Join Early Retirement Today
Closed Thread

Old 01-31-2011, 05:24 PM   #1901
Full time employment: Posting here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by freebird5825 View Post
Ruh roh....the bolded text is never good news at this latitude.

from the NWS report for Binghamton NY...
WINTER STORM WARNING
* LOCATIONS: NORTH CENTRAL NEW YORK...THE UPPER FINGER
LAKES...WESTERN MOHAWK VALLEY AND SOUTHERN TUG HILL PLATEAU.
* HAZARDS: HEAVY SNOW.
* ACCUMULATIONS: 1 TO 3 INCHES OF SNOW LATE TONIGHT INTO TUESDAY. 10 TO 15 INCHES OF SNOW TUESDAY NIGHT AND WEDNESDAY.
* TIMING: LIGHT SNOW WILL MOVE INTO THE REGION LATE TONIGHT...AND TAPER OFF TUESDAY AFTERNOON. ANOTHER ROUND OF MUCH HEAVIER SNOW WILL DEVELOP LATE TUESDAY NIGHT AND CONTINUE INTO WEDNESDAY...BEFORE TAPERING OFF LATE IN THE DAY. THE HEAVIEST SNOW IS EXPECTED WEDNESDAY MORNING.

This is ours at about 43N 80W. Wine check. Home made Chicken soup Check. Pet food Check. Gas and Diesel Fuel Check. Hibernating till Thursday

Winter storm watch for
Dunnville - Caledonia - Haldimand continued

..Major winter snowstorm Tuesday night and Wednesday..
A major winter storm is developing over Texas and will track towards Southern Ontario Tuesday. The low is expected to track just south of the lower lakes Wednesday.

Light snow will begin in advance of this system tonight and Tuesday. However the heavier snow is forecast to begin Tuesday night and continue Wednesday morning. Potential widespread snowfall amounts of 20 to 30 cm are likely before the snow tapers off Wednesday afternoon.

In addition strong and gusty east winds will develop with the snow. This will cause local whiteout conditions in blowing snow. The east winds will also generate local snow squalls off Lake Ontario in advance of the main snow area which will give enhanced snow amounts to regions near the west end of Lake Ontario.

There is even a risk of the snow changing to freezing rain Tuesday overnight for regions near Lake Erie.

The heavy snowfall and blowing snow will cause whiteout conditions making for extremely hazardous driving conditions.

Environment Canada continues to monitor this dangerous winter storm and will issue further watches and warnings as necessary.
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-31-2011, 06:18 PM   #1902
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Yeah, well... a couple of days ago it was right at 70ºF here. It is 3ºF right now and not expected to be above 0ºF tomorrow.
Old 01-31-2011, 06:21 PM   #1903
Give me a forum ...

The high here on Saturday was 74.....

Highs in the 20's and lows in the teens the next few days. Snow and sleet warning for tomorrow and wind gusts up to 50 mph...the wind chill could be -10 Wednesday night.
Old 02-01-2011, 05:45 AM   #1904
Give me a forum ...

I am watching the Weather Channel right now. OK, MO and TX are getting clobbered with snow, ice, and thunder.
Hang in there folks!
Old 02-01-2011, 05:56 AM   #1905

Those are some big temperature swings bbbam1 and RonBoyd. From memory last month the high temp was about 40F and the low was -4F.

Light fine snow here. Watch upgraded to warning. The cr@p should hit me a bit before you freebird.
Old 02-01-2011, 06:02 AM   #1906
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by bruce1 View Post
Those are some big temperature swings bbbam1 and RonBoyd. From memory last month the high temp was about 40F and the low was -4F.

Light fine snow here. Watch upgraded to warning. The cr@p should hit me a bit before you freebird.
Same type of snow here.
I think we Northies will just get snow versus ice. I hope...
What a mess!
Old 02-01-2011, 06:09 AM   #1907
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

NYS weatheradar way too colorful this morning. We got everything from rain to ice then snow and lots of it. A foot of snow on the roof already another on the way and an ice capper
Old 02-01-2011, 06:28 AM   #1908

Quote:
Same type of snow here.
I think we Northies will just get snow versus ice. I hope...
What a mess!
The official forecast for areas near the north shore of Lake Erie is snow then maybe freezing rain in the early morning hours and some ice pellets after the freezing rain then back to snow. I have no clue but it is way too cold now so any water that falls will be frozen. I am about 4 miles from the north shore. You should be safe from the freezing rain.

Wind has dropped I am going to feed the chickens before it comes back.
Old 02-01-2011, 06:41 AM   #1909
Give me a forum ...

A negative 12ºF here right now. I'm thinking that's the coldest its been in, at least, 20 years but don't really care to know for sure.

I could be worse, I suppose, there is only a 2mph wind so it only feels like -12ºF, however. Brrrrrrrrrrrr.
Old 02-01-2011, 06:41 AM   #1910
Moderator Emeritus

Weather channel folks are saying Chicago is forecast for 24"--most snow ever--by the time this ends Wednesday night.

It must be awfully hard to measure snowfall when it blows so much as it's expected to.
Old 02-01-2011, 07:20 AM   #1911
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by bruce1 View Post
The official forecast for areas near the north shore of Lake Erie is snow then maybe freezing rain in the early morning hours and some ice pellets after the freezing rain then back to snow. I have no clue but it is way too cold now so any water that falls will be frozen. I am about 4 miles from the north shore. You should be safe from the freezing rain.

Wind has dropped I am going to feed the chickens before it comes back.
HIP HIP HOORAY
Old 02-01-2011, 07:55 AM   #1912
Give me a forum ...

Jenny went to work today in Kansas City, but she may go home early.

It makes me nostalgic for snow days on Long Island, NY -- listening to the radio and waiting for those magic words "District 3 is closed."
Old 02-01-2011, 08:10 AM   #1913
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Martha View Post
I am over in Port Aransas. I hear your state park is open so I might eventually head down there, though it is mighty nice where I am.
Oh yeah! Everything is open at Bentsen SP except the Hawk Tower and Rio Grande Trail.

The Black-vented Oriole is still hanging around the neighborhood.

We are about to get deep freezed for 4 days! I hope it doesn't chase the Oriole away but all the other usual suspects will still be here.

Audrey
Old 02-01-2011, 08:35 AM   #1914

Quote:
HIP HIP HOORAY
LOL that is one cool chicken. Filled the bird feeders too. Did 20 minutes of tractor plowing. Getting warmer fast. -7C now up from -12C at 6.
Old 02-01-2011, 11:44 AM   #1915
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Cold, windy, nasty, rainy weather in east Texas this morning. It was 64 when I came in to work this a.m. and now, at !2:43 p.m., it's 30 & dropping. Guess I need to move further south. I really liked Panama when I was there a few years ago...

But, a friend in southern Wisconsin said they were expecting around 17 or more inches of snow today & tonight, so I guess it could be worse. At least in Texas, I know it will all be over in a day or two. Not so in some other places...

“Hard work never killed anybody, but why take a chance?” - Edgar Bergen
Old 02-01-2011, 11:45 AM   #1916
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by martyb View Post
At least in Texas, I know it will all be over in a day or two. Not so in some other places...
We're not expected to get above freezing until Friday afternoon. Lows for the next three days are in the low to mid teens, with below wind chill possible.
"Hey, for every ten dollars, that's another hour that I have to be in the work place. That's an hour of my life. And my life is a very finite thing. I have only 'x' number of hours left before I'm dead. So how do I want to use these hours of my life? Do I want to use them just spending it on more crap and more stuff, or do I want to start getting a handle on it and using my life more intelligently?" -- Joe Dominguez (1938 - 1997)
Old 02-01-2011, 01:04 PM   #1917
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bestwifeever View Post
Weather channel folks are saying Chicago is forecast for 24"--most snow ever--by the time this ends Wednesday night.

It must be awfully hard to measure snowfall when it blows so much as it's expected to.
Yes - it's now coming down big time in the south suburbs of Chicago. Also 20 mph winds.

I saw a news interview at a grocery store - the interviewer asked the shopper what he was stocking up on. He answered "bacon" - he likes to eat bacon before he shovels snow.
Old 02-01-2011, 01:07 PM   #1918
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso) Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ronstar View Post
I saw a news interview at a grocery store - the interviewer asked the shopper what he was stocking up on. He answered "bacon" - he likes to eat bacon before he shovels snow.
He probably posts here...
Old 02-01-2011, 03:29 PM   #1919
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by ziggy29 View Post
We're not expected to get above freezing until Friday afternoon. Lows for the next three days are in the low to mid teens, with below wind chill possible.
Yeah - even down here in the Valley we are in for 4 nights in a row of hard freezes (almost unheard of) with Thursday possibly not even getting above 32 degrees! That polar jet stream must have swung way south for a cold front that powerful to get all the down here.

Oh - by the way - this would be our first hard freeze of this winter, and it's not supposed to freeze here after January!

Audrey
Old 02-01-2011, 03:36 PM   #1920
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by REWahoo View Post
He probably posts here...
I agree. The newscast made me hungry. When it started getting nasty out, I went to the store for bacon. They were almost out of bread, and of course - almost out of bacon.
Closed Thread