This weather is awful!! 2008-2021

Status
Not open for further replies.
We generally do not get a lot of snow during the course of a winter, usually not much more than 36 inches. There are no large bodies of water to moderate temps so we get 3 or 4 inches at a time associated with Alberta clippers. This last storm brought up moisture from the Guf of Mexico. The Bismarck blizzard was about 12 inches. The wind and the open land cause severe drifting in towns. The biggest problem here is that after Thanksgiving whatever snow does fall will be here untill the spring melt, usually early April. The longest cold snap I have ever seen was about 90 consecutive days of below zero temps day and night in the winter of 1978/1979.

Oh, I wasn't minimizing what y'all face in the winter. There's no way I could live there. It blows me away, the temperatures and conditions that occur out in the Midwest/west. I was just a little surprised that 12" of snow was such a big deal, even those were definitely some nasty drifts. Of course, in these days of The Weather Channel, a stiff breeze can be a national headline. We've lived through a couple of hurricanes that were just a tad above no big deal. But according to what we were watching on TV, we should have been running for our lives.

Yes, TV in general does all it can to exagerate its own importance.

Went hiking this morning at 12° and 20 mph winds. Stayed warm because I was moving, but fingers got cold when I took off my gloves to change camera lenses, etc.

saw this downtown this morning - we are about to set a snowfall record

Attachments

• yeti.jpg
    yeti.jpg
    21.3 KB · Views: 30
I just got an e-mail from a worried Ranch member. He wanted to make sure the available plows were up and running since they were both down after the last snow. They are working. We are supposed to get a foot or more. I will be out plowing tomorrow or as soon as it stops snowing. I hope is doesn't get so bad I have to plow in the snow.

The Texas weather has finally proved to be too much for my refrigerator/freezer. I've got an old fridge in my garage that I use for beer and frozen food. It has held up really well though the years, even when the temps in the garage have hit 120+ degrees during our sweltering summers. Yesterday evening, I loaded up the freezer with a bunch of fresh meat that DW brought home from the grocery store. Then, this morning, I go out to the garage in our 23 degree weather to get some breakfast sausage from the freezer. I find that yesterday's purchases are still not frozen and some of the food that was already in there was beginning to thaw. Uh oh!! It took me a while and some google research to figure out what was going on. It turns out that most refrigerators turn the compressor on or off based on the temp in the refrigerator side, not the freezer. So, it was cold enough in my garage that the compressor did not kick on all night. The solution was to open the door on the refrigerator side and set up a small space heater aimed at the open door. This got the compressor running again and froze up the freezer side. I think I'm ready for summer!!

It rained all day yesterday, and on into the evening, when temperatures dropped below freezing. As I awakened at 9 AM, it was 28F outside with a windchill of 15F. BRRRR!!! This was our first freeze of the winter, and it was below freezing for nine hours. And such wind!

Luckily I was nice and toasty warm inside my home, with a perfectly functioning new heater installed last fall. Also I have three comforters on my bed just for extra warmth. We are not used to this down here. I know the rest of the country is getting slammed by this cold weather, too.

Cold as a well diggers butt here the last 2 days. Some sleet and snow. Finally got the dog out this afternoon for a walk but the breeze was frosty. A little better tomorrow as the high is suppose to be around 38. Next week will be back to normal temps for here.

7°F when I got up this morning, and by mid afternoon it was all the way up to 17. This is Kentucky, so folks are not really used to this. I can see the interstate from my window, and there was hardly any traffic at 9:30 am.

Just saw on the Phoenix news where a group had a "polar plunge" today in a pool. Really? It's 65 degrees. Don't think that meets the criteria for a polar plunge. The plungers complained that they were freezing. They have no idea what freezing is.

We do NOT need anymore snow

Attachments

• 20170104_133638.jpg
    20170104_133638.jpg
    660.3 KB · Views: 22
We had -23 this morning and another 8 to 10 coming in the next three days.

Yep. I was stationed in Syracuse for a few years long ago, which sits in the "snow belt" of upstate New York. Something called the Lake Effect takes any moisture in the air over the Great Lakes and dumps it on that area in the form of snow.

One winter while I lived in Syracuse we had 155 total inches (about 4 meters), but locals simply dealt with it -- business as usual in that area.

I don't miss it a bit.

We live the lake effect regularly. Good part is that the warm lake keeps out temperatures more moderate than inland. We are having a mild winter, but according to the Golden Snow Globe ranking, we're at #4, Syracuse is #1

Current Top 25 Snowiest US Cities | Golden Snow Globe National Snow Contest Snowiest US City Pop 100,000+

But it takes at least a 10 inch snowfall before anything around here gets significantly affected.

Well, the weather fakers called for 1-3 inches here on the Eastern Shore of MD. We were planning to leave for FL, but I heard it might be worse south of here, maybe up to 5" in NC. So we decided to hold on for a few days.

In the end, we officially got 11.5", but with 30 mph winds. There are spots in the yard where we can see the grass poking through, but we've got 3-4 foot drifts at our doors and gates, and out where the cars are. I don't have a good picture of it, but the car closest to the house ended up with over a foot of snow on it. The car right next to it, but further out into the wind didn't have a single flake on it. It was weird.

The picture is from one of our IP cameras. It was taken at about 10:15 am. We got snow for another 8 hours after that. Pretty good for 1-3 inches. My DD, who lives about 3 hours west in the DC area didn't even get an inch. I don't think we're going to be leaving for FL until Wed. now.

Attachments

• LHS-Mudroom_IPC_main_20170107101548.jpg
    LHS-Mudroom_IPC_main_20170107101548.jpg
    363.6 KB · Views: 22
Snow, sleet, and freezing rain here.
Its not so much the snow thats the problem. That darn freezing rain creates an ice rink on the street and you don't dare go out. Supposed to be 33 degrees by noon, so this will start to go away soon.

found on facebook

Attachments

• 15825831_1287944564598034_1455602438975741799_n.jpg
    15825831_1287944564598034_1455602438975741799_n.jpg
    46.4 KB · Views: 29
:)

It does sound like, on average, things are quite nice. :)

Say, did you used to work for Microsoft?:D

We had a high temp of 21° F today, which isn't all that unusual in January. Still, it's colder than the 80° I like where I take off a long-sleeved flannel shirt.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom