would stay in case of another long term evacuation this summer.

Happily retired since 2009, at age 61. Best years of my life by far!
Old 05-14-2010, 09:45 AM   #1424

Quote:
Originally Posted by W2R View Post
Hurricane season is less than three weeks away, so I am starting to think about emptying out my freezer (by not buying more frozen foods, and gradually eating what I have). There is NO WAY that I am ever going to let the beautiful refrigerator/freezer that I bought after Katrina end up stinking on the curb like the last one. Frank is thinking about where (in Springfield) we would stay in case of another long term evacuation this summer.
Your situation reminds me of how very fortunate we are in living 150 miles inland and near the top of a hill....
Old 05-14-2010, 09:47 AM   #1425
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Four hours later we're still getting pounded by thunderstorms. They keep building on top of us, one after another, more hail and over five inches of rain so far.
Again, I don't understand. It was quite white and very lovely when it passed through here. You must have done something to offend.
Old 05-14-2010, 09:56 AM   #1426
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
This morning a nearby lightning strike caused a power surge, setting off our home alarm system and blasting us awake at 5:10 AM. Fried something in the system rendering the key pad inoperative. To finally shut it off I had to find and turn off the breaker, then get into the alarm system control box and disconnect the back-up battery. Not a recommended way to start the day.

We're currently being pounded by a series of very strong thunderstorms. Pea sized hail is clogging the rain gutters causing them to overflow.
Oh man! I saw the radar for your area and it looked real nasty. Those TX Hill Country spring storms can be very scary. Pea-sized hail is no big deal, (except for your gutters) but I've seen quarter-sized plus in your area!

A few stray showers down here, but it's warm and windy. Cloud cover keeping temps down to low 80s.

Audrey
Old 05-14-2010, 10:00 AM   #1427
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Wow, here comes another one. Anyone got some Ark blueprints I can borrow?
Believe you me, Arkansas is just as bad if not worse! We spent May there last year and had some doozies including plenty of twister warnings. And Arkansas has lots of really tall trees and branches to be blown down by the wind and fall on you!.

Hail AND branches!

Audrey
Old 05-14-2010, 10:07 AM   #1428
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Five hours of back-to-back thunderstorms and 5.75 inches in my rain gauge. Looks like we might be in for a short break but radar shows another line 10 miles away heading this way. This is crazy.
Holy cow, that puts your annual rainfall into 2011 or even 2012, right?

After the electrocution/hail threat abates, this might be a good opportunity to gather photographic evidence of Zumwalt's watershed performance plan. It'd be an awful thing for all his gravel-crushing operations to create a runoff that would poison the water table or accelerate nearby erosion, right? Gee, maybe this whole idea of his requires an EIS...

Co-author (with my daughter) of “Raising Your Money-Savvy Family For Next Generation Financial Independence.”
Author of the book written on E-R.org: "The Military Guide to Financial Independence and Retirement."

I don't spend much time here— please send a PM.
Old 05-14-2010, 10:11 AM   #1429
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Four hours later we're still getting pounded by thunderstorms. They keep building on top of us, one after another, more hail and over five inches of rain so far.
They keep drifting up here, too, but they are weakening by the time they get here. The thunder is heavy, but the rain is light and the hail nonexistent this far north.
"Hey, for every ten dollars, that's another hour that I have to be in the work place. That's an hour of my life. And my life is a very finite thing. I have only 'x' number of hours left before I'm dead. So how do I want to use these hours of my life? Do I want to use them just spending it on more crap and more stuff, or do I want to start getting a handle on it and using my life more intelligently?" -- Joe Dominguez (1938 - 1997)
Old 05-14-2010, 10:14 AM   #1430

Quote:
Originally Posted by audreyh1 View Post
Believe you me, Arkansas is just as bad if not worse! We spent May there last year and had some doozies including plenty of twister warnings. And Arkansas has lots of really tall trees and branches to be blown down by the wind and fall on you!.

Hail AND branches!

Audrey
Having grown up in east TX, I certainly agree - but I was referring to Noah's Ark, not the "Regnat Populus" state.
Old 05-14-2010, 10:35 AM   #1431

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nords View Post
After the electrocution/hail threat abates, this might be a good opportunity to gather photographic evidence of Zumwalt's watershed performance plan. It'd be an awful thing for all his gravel-crushing operations to create a runoff that would poison the water table or accelerate nearby erosion, right?
He had just begun building his water runoff containment berms when the last rainstorm occurred (see below). That one was only 4 or 5 inches -can't wait to see what the runoff looks like after this one!

Seven inches and still pouring...
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 20100417_0001.jpg (714.4 KB, 0 views)
Old 05-14-2010, 10:38 AM   #1432
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
It looks like y'all could get ten inches....
Old 05-14-2010, 10:42 AM   #1433
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Your situation reminds me of how very fortunate we are in living 150 miles inland and near the top of a hill....
Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by bbbamI View Post
It looks like y'all could get ten inches....
Sounds like a GREAT day to stay home, REWahoo. Please do! We'll do our best to provide some entertaining discussion, obvious spammers to torment, and more for your reading pleasure.

Old 05-14-2010, 10:45 AM   #1434
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Sounds like a GREAT day to stay home, REWahoo. Please do! We'll do our best to provide some entertaining discussion, obvious spammers to torment, and more for your reading pleasure.
All we need now is an infestation of insurance salesmen and we'll be set.... oh wait....
"Hey, for every ten dollars, that's another hour that I have to be in the work place. That's an hour of my life. And my life is a very finite thing. I have only 'x' number of hours left before I'm dead. So how do I want to use these hours of my life? Do I want to use them just spending it on more crap and more stuff, or do I want to start getting a handle on it and using my life more intelligently?" -- Joe Dominguez (1938 - 1997)
Old 05-14-2010, 10:49 AM   #1435
Administrator

Quote:
Having just decided to stay indoors today because of the weather here in Colorado I read these posts of the weather REWahoo is having and I feel such a whimp
Old 05-14-2010, 12:00 PM   #1436

I sincerely appreciate your efforts to keep me entertained while I wait out these storms. How about throwing in an annuity salesman for old times sake?

I got tired of having to reboot my computer after all the power interruptions and cranked up my laptop. It's still coming down and the news folks are reporting more than 10 inches have fallen five miles to my west - I've only had 7.5 so far.

Some poor guy has been stranded on top of his truck in a low water crossing for more than three hours. Rescuers have been unable to get to him by conventional methods and are waiting for a break in the storm to bring in a helicopter to get him out.
Old 05-14-2010, 12:14 PM   #1437
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
I sincerely appreciate your efforts to keep me entertained while I wait out these storms. How about throwing in an annuity salesman for old times sake?
Gosh, y'know they are so hard to find.

Quote:
Originally Posted by REWahoo
I got tired of having to reboot my computer after all the power interruptions and cranked up my laptop. It's still coming down and the news folks are reporting more than 10 inches have fallen five miles to my west - I've only had 7.5 so far.
"Only" 7.5 inches? That is amazing. Better start working on that Ark. Or, at least gathering animals two by two.

Quote:
Originally Posted by REWahoo
Some poor guy has been stranded on top of his truck in a low water crossing for more than three hours. Rescuers have been unable to get to him by conventional methods and are waiting for a break in the storm to bring in a helicopter to get him out.
Good thing you didn't go out. Sounds like that poor guy is in a real pickle.

Old 05-14-2010, 12:15 PM   #1438
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
"Only" 7.5 inches? That is amazing. Better start working on that Ark. Or, at least gathering animals two by two.
You'd better leave the mosquitoes. And the fire ants. And the scorpions and the chiggers and the rattlesnakes and...
Old 05-14-2010, 09:08 PM   #1439
Give me a forum ...

Edits from me:
Quote:
Some poor guy helicopter crew has been told they have to fly in a thunderstorm to rescue some yahoo who has been stranded on top of his truck in a low water crossing for more than three hours.
Somebody should get a lifejacket to him and call it a day. It sounds like that would be safer for everyone than attempting a pickup in that weather.
Old 05-14-2010, 09:17 PM   #1440

Quote:
Originally Posted by samclem View Post
Somebody should get a lifejacket to him and call it a day. It sounds like that would be safer for everyone than attempting a pickup in that weather.
The DPS waited another couple of hours for the weather to improve, then rescued him. I understand they flew him to a hospital where he checked out OK, then arrested him for driving past a "road closed due to high water" barrier.