Join Early Retirement Today
Closed Thread

Old 07-23-2016, 10:07 PM   #3941
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by W2R View Post
New Orleans in late July. It's bearable. October is our reward for surviving July and August.

100 or so here; been high 90s recently; Jul-Sep is generally just miserable, though no NO or Houston humidity, but high enough. Air pollution orange pretty much all summer...

Speaking of October, I don't have the spreadsheet in front of me, but my electric usage per month in fall and late winter/early spring is in the 300-500 kwh range. In the summer, with the a/c running, I use that much energy in a week...

...not doing anything of true substance...
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-24-2016, 06:44 AM   #3942
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

The thunderstorm that rolled in was not predicted, included an incredible downpour ,hurricane like winds and hail...the power was out for 2 hours. I watched it in awe...

Sent from my iPad using Early Retirement Forumh
Old 07-24-2016, 07:40 AM   #3943
Full time employment: Posting here.

Send a message via ICQ to hesperus Send a message via AIM to hesperus Send a message via Yahoo to hesperus
91 yesterday, t-storms built up but never delivered... The monsoon has been a bit of a bust so far this summer. Fingers crossed
Old 07-27-2016, 06:31 PM   #3944
Give me a forum ...

I think I just lost 5 pounds playing golf after work, in a cart with music blaring
Old 07-27-2016, 06:42 PM   #3945
Give me a forum ...

High of 87F today but only 50% humidity so still quite comfortable unless working hard and no need to do that... I'm retired.

Retired Jan 2012 at age 56
Old 07-27-2016, 06:43 PM   #3946
Give me a forum ...

we had to be over 100 with "official" low humidity (10%) but they've thrown so much water on the golf course it was horrible
Old 07-27-2016, 08:57 PM   #3947
Give me a forum ...

Likely brief respite from the 100s due to waves of clouds and pop-up t-storms in the afternoon, but still 90s, and humidity you could cut with a knife. Plus, lots of sound and fury, but very little rain at mi casa...

Old 08-04-2016, 07:43 PM   #3948
Moderator Emeritus

We had such a hair-raising, terrifying storm this afternoon! It was sunny and hot all day, and then around 4 PM without the slightest warning all h*ll broke loose. It literally became as black as night. Like midnight. For an hour or so there was a lot of thunder, a lot of rain, a lot of lightning, and a whole lot of wind. Once it had mostly passed, I turned on the TV and apparently there were several dozen rotations all around, of which at least one was officially a tornado. Some houses were knocked down, but AFAIK nobody was killed, thank goodness.

Tornado touches down in New Orleans, National Weather Service confirms | NOLA.com

Frank and I are fine but I sure didn't expect tornados to arise out of nowhere on this lazy summer afternoon.

Happily retired since 2009, at age 61. Best years of my life by far!
Old 08-04-2016, 08:13 PM   #3949

We had a massive thunderstorm here last night. Here is a picture of a lightning strike just south of town.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg media.jpg (46.3 KB, 14 views)
Old 08-05-2016, 04:04 PM   #3950

Quote:
Originally Posted by W2R View Post
We had such a hair-raising, terrifying storm this afternoon! It was sunny and hot all day, and then around 4 PM without the slightest warning all h*ll broke loose. It literally became as black as night. Like midnight. For an hour or so there was a lot of thunder, a lot of rain, a lot of lightning, and a whole lot of wind. Once it had mostly passed, I turned on the TV and apparently there were several dozen rotations all around, of which at least one was officially a tornado. Some houses were knocked down, but AFAIK nobody was killed, thank goodness.

Tornado touches down in New Orleans, National Weather Service confirms | NOLA.com

Frank and I are fine but I sure didn't expect tornados to arise out of nowhere on this lazy summer afternoon.
When I heard the weather news on TV, I was wondering how you and F made out. Was the storm close to you?
Old 08-05-2016, 11:56 PM   #3951
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by splitwdw View Post
When I heard the weather news on TV, I was wondering how you and F made out. Was the storm close to you?
The storm was pretty much right on top of us! The wind was loud and scary and definitely rotational, and in fact there were rumors of some waterspouts very close to us. But the one rotation that was officially declared a tornado was about 5 miles away, thank goodness, and we had no damage at either of our homes or in our neighborhood.

Old 08-10-2016, 02:30 PM   #3952

90° and 56% humidity but it sure feels a lot hotter than that. The lawn guy was just here to mow and it sure was nice to just hand him a check rather than have to go out and mow it myself.

The older I get the more I find that the "band" of temperatures in which I'm comfortable is getting smaller and smaller....
Old 08-10-2016, 03:47 PM   #3953
Moderator Emeritus

On Monday we had flash flood watches and the forecast shown in the graphic below.

But despite the dire rain predictions, not one single drop of rain fell on Monday, Tuesday, or all day today (Wednesday) until well after 4 PM. Flash flood watches continued. Our highs approached 100F each day instead of those nice cool temps predicted.

Finally, it began to rain a few minutes ago, pretty hard, too so this should cool things down at last. We are on (relatively) high ground, only a few feet below sea level, and we don't have to go anywhere, so I am not in any flooding danger. It may be hard to imagine but actually I love the climate here.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Capture.JPG (61.7 KB, 7 views)

Old 08-10-2016, 04:12 PM   #3954
Moderator Emeritus

Another little heat wave. now its 87°, 70% humidity, 76° dew point, feels like 97°.
High tomorrow 91° with a heat index of 102°
Only have 0.10" of rain this month, but we had the third wettest July on record
Old 08-10-2016, 04:20 PM   #3955
Give me a forum ...

88 and 34%, nice!
Old 08-10-2016, 04:23 PM   #3956
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by RobbieB View Post
88 and 34%, nice!
I can't imagine 34% humidity. You're right - Nice
Old 08-10-2016, 04:24 PM   #3957
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by RobbieB View Post
88 and 34%, nice!
78F and 95% right now, here. It's raining at nearly 6"/hour right now. Happily inside watching it storm.

Old 08-11-2016, 09:38 AM   #3958
Give me a forum ...

90, headed toward 102, with humidity at 52%...

Old 08-11-2016, 10:28 AM   #3959
Moderator Emeritus

It's so hot here I can't make myself post the numbers!
Old 08-11-2016, 10:32 AM   #3960
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso) Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by aja8888 View Post
It's so hot here I can't make myself post the numbers!
I'll man up and post a heat index of 103F 105F, and it isn't noon yet.