Join Early Retirement Today
Closed Thread

Old 02-01-2011, 03:39 PM   #1921
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

We just got upgraded to a Blizzard Warning. It says driving will be dangerous if not impossible. Do not travel. So I called into work for tonight. I'm on the northern end of the storm and will get nothing compared to 200 miles south in Chicago but the blowing and drfiting will still be really bad. Too bad I don't leave for Florida until monday.
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-01-2011, 03:58 PM   #1922
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

It's -3F here in Colorado Springs this afternoon, with a nasty wind and windchill of -29F. Tonight they're talking -22F. Just a trace of snow. Hell of a note after playing golf in shorts on Saturday. But highs in the 40's are forecast starting Thursday.

Coach
Old 02-01-2011, 04:19 PM   #1923
Recycles dryer sheets

Be glad you aren't a dog and have to go outside to do your business. My dogs run out and right back in -- straight to the fireplace.
Old 02-01-2011, 04:26 PM   #1924
Gone but not forgotten

Send a message via AIM to Khan
SW Ohio has a large amount of ice and more is expected.
Old 02-01-2011, 06:49 PM   #1925
Moderator Emeritus

Stay safe, everyone!

I think we are just far enough south to escape the bad weather. It rained hard earlier, and temperatures are supposed to go from today's high of 70 down to almost freezing. But it won't freeze here this week, and rain doesn't need to be shoveled, so I think we're pretty lucky. Hope all of you in the path of the storm stay warm and take care.

Happily retired since 2009, at age 61. Best years of my life by far!
Old 02-01-2011, 06:52 PM   #1926
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by W2R View Post
Stay safe, everyone!

I think we are just far enough south to escape the bad weather. It rained hard earlier, and temperatures are supposed to go from today's high of 70 down to almost freezing. But it won't freeze here this week, and rain doesn't need to be shoveled, so I think we're pretty lucky. Hope all of you in the path of the storm stay warm and take care.
Aren't you glad you're not in Springfield yet
Old 02-01-2011, 06:54 PM   #1927
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
...and rain doesn't need to be shoveled...
But it sometimes has to be dammed.

"Those Who Can Make You Believe Absurdities Can Make You Commit Atrocities" - Voltaire (1694-1778)
Old 02-01-2011, 06:56 PM   #1928
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by aaronc879 View Post
Aren't you glad you're not in Springfield yet
So true - - I've been giving that some serious thought lately! More on that topic in a few days.

Quote:
Originally Posted by NW-Bound View Post
But it sometimes has to be dammed.
The rain here just ran off into the canals, and didn't get dammed (or even d***ned) since we were having fun driving around in it. We even found a parking place adjacent to the door at our favorite restaurant. I wore my pretty rain jacket but it didn't even get wet.

Old 02-01-2011, 07:11 PM   #1929
Give me a forum ...

The good times have arrived here in the Chicago suburbs. Our town has already declared disaster status (whatever that means). Schools and businesses have already announced closure for tomorrow.

This afternoon it was calm and we had a fresh dusting of powder. At 7:00 PM I opened the back door to toss a bag of kitchen garbage into the trash can I had cleverly placed nearby for the winter and was greeted with heavy snow, drifts and strong wind. Our house is quite tight and you can be unaware of conditions outside if you don't go look. I had no idea things had changed so quickly.........

Went to the grocery yesterday and stocked up with fresh fruit and veggies, nice snacks and treats and plenty of beer, wine and booze. No sense suffering if you're going to be stuck inside for a couple of days.

The wood stove is going, DW is sipping a glass of port and the house is slowly vanishing under a snow drift.
Old 02-01-2011, 07:16 PM   #1930
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by youbet View Post
The good times have arrived here in the Chicago suburbs. Our town has already declared disaster status (whatever that means). Schools and businesses have already announced closure for tomorrow.
Do you have a link for a outdoor camera in the Chicago area? I'd like to see how bad it is.
Old 02-01-2011, 07:22 PM   #1931
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Do you have a link for a outdoor camera in the Chicago area? I'd like to see how bad it is.
No I don't. Since I just look out the window I hadn't thought of checking for one of those live camera sites.......

I never made it down the driveway to the mail box today but I think the mailman did get here before the storm hit. Maybe I'll tie a rope around my waist and ask DW to hold the other end. Wait...... DW has already hit the wine pretty hard. How do I know she won't shut and lock the door instead of pulling me back in...... ?

Screw the mail.
Old 02-01-2011, 07:25 PM   #1932
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso) Give me a forum ...

This one is "down south" rather than in Chicago, but it looks a little chilly just the same...

Ruidoso Web Cam
Old 02-01-2011, 07:26 PM   #1933
Moderator Emeritus

Wunderground has webcams of Chicago and other parts of the US. You have to zoom in on this map and pick one.

WunderCam Directory : Weather Underground

Old 02-01-2011, 07:37 PM   #1934
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Wunderground has webcams of Chicago and other parts of the US. You have to zoom in on this map and pick one.

WunderCam Directory : Weather Underground
Thanks, i'll add that to my "favorites"
Old 02-01-2011, 07:38 PM   #1935
gone traveling

and now in other news,

DTS--Live Images, City and County of Honolulu, Hawaii

yes, they're waving at you! It's a two way cam, wave back.
Old 02-01-2011, 07:39 PM   #1936
Gone but not forgotten

Quote:
Too bad I don't leave for Florida until monday.

Well here is some good news . Weather has been nice in Florida the last few days . High 70's ! In fact last night we were at a restaurant on the water at 5 Pm to 7:30 Pm and sat outside . Bring a light jacket or sweat shirt and enjoy the break .
Old 02-01-2011, 07:48 PM   #1937
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moemg View Post
Well here is some good news . Weather has been nice in Florida the last few days . High 70's ! In fact last night we were at a restaurant on the water at 5 Pm to 7:30 Pm and sat outside . Bring a light jacket or sweat shirt and enjoy the break .
Thanks for that update Moemg! What a relief! We've been so worried about you folks thinking maybe you were having to wear more than a light jacket or sweat shirt........
Old 02-01-2011, 07:54 PM   #1938
Full time employment: Posting here.

First flakes of part two have arrived. Could not find a hibernation smiley.
Old 02-01-2011, 07:55 PM   #1939
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moemg View Post
I have a hooded sweatshirt with me every day of the year. Although i'm going to be mostly near Orlando, I plan to spend several days in your general area. Maybe we can meet-up.
Old 02-01-2011, 08:12 PM   #1940
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Stay safe, everyone!

Actually - it's that you are far east enough. The jet stream is doing this, and it's not dipping down in the eastern US as far as it is in the central.