Join Early Retirement Today
Closed Thread

Old 11-30-2010, 12:11 AM   #1701
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Here's a youtube one of my co-workers sent me, a few shots from the recent snowstorm. I think some friends of his shot this out their front window. This hill is steeper than it looks in the photo (mentally rotate the screen until the utility pole in the foreground is vertical), and appears to have frozen into a solid sheet of ice.

All the guests, including the one who came by dial-a-ride, were able to make it to Thanksgiving dinner. One of the other guests had a 4-wheel-drive vehicle and came over to my parents' home to pick us up, and it was a good thing too, as there was still quite a bit of ice on the roads Thursday afternoon.

Hard to believe it was only a week ago. You wouldn't know there was any such thing as snow to look at the streets now.
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-30-2010, 12:25 AM   #1702
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

That is E John St between 13th and 14th Aves E. Funny, but by our standards that is not much of a hill. If I am tired coming home I always walk up John, rather than other steeper hills.

Also funny that the #43 bus that slid into the pole was one of the few running around here, as its route is overall flatter than some others like the 10, 8, and 2. I got along fine as I walk, and I have city crampons and really good Merrill boots. It totally sucks to drive in Seattle when it gets snowy.

Ha
Old 11-30-2010, 08:14 AM   #1703
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by kyounge1956 View Post
Here's a youtube one of my co-workers sent me, a few shots from the recent snowstorm. I think some friends of his shot this out their front window. This hill is steeper than it looks in the photo (mentally rotate the screen until the utility pole in the foreground is vertical), and appears to have frozen into a solid sheet of ice.
Wow!! What a video. Unbelievable!! I am glad you had a four wheel drive to get you through that ice to your Thanksgiving dinner.

The weather here is interesting today. I awakened at 7 AM to the sounds or torrential rainfall (and immediately resumed sleeping peacefully). Now, at 9 AM the rain has slowed to a normal level and BIG winds are gusting and whistling through the area. The front is supposed to lower the temperature quite a bit from yesterday's high of 80F, to predicted highs of 68F (today) and 56F (tomorrow).

I am staying home today, waiting for the UPS man since I will probably have to sign for my new laptop (besides, I am dying to see it). I hope the rain and wind and cold do not deter him. Tracking says it is "out for delivery".

Happily retired since 2009, at age 61. Best years of my life by far!
Old 11-30-2010, 08:21 AM   #1704
Moderator Emeritus

I got stuck in Redwood Falls, Minnesota in a snow storm last night. Ten inches of snow and even worse, it is very windy with drifting snow. I just dug out my car from the hotel parking lot and am vacillating as to whether to try to leave. Road conditions are described as "difficult."

No more lawyer stuff, no more political stuff, so no more CYA

Old 11-30-2010, 08:23 AM   #1705
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso) Give me a forum ...

Stay put Martha. I tried sliding my car into a snow-filled ditch once - it was no fun.
Old 11-30-2010, 08:36 AM   #1706
Gone but not forgotten

Quote:
Originally Posted by REWahoo View Post
Stay put Martha. I tried sliding my car into a snow-filled ditch once - it was no fun.

Definetely stay put ! There is nothing worse than being stranded on a highway somewhere. Stay inside & keep warm !
Old 11-30-2010, 08:57 AM   #1707
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by kyounge1956 View Post
One of the other guests had a 4-wheel-drive vehicle and came over to my parents' home to pick us up, and it was a good thing too, as there was still quite a bit of ice on the roads Thursday afternoon.
Thus further spreading the myth that 4-wheel drive helps in most driving conditions. In fact, 4-wheel drive helps only during acceleration -- it is useless for braking or cornering. It has been my experience that 4-wheel drive is actually more dangerous than conventional drive vehicles (with front-wheel drive being the best) except when getting you out of the ditch after relying on 4-wheel drive to be "saved."

See for example (and there are many others):

The Myth About Four-Wheel Drive - from Consumer Reports: Consumer Reports http://pressroom.consumerreports.org/pressroom/
Old 11-30-2010, 09:09 AM   #1708
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Moemg View Post
Definetely stay put ! There is nothing worse than being stranded on a highway somewhere. Stay inside & keep warm !
Against your fine advice I am leaving. Slowly and carefully.

Old 11-30-2010, 09:13 AM   #1709

Wonder how long it will be before we hear from her again...
Old 11-30-2010, 09:16 AM   #1710

Quote:
Originally Posted by RonBoyd View Post
Thus further spreading the myth that 4-wheel drive helps in most driving conditions. In fact, 4-wheel drive helps only during acceleration -- it is useless for braking or cornering. It has been my experience that 4-wheel drive is actually more dangerous than conventional drive vehicles (with front-wheel drive being the best) except when getting you out of the ditch after relying on 4-wheel drive to be "saved."

See for example (and there are many others):

The Myth About Four-Wheel Drive - from Consumer Reports: Consumer Reports http://pressroom.consumerreports.org/pressroom/
It's amazing how people think that 4WD or AWD makes their vehicle handle better in snow and ice. They have the same 4 small contact patches of rubber with the road as everyone else. The only advantage they may have is if they are using all weather/terrain tires - and as you pointed out when accelerating - but it is not enough to overcome their foolish confidence when driving too fast for conditions...

At one point during the storm King county had 200 crashed/stranded buses .

I had to listen to the usual "the city can't do anything right in the snow" crap. I cannot think of a worse city than Seattle (Victoria, ca might be a close second) for having to deal with snow/ice. It has many steep hills, bridges and overpasses (which freeze early and quickly) and many rate limiting bottlenecks N:S and E:W. Stay at home folks unless you are essential services.

I left the MC at home and like Ha I donned the microspikes to clamber up and down the hills to and from work.

Mother Nature 1; Seattle 0

DD
Old 11-30-2010, 09:20 AM   #1711

Quote:
Originally Posted by Martha View Post
Against your fine advice I am leaving. Slowly and carefully.
Just hope that everyone else is doing so!

DD
Old 11-30-2010, 09:36 AM   #1712

Quote:
Originally Posted by W2R View Post
Wow!! What a video. Unbelievable!! I am glad you had a four wheel drive to get you through that ice to your Thanksgiving dinner.

The weather here is interesting today. I awakened at 7 AM to the sounds or torrential rainfall (and immediately resumed sleeping peacefully). Now, at 9 AM the rain has slowed to a normal level and BIG winds are gusting and whistling through the area. The front is supposed to lower the temperature quite a bit from yesterday's high of 80F, to predicted highs of 68F (today) and 56F (tomorrow).

I am staying home today, waiting for the UPS man since I will probably have to sign for my new laptop (besides, I am dying to see it). I hope the rain and wind and cold do not deter him. Tracking says it is "out for delivery".
The weather had warmed up and turned to rain earlier in the day, so it was nowhere near that icy on my parents' street by time to leave for dinner on Thanksgiving. However, it is a steepish hill, and getting the car out of the garage involves a driveway you have to navigate backwards and uphill. There were still some icy patches in the driveway and the street, and they have no chains for their car. I think with chains it would not have been any problem.

I hope "neither rain, nor wind, nor gloom of night" delay the delivery of your laptop. Wait a minute, that's the post office, not UPS.
Old 11-30-2010, 10:47 AM   #1713
Moderator Emeritus

Brrr!!! It's 52 outside. Luckily my house is well insulated and it is 71 inside. The thermostat is set at 60, so my heater hasn't come on yet.

Happily retired since 2009, at age 61. Best years of my life by far!
Old 11-30-2010, 11:13 AM   #1714

I was going to school in the SF bay area in the early 70's. I think it was 1973 when SF had a couple inches of snow, that was fun to watch.
Old 11-30-2010, 11:23 AM   #1715
Gone but not forgotten

Send a message via AIM to Khan
Dark & rainy & soon (tomorrow) to get cold & maybe snow.
Old 11-30-2010, 12:27 PM   #1716
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Wonder how long it will be before we hear from her again...

Sooner than you think. Dang blowing snow over the plains. I managed 46 miles in 2 hours. White out conditions made it nearly impossible in places. Now holed up in the next small town in a small town motel. But it has the intertubes!

I am now at the point of washing my underwear in the sink.

Old 11-30-2010, 12:30 PM   #1717

Quote:
Sooner than you think.
I'm both relieved and disappointed (for you)...
Quote:
I am now at the point of washing my underwear in the sink.
...and a little grossed out.
Old 11-30-2010, 12:31 PM   #1718
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by W2R View Post
Brrr!!! It's 52 outside. Luckily my house is well insulated and it is 71 inside. The thermostat is set at 60, so my heater hasn't come on yet.
54 here. The wind is howling, a front is pushing through with cold, dry air behind it and we're supposed to be down around 25 overnight.
"Hey, for every ten dollars, that's another hour that I have to be in the work place. That's an hour of my life. And my life is a very finite thing. I have only 'x' number of hours left before I'm dead. So how do I want to use these hours of my life? Do I want to use them just spending it on more crap and more stuff, or do I want to start getting a handle on it and using my life more intelligently?" -- Joe Dominguez (1938 - 1997)
Old 11-30-2010, 12:32 PM   #1719
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
I'm both relieved and disappointed (for you)...
...and a little grossed out.
She said the sink, not the dishpan Wahoo. Get hold of yourself

Ha
Old 11-30-2010, 01:45 PM   #1720

13 degrees and 35 mile an hour winds here, visibility is about 1/4 mile in drifting snow