Join Early Retirement Today
Closed Thread

Old 11-21-2012, 04:45 PM   #2761
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ronstar View Post
Just left the high 70's of Arizona for the low 50's of Illinois. Thanksgiving will be unseasonably warm in Il in the low 60's, but there's a cold snap coming.
Record high for tomorrow here is 58. Forecasted high is 61 By sunrise friday it'll be down below freezing with snow flurries and a high of 32.
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-22-2012, 05:45 AM   #2762
Full time employment: Posting here.

Don't hate me because we're beautiful! We are going to be sunny and in the 60's for the next few days!
Old 11-22-2012, 06:06 AM   #2763
Recycles dryer sheets

Looks like a very nice Thanksgiving here in Atlanta. Sunny and 70° and the same for tomorrow.
Old 12-17-2012, 07:46 PM   #2764
Give me a forum ...

Looks like a white Christmas for me. Forecast for thursday the 20th is 6-12 inches with a band somewhere near me with 12+ inches of snow. Followed by high temperatures below freezing(no melting) for the entire next week. I can only tolerate 1 storm this size. If there's another one after the New Year, without any melting in between, i'm going to Florida.
Old 12-18-2012, 09:24 AM   #2765
Give me a forum ...

The NW will soon be shipping a wet storm system east. While it is cold it isn't cold enough by itself for snow to stick below ~500 feet. (Flakes are drifting past my windows in downtown Portland.) The Cascade Mtn range is getting a huge dump of snow and a couple of people have died in highway related accidents on the passes. Those of you who are already below freezing, or are at higher elevations, in its path - prepare for a blizzard.

This is a mixed blessing, nature is trying to bank some moisture for the spring and summer.
Old 12-18-2012, 09:48 AM   #2766
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

We are expecting a little front to come through.

Wednesday: Windy. Mostly cloudy with scattered showers. Much cooler. Snow level 5000 to 5500 feet. Snow accumulation around 1 inch. Highs 44 to 49. West wind 20 to 30 mph in the morning. Chance of precipitation 50 percent

It doesn't sound like much, but I live 30 miles north of Mexico.
Old 12-18-2012, 10:38 AM   #2767
Give me a forum ...

We have been having highs in the low 70's the past couple of days, and so we are wearing shorts and enjoying the weather.

A few days ago we had highs in the 50's, though, and it has been a weather rollercoaster lately.

Happily retired since 2009, at age 61. Best years of my life by far!
Old 12-20-2012, 02:05 PM   #2768
Give me a forum ...

Crap. Here comes the snow

Old 12-20-2012, 02:43 PM   #2769
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by steelyman View Post
7 inches so far for us. The latest forecast said 13.8 inches and wind gusts up to 50mph. We could have drifts several feet high. Wish I had a garage. Hope I can dig out for Christmas morning.
Old 12-20-2012, 02:44 PM   #2770
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by steelyman View Post
But since you just retired you can sit back and watch.
Old 12-20-2012, 02:51 PM   #2771
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brat View Post

But since you just retired you can sit back and watch.
You got that right! The wind is incredible, but I am - what's the phrase? - a bug in a rug! No commuting for the steelman

Old 12-21-2012, 07:22 AM   #2772
Administrator

The forecasted snowstorm never made it. That's good. The sun is making an appearance this morning after MIA for the past week.

Here's a very cool video showing boiling water turning instantly to ice in Siberia. I've seen different versions of it before but never tire of watching these. Boiling Water Freezes Instantly In Siberia - Business Insider
Old 12-21-2012, 07:42 AM   #2773
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso) Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by MichaelB View Post
Here's a very cool video showing boiling water turning instantly to ice in Siberia. I've seen different versions of it before but never tire of watching these. Boiling Water Freezes Instantly In Siberia - Business Insider
I saw this done many years ago when passing through Alaska after arriving on a non-stop flight from Florida. I think my system is still in shock...
Old 12-21-2012, 08:00 AM   #2774
Give me a forum ...

The Siberian temperature of -41C is -42F.

I have not experienced anything that cold. At my boonies home at 7000ft, the average low in the winter is 20F, and the record low is -25F (-32C). We had a chance to go up last weekend, but wife declined. There's snow there, from the local weathercam, and 2ft in some places. In comparison, Buffalo NY has an average low of 19F, and a record low of -20F (-29C).

I am now in the low-desert home. Temp is 42F (6C) outside, and 65F (18C) inside, and I am in shorts and T-shirt right now, sipping my coffee.
Old 12-21-2012, 08:19 AM   #2775
Give me a forum ...

When I lived in Winnipeg we used to freeze boiling water every winter, just because we could!

http://youtu.be/oSGDYZME9Gw
Old 12-21-2012, 08:30 AM   #2776
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Meadbh View Post
When I lived in Winnipeg we used to freeze boiling water every winter LOL!

Cold Day in Winnipeg - YouTube
Nice. Notice the guy in the video, @-30F, on the front porch: no hat, no gloves, medium jacket. I couldn't throw boiling water because I'd have so many layers of clothing and such I wouldn't be able to move.

Seeing this in person just got added to my list of things to do in retirement before "that" time comes.
Old 12-21-2012, 08:39 AM   #2777
Give me a forum ...

That Winnipeg temp was -30C, which was a "mere" -22F!
Old 12-21-2012, 08:58 AM   #2778

Quote:
Originally Posted by MichaelB View Post
Seeing this in person just got added to my list of things to do in retirement before "that" time comes.
Ms G. already has me signed up for the Polar Bear plunge on our summer trip to Alaska.
Old 12-21-2012, 09:38 AM   #2779

The coldest I've seen in ND is a -45 and it seemed like everyone in town did that experiment. Blowing soap bubbles in that cold is also interesting, they freeze immediately. The state temperature records are -60 for low and +120 for high.

Edit: I went back to a post from a couple of years ago to find this and post it again.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature...&v=OM9WXrGftXE
Old 12-21-2012, 11:57 AM   #2780
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nodak View Post
The coldest I've seen in ND is a -45 and it seemed like everyone in town did that experiment. Blowing soap bubbles in that cold is also interesting, they freeze immediately. .......
That is cold enough to freeze the balls off of a brass mokey.

For those with a dirty mind..... look up nautical term: brass monkey. Hint, it is from the days of sailing war ships.