Join Early Retirement Today
Closed Thread

Old 02-01-2011, 08:13 PM   #1941
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-01-2011, 08:17 PM   #1942
Give me a forum ...

Oh, it's OK! Whether it is the incontinence of management, the cook, or the wait staff, I will dine elsewhere. Thank you for letting me know.

"Those Who Can Make You Believe Absurdities Can Make You Commit Atrocities" - Voltaire (1694-1778)
Old 02-01-2011, 08:20 PM   #1943
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by audreyh1 View Post
Actually - it's that you are far east enough. The jet stream is doing this, and it's not dipping down in the eastern US as far as it is in the central.
Obviously the effect is somewhat diagona at presentl, and at 90W longitude we are far enough south.... And from what you said, at your longitude you are not. On the other hand, I don't think the fact that if I was east of aaron, for example, that I would be this fortunate. (I didn't think my post was that complicated to understand, sorry).

Happily retired since 2009, at age 61. Best years of my life by far!
Old 02-01-2011, 08:35 PM   #1944
Gone but not forgotten

Quote:
Originally Posted by youbet View Post
Thanks for that update Moemg! What a relief! We've been so worried about you folks thinking maybe you were having to wear more than a light jacket or sweat shirt........

Thanks ! I even had to wear socks this winter and occasionally a long sleeved shirt but I am handling it well .
Old 02-01-2011, 08:42 PM   #1945
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by W2R View Post
Obviously the effect is somewhat diagona at presentl, and at 90W longitude we are far enough south.... And from what you said, at your longitude you are not. On the other hand, I don't think the fact that if I was east of aaron, for example, that I would be this fortunate. (I didn't think my post was that complicated to understand, sorry).
Ask freebird wednesday morning if being east of me is good
Old 02-01-2011, 08:47 PM   #1946
Moderator Emeritus

Aaron, we're doing our best in Chicago to use up all the snow in this storm before it gets to you, but I don't think it's going to work--there's a boatload still coming your way! Weird because the storm is coming from the south-southwest but the winds are coming straight off Lake Michigan to the east.
Old 02-01-2011, 09:41 PM   #1947
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quote:
Originally Posted by aaronc879 View Post
Do you have a link for a outdoor camera in the Chicago area? I'd like to see how bad it is.
I found this one showing Wrigley Field.

Wrigley Field Cam, Chicago Cubs News & Tickets - Across From Wrigley Field at Clark & Addison Streets | CubWorld.com

They're estimating 9" already at Midway Airport. Craziest thing is the Thunder Snow that's happening all over the area right now.
Old 02-01-2011, 10:14 PM   #1948

Texans On Ice... North Texas Chapter... believe me, that is one show you DON'T want to experience!

Monday night about midnight it was 50 degrees, looked out the window and saw two Armadillos playing and hunting for food. By 4 AM it was sleeting, by 6 AM schools were called off, some megacorps closed for the day, most governmental offices not to open. By 9 AM it was down to 18 degrees.

We got about an inch of ice, but it mostly fell as rain then froze, or fell as sleet. At least it wasn't freezing rain, that pulls down trees onto powerlines. So no power problems, at least. Sounds like mostly everything to be closed Wednesday, too. What little melted this afternoon refroze super-slick. Temp is now 11 degrees, will be single-digits for the next few nights, first single-digit temps in at least 15 years. Not supposed to get up to 32 till Friday, possibly some more snow then.

Hard to believe it was in the 60's Saturday, and the 70's Sunday morning.
Old 02-01-2011, 10:50 PM   #1949
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dimsumkid View Post
I found this one showing Wrigley Field.

Wrigley Field Cam, Chicago Cubs News & Tickets - Across From Wrigley Field at Clark & Addison Streets | CubWorld.com

They're estimating 9" already at Midway Airport. Craziest thing is the Thunder Snow that's happening all over the area right now.
Looks like Wrigley Field isn't handling the storm very well

Blizzard takes off part of Wrigley Field’s roof | HardballTalk
Old 02-02-2011, 01:06 AM   #1950
Give me a forum ...

It's about 2:00 AM local time. I just crawled out of the sack and took a peek out the bedroom window. There is now snow covering the picnic table on the patio. This is a drift, it's not that deep everywhere in the yard. But the wind and steady snow fall is really making some humongous piles.

I'm glad we have no where to go tomorrow. And more so that DS and DIL, and the 3 grandkids, will be staying home as well. Just clearing the driveway down to the street is going to be a big project.
Old 02-02-2011, 01:18 AM   #1951
Give me a forum ...

I just made the rounds AT WORK. There are 10 of us here for the duration. About a foot of snow where I am, but blowing/drifting like mad, and more to come. We may be the only ones here tomorrow too, with no one coming in and none of us able to get out.

At least we have not lost power, that would make things far, far worse.

But it's my last winter 'on the job.' Time to get some shut eye...

Target AA: 50% equity funds / 45% bonds / 5% cash
Target WR: Approx 1.5% Approx 20% SI (secure income, SS only)
Old 02-02-2011, 01:18 AM   #1952

When I got up this morning it was absolutely balmy, -30C. Enjoy.
Old 02-02-2011, 04:46 AM   #1953
Full time employment: Posting here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by aaronc879 View Post
Ask freebird wednesday morning if being east of me is good
I am at 43N 80W south of Hamilton and 4 miles north of lake Erie, this puts me the length of lake Ontario west of freebird and it is not good gere but not as bad as forecast. Snow is only slightly above my bottom step (about 8 inches) unless you count the snowbanks and between the house and barn there is nothing waist deep as I expected. At midnight visibility was about a quarter mile. Ice pellets hitting the window woke me at 2 and 3 AM and freezing rain at 4:30. Little freezing rain on the trees. Quiet right now except for the wind. Looking at the radar track freebird got it worse than I and I may get lucky and have it end before the forecast time. More is forecast till afternoon. Stay safe.
Old 02-02-2011, 04:57 AM   #1954

I will chime in once again with my sick of winter refrain. I took a vacation day yesterday as bad ice was expected. I think we got some ice early but the day warmed up to about 36 degrees so it all melted. I went shopping, got my hair cut. Today the prediction is for a mixture of sleet and snow with only Friday looking "good", a relative term (expected to be sunny but only in the 20's).
Old 02-02-2011, 05:52 AM   #1955
Give me a forum ...

In SE Michigan, feeling like we got cheated. Only about 5 to 6" of snow, though we may get a little more later. Best of all power is still on.
Old 02-02-2011, 06:11 AM   #1956
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso) Give me a forum ...

7am central time: The local power company is asking everyone to conserve electricity due to record demand. The city of San Antonio (next door to us and a different power company) is doing rolling blackouts because the system cannot keep up.

Temps are in the upper teens. (You folks up north - stop laughing...)
Old 02-02-2011, 06:28 AM   #1957
Give me a forum ...

Perhaps there is hope for us....

Punxsutawney Phil predicts an early spring - wtop.com
Old 02-02-2011, 07:03 AM   #1958
Recycles dryer sheets

Just a normal storm for Michigan

I just finished snow blowing/shoveling the drive and walks this am. I estimate 9 inches fell overnight here north of Detroit. The DW is a pharmacist, and had to go five miles to work this morning. I grew up in in Cleveland where plenty of snow was the norm.
Old 02-02-2011, 07:36 AM   #1959

I have about 4 hummingbirds around the homestead. I am rotating frozen feeders from inside the house.
Old 02-02-2011, 07:55 AM   #1960
Give me a forum ...

It is 39F in the Laurel Highlands, PA. Turned off heat, opened all windows and doors for about 15 minutes, aired out the house. The bright orb in the sky was visible for about 10 minutes. No wind.

I'm sure it will change soon.