Portal Forums Links Register FAQ Community Calendar Log in

Join Early Retirement Today
Closed Thread

Old 06-07-2010, 03:31 PM   #1501
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Hot, hot, hot.... except when it rains, because that breaks the heat. This is one reason why I love our wet climate here.

It rained yesterday and was pretty reasonable. It hasn't rained today yet, and Frank's Murano said it was 98 degrees outside.

Happily retired since 2009, at age 61. Best years of my life by far!
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-07-2010, 03:36 PM   #1502
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by W2R View Post
Hot, hot, hot.... except when it rains, because that breaks the heat.
Except that when the "hot" returns after the rain, you also get "humid"....
"Hey, for every ten dollars, that's another hour that I have to be in the work place. That's an hour of my life. And my life is a very finite thing. I have only 'x' number of hours left before I'm dead. So how do I want to use these hours of my life? Do I want to use them just spending it on more crap and more stuff, or do I want to start getting a handle on it and using my life more intelligently?" -- Joe Dominguez (1938 - 1997)
Old 06-07-2010, 03:39 PM   #1503
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso) Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by ziggy29 View Post
You mean like now, when the temp reads only 92 but the heat index says 106?
Old 06-07-2010, 03:41 PM   #1504
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Now think about that, and look at my location... It seems like the humidity here just never ends (except for a week in October).

At work in the elevators and so on, it was common for someone to say, "Sure is hot and humid out there today" or something like that. My usual response was, "That's how we know we are living in New Orleans."

Old 06-07-2010, 03:49 PM   #1505
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Telly View Post
Can we just skip summer? It was 84 degrees already this morning at only 8:15.

The heat just seems to weigh heavily on me this year... and it's NOT because I weigh heavily!

I'd like to fast-forward to about mid-October.
Just get an RV and you can easily do that... every year. (Does the word "Snowbird" ring any bells?)
Old 06-07-2010, 04:02 PM   #1506
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
it was common for someone to say, "Sure is hot and humid out there today" or something like that. My usual response was, "That's how we know we are living in New Orleans."
I completely understand; it is 92° here and the humidity is already up to 21%.
Old 06-07-2010, 04:08 PM   #1507
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by RonBoyd View Post
I completely understand; it is 92° here and the humidity is already up to 21%.
Yeah, but at least we don't have to shovel heat and humidity.
"Hey, for every ten dollars, that's another hour that I have to be in the work place. That's an hour of my life. And my life is a very finite thing. I have only 'x' number of hours left before I'm dead. So how do I want to use these hours of my life? Do I want to use them just spending it on more crap and more stuff, or do I want to start getting a handle on it and using my life more intelligently?" -- Joe Dominguez (1938 - 1997)
Old 06-07-2010, 04:12 PM   #1508
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Yeah, and I just paid six bucks for a lunch that you guys can only dream of... Well, plus tip

Old 06-07-2010, 04:13 PM   #1509
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Yeah, you're right. I could have easily done without that those four times in the past ten year. Hmmmmm. Snowbird?!?! Does have nice ring to it.
Old 06-07-2010, 04:14 PM   #1510

Quote:
Yeah, and I just paid six bucks for a lunch that you guys can only dream of... Well, plus tip
You 'Nawlins folks sure eat lunch late in the day...
Old 06-07-2010, 04:20 PM   #1511
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by REWahoo View Post
You 'Nawlins folks sure eat lunch late in the day...
Well, we ate at 2 PM but it was memorable.

Frank is turning into a real night owl. He has been going to bed after 5 AM and getting up around 1:30 PM. I have been going to bed around 3:15 AM and getting up around 10:45. What all this means, I do not know. I much prefer getting up early but I am not inclined to set my alarm to do so.

SLOTH, I tell you! It's SLOTH, SLOTH, SLOTH!!! Uh oh, and sloth is a sin. Guess I'm doomed.

Old 06-07-2010, 04:26 PM   #1512

Quote:
Well, we ate at 2 PM but it was memorable.

Frank is turning into a real night owl. He has been going to bed after 5 AM and getting up around 1:30 PM. I have been going to bed around 3:15 AM and getting up around 10:45. What all this means, I do not know.
If by "memorable" you mean you ordered your steak so rare it could be described as simply warm and bloody, and/or you or Frank start growing significant body hair, I think we can help you figure out what what it means...
Old 06-07-2010, 04:33 PM   #1513
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quote:
Originally Posted by RonBoyd View Post
Yeah, you're right. I could have easily done without that those four times in the past ten year. Hmmmmm. Snowbird?!?! Does have nice ring to it.
I'm seriously considering snowbird status myself. The weather is great here from 1 April until around Thanksgiving. Then it would be nice to go to the southwest.
Old 06-07-2010, 04:37 PM   #1514
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
If by "memorable" you mean you ordered your steak so rare it could be described as simply warm and bloody, and/or you or Frank start growing significant body hair, I think we can help you figure out what what it means...

Nah, he got red beans and rice, and I got a fantabulous spicy grilled chicken sandwich on French bread so I think we're OK.

Old 06-14-2010, 10:21 AM   #1515
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
W2R, thanks for your efforts but it looks like the national news is carrying the load at the moment. We average is less than 10 days per year of temps 100 and above at we're currently sitting at 34 days and counting...
So, all you Texans, are you ready for this again? This post was dated 7/27/09, so last year's streak of 100+ degree temperatures must have started around 6/23/09. It's mid-June already.

Yesterday's official high here was 94, though some real world measurements reached 102 at one point. Today's official prediction is a high of 94 again. Everything is air conditioned, though, so it sounds worse than it lives. Right now it is officially 88 outside, with 78% humidity. The latter is so good for the skin, but with that much humidity it is almost hard to breathe outside.

Old 06-14-2010, 10:26 AM   #1516

Quote:
So, all you Texans, are you ready for this again?
So far we've managed to stay under a balmy 95. I'm cautiously optimistic we will have a summer similar to 2007 (occasional rain, temps never got to 100) vs. last year's brutal heat (absolutely no rain, 59 days of 100 or higher).
Old 06-14-2010, 11:08 AM   #1517
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
So, all you Texans, are you ready for this again? This post was dated 7/27/09, so last year's streak of 100+ degree temperatures must have started around 6/23/09. It's mid-June already.
We haven't hit 100 yet. I think we've had 97 or 98 a handful of times, but no triple digits yet. We are still consistently reaching 5, 6, 7 degrees above the forecast high, but that just turns low 90s into high 90s.

Looks like the summer drought pattern is back, too.
Old 06-17-2010, 01:56 PM   #1518
Give me a forum ...

A Vette...errr...a woman... is not the only thing that's hotter than a $2 pistol.

Old 06-17-2010, 02:09 PM   #1519
Gone but not forgotten

Send a message via AIM to Khan
Might hit 90F tomorrow and Saturday. Will run errands early.
Old 06-17-2010, 02:15 PM   #1520
Full time employment: Posting here.

We've had over 12 " of rain - coming down VERY heavily - in the past 10 days. 6" one day... or more. I don't care how humid it gets if only I can see the sun for a few days!