Join Early Retirement Today

Old 05-15-2010, 07:49 AM   #1441
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by W2R View Post
Wow, REWahoo! That's a LOT of rain. Hope you don't have to go out in it. I would imagine your local news is going to have footage of lots of folks who did, standing on the roofs of their cars in rising water.

And what a way to awaken! I have had nightmares more pleasant than that.

Sunny and muggy, here, which is typical New Orleans in May. Hurricane season is less than three weeks away, so I am starting to think about emptying out my freezer (by not buying more frozen foods, and gradually eating what I have). There is NO WAY that I am ever going to let the beautiful refrigerator/freezer that I bought after Katrina end up stinking on the curb like the last one. Frank is thinking about where (in Springfield) we would stay in case of another long term evacuation this summer.
You ain't left yet?

And I don't care how big your truck is."
Ed_The_Gypsy is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-15-2010, 07:54 AM   #1442
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso) Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ed_The_Gypsy View Post
You ain't left yet?
No need to hurry. The next hurricane to hit the Gulf Coast won't be a big deal. That coating of oil on the water's surface will choke off the storm's energy source and render it relatively toothless.

When I hit 70, it hit back

Retired in 2005 at age 58, no pension
REWahoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2010, 07:59 AM   #1443
Give me a forum ...

Well it looks like the system has moved out of your area, and now it's the Central Texas Coast getting hammered.

The tip of the system didn't quite reach down here.

That was amazing - but I remember getting that much rain in one day in Austin.

Audrey
Old 05-15-2010, 09:08 AM   #1444

Quote:
Originally Posted by audreyh1 View Post
Well it looks like the system has moved out of your area, and now it's the Central Texas Coast getting hammered.
Actually that is a second system that developed in West TX and blew through here last night. We got an additional half inch from that system bringing my 24 hour total to just over 8 inches.

I guess maybe our drought is finally over...

Old 05-15-2010, 11:11 AM   #1445
Give me a forum ...

It's a scorching 58 degrees here, overcast, and windy. Argh.
Come on summer time...I have a convertible just raring to be driven.

NEWSFLASH: The sun just came out. Wooohoooooo
Old 05-15-2010, 11:44 AM   #1446
Administrator

We are expecting rain, but the TV weather-guessers are saying that the storm that clobbered REWahoo should "probably" go north of us and our rain will not be heavy.

(edited at 2:25 PM to add: It's raining pretty hard with lots of thunder, and dark as night. Kind of cool, so far. )

Naturally hurricane preps are no laughing matter in New Orleans, and (just in case anyone was wondering), ours are no more or less cautious than those of others here. We haven't yet moved north or even put our houses on the market yet, because the housing market here stinks and average time on the market is ridiculous. So, Ed, we are going to wait for a year or two before selling, and hopefully there will be some recovery in that time.

Meanwhile, we can think about whether we really want to move away or not. As time passes, it is easy to hide our heads in the sand and forget 2005, and New Orleans is finally beginning to look better than it did.

Quote:
Originally Posted by REWahoo View Post
No need to hurry. The next hurricane to hit the Gulf Coast won't be a big deal. That coating of oil on the water's surface will choke off the storm's energy source and render it relatively toothless.
Gee, thanks! I could only WISH....

― N. Gaiman (2002)

W2R is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2010, 01:42 PM   #1447
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
The DPS waited another couple of hours for the weather to improve, then rescued him. I understand they flew him to a hospital where he checked out OK, then arrested him for driving past a "road closed due to high water" barrier.
The heck with the arrest, wait until they hit him with the rescue invoice.

"Stupid Tax" indeed.

The book written on E-R.org, "The Military Guide to Financial Independence and Retirement", on sale now! For more info see "About Me" in my profile.
I don't spend much time here anymore, so please send me a PM. Thanks.
Nords is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2010, 01:53 PM   #1448

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nords View Post
The heck with the arrest, wait until they hit him with the rescue invoice.

"Stupid Tax" indeed.
Here is another one: Rescued Woman Arrested After Skirting High-Water Barricade

The fine for getting caught is capped at $2,000. Not sure how much the fine is for those who don't survive - like this guy back in February.

Old 05-15-2010, 02:13 PM   #1449
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Here is another one: Rescued Woman Arrested After Skirting High-Water Barricade

The fine for getting caught is capped at $2,000. Not sure how much the fine is for those who don't survive - like this guy back in February.
Colorado attracts these same people (Oh! I guess I said that in the "Cities" thread.) It is unbelievable how many people take off for a hike in the mountains in October through May dressed as if "going to the beach." Yep, the cost of several hundred searchers and equipment (yeah, we have helicopters too.) is incredible.
RonBoyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2010, 04:59 PM   #1450

Slow-motion supercell heading our way with tornadic activity indicated. Slowest-moving one I've just about ever seen. Could get rough here in 30-60 minutes.
"Hey, for every ten dollars, that's another hour that I have to be in the work place. That's an hour of my life. And my life is a very finite thing. I have only 'x' number of hours left before I'm dead. So how do I want to use these hours of my life? Do I want to use them just spending it on more crap and more stuff, or do I want to start getting a handle on it and using my life more intelligently?" -- Joe Dominguez (1938 - 1997)
ziggy29 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2010, 05:05 PM   #1451
Give me a forum ...

Hang on Ziggy! The weather radar for TX does look interesting to say the least. I have a feeling something is going to blow in my area before long.
Old 05-15-2010, 05:10 PM   #1452

Zig, on radar it appears the storm is shrinking a bit. Maybe it will lose some of its punch before it gets to your front yard.

Old 05-15-2010, 05:23 PM   #1453

Maybe. But a funnel cloud was just spotted 15 miles west of here and it's headed right for us.

There goes the weather radio with the warning....
"Hey, for every ten dollars, that's another hour that I have to be in the work place. That's an hour of my life. And my life is a very finite thing. I have only 'x' number of hours left before I'm dead. So how do I want to use these hours of my life? Do I want to use them just spending it on more crap and more stuff, or do I want to start getting a handle on it and using my life more intelligently?" -- Joe Dominguez (1938 - 1997)
Old 05-15-2010, 05:29 PM   #1454
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

The weather in Fla has been great, got to watch the shuttle launch yesterday.
Old 05-15-2010, 05:40 PM   #1455
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by 73ss454 View Post
The weather in Fla has been great, got to watch the shuttle launch yesterday.
This post doesn't belong here. It should be a submitted to this thread:

Bragging and Proud ... such a fine line
Old 05-15-2010, 05:46 PM   #1456
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

RB, you're right, but after 58 years of NY weather I've got a right.
Old 05-15-2010, 05:55 PM   #1457
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by 73ss454 View Post
RB, you're right, but after 58 years of NY weather I've got a right.
Old 05-15-2010, 06:34 PM   #1458

Wow, that fizzled out in record time. We *may* have had a trace of drizzle from it.....
Old 05-15-2010, 08:38 PM   #1459
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by ziggy29 View Post
Wow, that fizzled out in record time. We *may* have had a trace of drizzle from it.....
Whew!! I'm glad. Sounds like you dodged the bullet this time.

We had a little localized street flooding but that was about it. I don't know how many inches we got but a wild guess might be maybe 2-3".

― N. Gaiman (2002)

Old 05-16-2010, 07:47 AM   #1460
Administrator

Today I was awakened at about 8:15 AM by loud thunder, winds, and torrential rain, all of which are still continuing.

There was a small tornado that touched down 18 miles from me, and tore the roof off of a house. Television news is reporting widespread street flooding. The storms are impeding oil spill cleanup efforts. "Lake W2R" has re-appeared in my back yard, but the street in front of my house has only about 3 inches of flooding so far and my house is not in danger of flooding.

― N. Gaiman (2002)