This weather is awful!! 2008-2021

Status
Not open for further replies.
Last Wednesday we got about 9" of wet heavy snow. Took DH 6 hours to drive the 16 miles from work to home. Two large trees down - not on the house, but gonna be a PITA to deal with. And this gift from the snow plow operator. The white plastic thing you see in the second photo is our Washington Post newspaper holder that is mounted below the mailbox. Maybe the snow plow dude doesn't care for the Post;)

Attachments

• mailbox.JPG
    mailbox.JPG
    1 MB · Views: 4
  • Mailbox 2.JPG
    Mailbox 2.JPG
    930.4 KB · Views: 4
Cold and humid here. 62 right now but going to 72 (and sunny). Humidity up to 29%.

It was warmer than typical with highs near 70F and brilliant blue skies in northern CA for most of the work week. Today is back to normal with a high of 61 and partially cloudy skies.

It's 79F right now in my kitchen, but the 24 hour low was 72F. It's mid afternoon of a beautiful sunny day here in Hawaii.

It's 79F right now in my kitchen, but the 24 hour low was 72F. It's mid afternoon of a beautiful sunny day here in Hawaii.

Possible nasty wintery weather here in the DC area next week. I think I'd like to move to Hawaii, Florida, or Southern Cali right about now. Really. Geez. I'm getting too old for this sh!t. This sucks:nonono:

Unbelievably nice today, sunny and 74. Went to the club to hit some practice balls and the course was packed. Made the mistake of hitting a demo iron my pro has been after me to try and it sure hit sweet. Ended up ordering a set from him. Damn nice weather cost me money!;) Later, I took the mutt for a walk at the reservoir. I saw people fishing, boating, jogging and lot's of picnic's. But with warm weather comes rain the next couple of days.:(

Sigh. Low 18 F tonight, after that rain/snow, then snow, then rain/snow, and after that more rain/snow.

Now I remember why my original Retirement Plan was to put the snow thrower in the back of the pickup truck and drive south until people started asking what it was.

Sigh. Low 18 F tonight, after that rain/snow, then snow, then rain/snow, and after that more rain/snow.

Now I remember why my original Retirement Plan was to put the snow thrower in the back of the pickup truck and drive south until people started asking what it was.
At one time that was sort of my plan also. Just go south until someone thought the block heater cord hanging out of the grill of my car meant the car was electric. It's -20 now.

Forecast high for today was mid 20s, now 36F.

Aint seen the sunshine since I don't know when...

But its all right now learn't my lesson well.

Passed time this morning by playing game tug of war with Charley the cat.

Supposedly big snow mess coming around midweek. DW is off to stock up on coffee, vino. Heh heh, all the essentials. Soon checking out the generator for potential power outage.

Edit add: DW back, no vino. We both forgot it was Sunday. tomorrow better luck at the state owned booze store.

Last edited:
This Afternoon: Partly sunny and cold, with a high near -10. Wind chill values as low as -31. North wind around 10 mph.

Tonight: Mostly cloudy, with a low around -16. Wind chill values as low as -31. North northeast wind between 5 and 10 mph.

Monday: Partly sunny, with a high near -3. Wind chill values as low as -30. North northwest wind between 5 and 9 mph.

Monday Night: Partly cloudy, with a low around -21. Wind chill values as low as -40. North northwest wind around 9 mph.

Tuesday: Mostly sunny, with a high near -3. West northwest wind around 9 mph.

Tuesday Night: Partly cloudy, with a low around -16.

Wednesday: Mostly sunny, with a high near 8.

Looks like the impending storm is going to miss us. However, the very strong high pressure cold air mass that's hanging out here will be a major cause of the storm. Warm wet gulf air is going to mix with our cold dry air and dump on a good portion of the country.

It's minus 30 degrees C (-22 F) outside. With windchill, -45 C (-45 F). :nonono:

Did I mention I'm moving? :whistle:

Beautiful day here in Northern Illinois at 25 degrees and sunny. Waiting for the 18" of snow (maybe thundersnow), 50 mph winds, and 8-10 foot drifts that are supposed to begin tomorrow, followed by a nice cold snap.

Beautiful day here in Northern Illinois at 25 degrees and sunny. Waiting for the 18" of snow (maybe thundersnow), 50 mph winds, and 8-10 foot drifts that are supposed to begin tomorrow, followed by a nice cold snap.

I am due for this Tuesday night and Wednesday. Can we go back to Alberta clippers?

Forecast for tonight and tomorrow in SW Ohio: sleet/snow/freezing rain.
Ran errands today.
I hate ice.

Forecast for tonight and tomorrow in SW Ohio: sleet/snow/freezing rain.
Ran errands today.
I hate ice.
Me too. :(
There USED to be some serious icicles hanging down from the gutter line along the back of my house. The longest icicle was approx 4 feet long, 4 inches wide.

I use a long flexible 1" PVC conduit pipe to knock them off (FROM THE SIDE NOT BELOW) so the weight of the entire ice dam doesn't bend the gutters. I can reach the icicles from the open walkway around my screened in porch. I also push some snowpack off to allow the sun to melt the ice directly. My algorithm w*rks! :)

I have heater wires along the edge of the roof to prevent melting water from the ice dams from leaking into the kitchen (edge of window at far right side of the pic)

Attachments

• icegutters2011.jpg
    icegutters2011.jpg
    32.5 KB · Views: 3
We are getting a tropical flow with moisture, and the tail end of the cold from the north. After almost a month of 60-70's we are getting winter.

Forecast for Eastern Cochise County below 5000 feet
Area Forecast For:
Issued: January 31, 2011 14:07:12 MST

Tonight: Mostly cloudy in the evening then becoming partly cloudy. A 20 percent chance of showers. Snow level 4500 feet. Little or no snow accumulation.

Tuesday: Breezy. Partly cloudy with a 10 percent chance of showers. No snow accumulation. Highs 52 to 57. West wind 15 to 25 mph in the afternoon.

Wednesday: Partly cloudy with a 10 percent chance of snow showers. Cooler. No snow accumulation. Highs 36 to 44.

Thursday: Partly cloudy with a 10 percent chance of snow showers. Highs 35 to 41.

Friday: Mostly sunny. Highs 45 to 50.

Friday night through Monday: Mostly clear. Highs 45 to 58.

Ruh roh....the bolded text is never good news at this latitude. :nonono:

from the NWS report for Binghamton NY...
WINTER STORM WARNING
* LOCATIONS: NORTH CENTRAL NEW YORK...THE UPPER FINGER
LAKES...WESTERN MOHAWK VALLEY AND SOUTHERN TUG HILL PLATEAU.
* HAZARDS: HEAVY SNOW.
* ACCUMULATIONS: 1 TO 3 INCHES OF SNOW LATE TONIGHT INTO TUESDAY. 10 TO 15 INCHES OF SNOW TUESDAY NIGHT AND WEDNESDAY.
* TIMING: LIGHT SNOW WILL MOVE INTO THE REGION LATE TONIGHT...AND TAPER OFF TUESDAY AFTERNOON. ANOTHER ROUND OF MUCH HEAVIER SNOW WILL DEVELOP LATE TUESDAY NIGHT AND CONTINUE INTO WEDNESDAY...BEFORE TAPERING OFF LATE IN THE DAY. THE HEAVIEST SNOW IS EXPECTED WEDNESDAY MORNING.

Our forecast for tomorrow:

Areas of dense fog in the morning. Numerous rain showers and scattered thunderstorms in the morning...then widespread rain showers and scattered thunderstorms in the afternoon. Some thunderstorms may be severe with gusty winds and large hail in the afternoon. Visibility one quarter mile or less at times in the morning. Highs in the lower 70s. Southeast winds 15 to 20 mph shifting to the southwest 15 to 25 mph in the afternoon. Chance of precipitation near 100 percent.

I almost feel guilty about those temperatures compared with what some of you are expecting. :blush:

But, overall, sounds like we have a rainy day ahead - - perhaps a great day for us to spend a cozy afternoon together at home. :whistle:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom