This weather is awful!! 2008-2021

Status
Not open for further replies.
I saw a video of that this morning, it looked like something out of Hollywood with the trucks in the air. Yikes!

Here in WV I'll be riding my motorcycle to/from work the rest of the week. I usually take a longer route home just to enjoy the ride.

Looks like that storm hit Dallas pretty hard. Apparently they had as many as a dozen tornados. My sympathies to all those affected.

Luckily the Dallas storm had lost much of its power by the time it reached us here in New Orleans. We had one tornado that took the roofs off of a couple of houses and damaged a few more in the Ponchartrain Park neighborhood and Gentilly (no casualties), and then headed out over the lake. One house in another neighborhood caught fire from lightning, and there was 3"-8" of rain dumped almost all at once resulting in widespread flooding in the usual areas. Hail damage was spotty throughout the metro area. Power is/was off in some areas (notably Baton Rouge).

Seems like the rain is dying down by now. I just checked, and there was no hail damage to my Venza (whew!). It sure was hard to sleep last night with all the storm noise.

Last edited:
I saw a video of that this morning, it looked like something out of Hollywood with the trucks in the air. Yikes!

Oh goodness, I agree! That video was something else!!! I can't believe how high in the air those tractor trailers were. It is a miracle no one was killed.

It sure was hard to sleep last night with all the storm noise.

It definitely gets your attention! After the tornados hit here April 27, 2011, I volunteered in the damaged areas. It really affected me, I now have a serious fear of storms. I sleep a bit better during storms now that I have a weather radio. Glad all was well your way.

I'm really glad that all is well at your house and in your family.

Did you see the photos of big over-the-road trailers that got picked up and thrown around down around Arlington? Scary indeed.

Ha
Thank you...:)

Oh yes, I've seen the pics and videos of the trailers being tossed around like toys.

I've lived in this area for 18 years and this is the first time I actually had a few nerves on edge. Storms don't really bother me as there is nothing I can do about them. DH and I talked about being storm chasers once he retired; but we decided to pursue other hobbies.

Last edited:

Oh yes, I've seen the pics and videos of the trailers being tossed around like toys.

I've lived in this area for 18 years and this is the first time I actually had a few nerves on edge. Storms don't really bother me as there is nothing I can do about them. DH and I talked about being storm chasers once he retired; but we decided to pursue other hobbies.

bbbam, if you still have any interest in it, although not to the extent of being a storm chaser, you might want to attend a Skywarn training seminar. They are free and you can become a weather spotter. I been to a few of these through the advanced:

NWS

While yesterday, aside from the fact there were so many touchdowns, didn't worry me so much, we had one several years back where we were in the bathtub for almost 30 minutes while we were getting pounded with golf ball+ sized hail. The sky was an errie shade of green for that one.

Sorry about all that bad weather and glad everyone is safe. 76 in Phoenix and high of 86 today - no rain, snow, hail, clouds, etc. in the forecast. It's rained twice here since Jan 1 - both times at night. Of course, we do expect it to hit 100 by the end of the month. Touched 90 twice so far. But it's a dry heat :cool:.

bbbam, if you still have any interest in it, although not to the extent of being a storm chaser, you might want to attend a Skywarn training seminar. They are free and you can become a weather spotter. I been to a few of these through the advanced:

NWS
Thanks for the link. :flowers:
While yesterday, aside from the fact there were so many touchdowns, didn't worry me so much, we had one several years back where we were in the bathtub for almost 30 minutes while we were getting pounded with golf ball+ sized hail. The sky was an errie shade of green for that one.
When we moved here from St. Louis, we were amazed at the different types of clouds we had never seen before ...and that eerie shade of green.

Sorry about all that bad weather and glad everyone is safe. 76 in Phoenix and high of 86 today - no rain, snow, hail, clouds, etc. in the forecast. It's rained twice here since Jan 1 - both times at night. Of course, we do expect it to hit 100 by the end of the month. Touched 90 twice so far. But it's a dry heat :cool:.
Yeah...yeah....:D

Anyone know whether the tractor trailer video was sol-mo or real time?

Real time. See the complete unedited 6 minute video from the KXAS NBC Channel 5 helicopter here:

Dallas-Fort Worth's Latest Videos, News Video, and Video Clips | NBC 5 Dallas-Fort Worth

The audio with the video is one-way, from station up to helicopter as the downlink video feed is being monitored.

Schneider National truck terminal off of I-20. Just West of the NW corner of I-20 & I-45. The Flying J is right over there on the North side of I-20. If the J starts flying, you're doomed.

Last edited:
When I first went to Dallas for work (back in the early 2000s), I was surprised to see all the tornado shelter signs on the buildings. But then I realized it was still a step up from my home in the DC area, where all the older buildings had fallout shelter signs in the stairwells.

image-3288399289.jpg

I hope this works- its a photo of the semi truck trailers in the air.

Glad you survived the tornado! Like you and your DH, I thought of being a storm chaser. Maybe you should reconsider - you could be driving one of these:

9489536fa.jpg

After March temperatures in 80s, freeze warning for next two nights.

Glad you survived the tornado! Like you and your DH, I thought of being a storm chaser. Maybe you should reconsider - you could be driving one of these:

9489536fa.jpg
Now that's what I'm talkin' about! Great for Dallas traffic too.....:D

Lovely day....82 degrees. :)

We just got over 30-50 mph winds, looks like it is heading east, and getting nastier. In the 40's most of this afternoon. I was going to plant my tomato's today not.

Forecast for Eastern Cochise County below 5000 feet
Area Forecast For:
Issued: April 14, 2012 16:17:53 MDT

Tonight: Breezy. Showers ending this evening northeast sections otherwise mostly cloudy. Much colder. Lows 29 to 34. West wind 20 to 30 mph in the evening.

Sunday: Partly cloudy. Highs 61 to 66.

Sunday night: Partly cloudy. Lows 35 to 40.

Today's forecast, partly sunny high 82. About time!

I'll definitely be out on the bike later.

Spent most of the day watching the weather channel yesterday. My kids came over and we spent the day together, weather watching. They went home to their apartment about 5:00 since they didn't think anything was going to happen. I sleep in my basement bedroom when tornados are predicted. My kids came walking down the stairs at midnight....after the tornado sirens went off.:D

Spent most of the day watching the weather channel yesterday. My kids came over and we spent the day together, weather watching. They went home to their apartment about 5:00 since they didn't think anything was going to happen. I sleep in my basement bedroom when tornados are predicted. My kids came walking down the stairs at midnight....after the tornado sirens went off.:D

Glad you and your kids are ok! That was quite a tornado outbreak and seems to have affected a wide area. How terrific that you have a basement bedroom, so you can sleep in relative safety.

Here, it's just hot and oppressively humid. Weather like this reminds me that I live in New Orleans. :LOL:

We got 5 inches of rain this afternoon, and it wasn't even predicted AFAIK. I had to go to the grocery store and even with my umbrella, I was pretty soggy by the time I got home. :) A shower and a change of clothing took care of that, and I am snug and dry now.

I love the rain, though - - washes everything clean and makes all the foliage so green. After last summer, I'm sure the Texans here appreciate rain a lot, too.

I'm sure the Texans here appreciate rain a lot, too.

We've had a lot in North Texas, however, many parts of the state are still in drought.

Our neighbors left for NOLA yesterday and will be there through tomorrow, hopefully its cleared.

We've had a lot in North Texas, however, many parts of the state are still in drought.

Our neighbors left for NOLA yesterday and will be there through tomorrow, hopefully its cleared.

It is clear, 73F, with 0% probability of rain today. Perfect timing! :D

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom