Join Early Retirement Today
Closed Thread

Old 05-09-2015, 02:42 PM   #3561
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

I just had about 4 inches of mostly pea-sized hail. Good thing that stopped. Now it is snowing heavily! This is supposed to continue through the evening. I may have to put the plow back on the truck for this one.

I had to squeegee snow/slush this morning. Then the sun was out for about three hours. Looks like a winter wonderland out there.
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-09-2015, 02:45 PM   #3562
Moderator Emeritus

In mid May, Hermit? Wow. That's a different world from New Orleans, that's for sure.

Stay safe and I hope you don't have to go anywhere in that mess.

Happily retired since 2009, at age 61. Best years of my life by far!
Old 05-09-2015, 03:11 PM   #3563

Quote:
Originally Posted by W2R View Post
In mid May, Hermit? Wow. That's a different world from New Orleans, that's for sure.

Stay safe and I hope you don't have to go anywhere in that mess.
Nope. I'm Retired!
Old 05-09-2015, 03:14 PM   #3564
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hermit View Post
Nope. I'm Retired!
It's a great life, isn't it!

Happily retired since 2009, at age 61. Best years of my life by far!
Old 05-09-2015, 07:29 PM   #3565
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hermit View Post
I just had about 4 inches of mostly pea-sized hail. Good thing that stopped. Now it is snowing heavily! This is supposed to continue through the evening. I may have to put the plow back on the truck for this one.

I had to squeegee snow/slush this morning. Then the sun was out for about three hours. Looks like a winter wonderland out there.

I am going to hibernate until this crazy snowstorm is over in Colorado. We just covered the garden. I hope the heavy wet snow doesn't break too many tree branches.
Old 05-09-2015, 08:11 PM   #3566
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

All the winter's Aspenites have long since moved back to their other homes in Malibu.

It's because of the May rains that come every year.

Maybe some will return for the fabulous summer weather.
Old 05-11-2015, 08:35 PM   #3567

Here's a link to a cool map for those who want to complain about too many cloudy days where they live.

The cloudiest places on Earth, in one beautiful map - Vox
No doubt a continuous prosperity, though spendthrift, is preferable to an economy thriftily moral, though lean. Nevertheless, that prosperity would seem more soundly shored if, by a saving grace, more of us had the grace to save.

Life Magazine editorial, 1956
Old 05-16-2015, 10:38 AM   #3568
Administrator

Last couple of nights the evening news has talked about flash floods in Texas. Everyone all right over there?
Old 05-16-2015, 11:20 AM   #3569

I think the worst of it has been in the north Texas area, at least in terms of severity of impacts.

It's a typical springtime down here along the Texas Upper Gulf Coast. We're transitioning from winter and its shoulder seasons, when cold fronts actual make it all the way to the ocean. For the next four months, however, the humidity will be up as the prevailing winds swing to the southeast and cool fronts die up north somewhere.

High moisture + a slow moving low pressure wave = Heavy downpours, often in concentrated doses.

One spot north of town had a hail storm a couple of weeks ago that wiped out the inventory at a car dealership.

The emergency folks had to fish a few folks out of their cars and neighborhoods after this one on the south side earlier this week:

Quote:
The National Weather Service has issued a flash flood warning for southern Harris and northwest Galveston counties until 1:15 a.m. Wednesday.

The alert, issued around 10:30 p.m., said in part:

"Doppler Radar indicated heavy rain across the warned area. Parts of Galveston County received between 6 and 9 inches of rain earlier this evening. Rainfall rates are approaching 3 inches per hour in southern Harris County and a quick 2 to 4 inches of rain will be possible from Webster to Friendswood."
No doubt a continuous prosperity, though spendthrift, is preferable to an economy thriftily moral, though lean. Nevertheless, that prosperity would seem more soundly shored if, by a saving grace, more of us had the grace to save.

Life Magazine editorial, 1956
Old 05-16-2015, 11:35 AM   #3570
Recycles dryer sheets

Been cool, windy and grey here in the SF Bay Area but no MUCH needed rain in my area.
Old 05-16-2015, 11:49 AM   #3571
gone traveling

Yes, North Texas has been hammered with tornadoes, hail, straight line winds, and torrential never ending rains. Forecast shows rain everyday for the next week or more. I've never seen anything like this since we came to Texas in 1993.
Old 05-16-2015, 06:27 PM   #3572

Quote:
Originally Posted by DFW_M5 View Post
Yes, North Texas has been hammered with tornadoes, hail, straight line winds, and torrential never ending rains. Forecast shows rain everyday for the next week or more. I've never seen anything like this since we came to Texas in 1993.
I think we're getting California's rain. The lakes are filling up (finally). Hey, no rain today, so far. Time to now the lawn.

Sent from my AT100 using Early Retirement Forum mobile app

Disclaimer: My Posts are for my amusement only.
Old 05-16-2015, 07:23 PM   #3573
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso) Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eagle43 View Post
I think we're getting California's rain. The lakes are filling up (finally).
Our local lake is a long way from filling up, but it has gone up 9+ feet in the past couple of weeks and it is still climbing. It's higher than it has been since early 2013 but it still under 10% of capacity and needs to go up another 75 feet to be full.

Gonna take a while...
Attached Images
File Type: png LakesOnline_LakeLevel.png (36.5 KB, 12 views)
Old 05-16-2015, 11:53 PM   #3574

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eagle43 View Post
I think we're getting California's rain. The lakes are filling up (finally). Hey, no rain today, so far. Time to now the lawn.

Sent from my AT100 using Early Retirement Forum mobile app

SoCal got a good couple of days of rain on Thursday and Friday. Sprinkles today! ☔️🌈
Old 05-17-2015, 01:05 AM   #3575
Full time employment: Posting here.

This spring has been cooler and wetter than usual in New Mexico. More rain today. The weatherman says we may not even have a fire season this year. Yippee!!
Old 05-17-2015, 08:45 AM   #3576
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Rain gauge shows we got 4 inches of rain last night. Our lakes have been full for about a month now. Methinks the birdies will have to grow gills...
Old 05-18-2015, 08:16 AM   #3577

It rained last night. This morning it turned into snow and snowed pretty heavily for about an hour. It didn't stick to the roads, but they are pretty muddy now. The good news is there is a prediction of one day of sun in the next ten.

I'm starting to think of moving to Seattle where the weather might be a little nicer!
Old 05-19-2015, 02:13 PM   #3578

Snow again this morning. Squeegeed an inch of slush and snow off the floor of the house again. It started snowing again and has been off and on since. Just had a nice little snow shower with great big, fluffy flakes at 2:00 in the afternoon. It shouldn't be doing this on May 19th.

The snow has stopped and I see patches of blue sky. Who knows? I may see some sunshine today after all.
Old 05-19-2015, 02:38 PM   #3579
Recycles dryer sheets

This morning it was only 29 degrees at our house. The early garden and flowering trees are now frozen brown and toast. Sometimes it just does not pay to plant early here in North Dakota.

Sent from my iPad using Early Retirement Forum
Old 05-20-2015, 07:14 AM   #3580
gone traveling

Some of the churches in the metroplex have billboards up that say, "For those who have been praying for rain, please stop"
Closed Thread