This weather is awful!! 2008-2021

Status
Not open for further replies.
So far we've been lucky with no snow but it appears that luck is about to run out. Forecast is for ~2 inches this evening/overnight. I had hoped that dropping a grand on a new snow thrower would mean "no snow" for at least a few years but is seems that Murphy isn't up to his usual game.

26 F and snow/sleet here on the North side of Houston. Everything is shut down for today and tomorrow.

Wow!!! That's COLD for Houston. My guess is that this is where our predictions came from. They probably expect the same storm to hit us shortly. It's still just 38F, but the predicted low tonight is (get this!): 22F!! BRRRRR

Attachments

• Capture.JPG
    Capture.JPG
    27.9 KB · Views: 19
Wow!!! That's COLD for Houston. My guess is that this is where our predictions came from. They probably expect the same storm to hit us shortly. It's still just 38F, but the predicted low tonight is (get this!): 22F!! BRRRRR

Very cold for NO! We are looking at 19 F for tonight then slowly warming toward the weekend.

Wow, snow in New Orleans? Really? Snow? Right now?

Wikipedia says,
Snow in the state of Louisiana presents a rare and serious problem because of the state's subtropical climate. For snow to push into the southern region of Louisiana, extreme weather conditions for the area must be present, usually a low-pressure system coupled with unusually low temperatures. Average snowfall in Louisiana is approximately 0.2 inches (5.1 mm) per year, a low figure rivaled only by the states of Florida and Hawaii. Due to the infrequency of these cold weather patterns, southern areas affected in this state are often unprepared to deal with slick streets and freezing temperatures.

OK, I'm going to turn on my (dim) porch light and see if I can see this through the French doors..... :D

Attachments

• Capture.JPG
    Capture.JPG
    31.3 KB · Views: 12
Whoo hoo, buying the snow thrower worked!:dance: Well, so far anyway.

We got a "dusting" and the most appropriate snow removal tool was a push broom that DW used. (She's fussy for some reason about getting it off the driveway/sidewalk. I'm more likely to take the Marion Barry approach for a light snow, i.e., wait for Spring.)

We got a "dusting" and the most appropriate snow removal tool was a push broom that DW used. (She's fussy for some reason about getting it off the driveway/sidewalk. I'm more likely to take the Marion Barry approach for a light snow, i.e., wait for Spring.)
Wonderful!!

We got down to 19F last night and it is still only 26F at 11:30 AM. We have snow on the ground! Well, sort of. We had freezing rain after the snow, so it's sort of like a snow-colored inch thick layer of ice I guess. I'm not going out there to examine it, photograph it, or try to remove it because I would slip and fall. And needless to say I am not driving in it. We are cut off from the rest of the world, from all directions because many roads here are closed, including the Causeway bridge over Lake Ponchartrain, I-10, and numerous other major and minor roads. Schools and public buildings are all closed, the streetcars are shut down, the airport is closed, and so on. I have not heard one single car drive down our street. This just never happens here.

Anyway, they are saying it will get above freezing for an hour or so today but I think not!! This is so much fun when retired and safe, cozy, and warm at home; Mother Nature is showing us something new and different.

Last edited:
Winter wonderland here today after yesterday's blizzard dumped about a foot of heavy but beautiful snow. Snow spit out of the sky from morning to night, and today schools are closed (all except mine, sigh). My blessed retired neighbor rides his mini snowplough all around the block, helping out immensely in shoveling the sidewalk. This morning I spent an hour on my walkways and probably won't start on the garage apron until the weekend. Very, very fortunately I can walk to work and everywhere I'll need to go over the next few days. And the weather is warm (20s), up to 40s this weekend, so lotsa slush will be going on. Ah, winter in Minny-soota! :)

Glad it's working.
Back in NYC we used to call it the John Lindsay snow removal method. He was a one-term mayor a long time ago who once said during a big snowstorm when people were complaining about closed streets: "God put it there and God will take it away."

Just went for a walk for lunch 54 degrees and mostly sunny. Unusual but welcome for south East Pennsylvania in late January. We all know it wont last...

Forecast today is for a high of 63° so for mid-January I"ll take it!

While not that high for the rest of the week it is still going to be unseasonably warm.:dance:

Next month has been known to be "payback time" for events like this so it ain't over yet.:hide:

In the midst of a big blizzard, howling winds, swirling snow, white out conditions.
Would be kinda neat if it weren't mid April and everyone is crawling the walls with cabin fever.

In the midst of a big blizzard, howling winds, swirling snow, white out conditions.
Would be kinda neat if it weren't mid April and everyone is crawling the walls with cabin fever.

Looks like I might get lucky and end up with 15-20 inches by Monday morning. Areas less than 100 miles away will likely reach 30 inches. Add drifting and snow plow piles. I sure wish I was retired and didn't have to dig out by Monday.

this winter is lasting way too long! In the paper today they were talking about people with contracts to have there driveways plowed and the contracts ended 3/31. A little extra bonus for the snowplow business.

I wouldn't trade with the above 4 posters, but I just came in from working in the yard, 90 degrees and sunny, feels like 92 (according to the weather report...feels like 98 to me). We're going to hit a low of 75 tonight. I think it may be about time to head north.

Yeah, harley, just twist the knife....:LOL::LOL:

Yeah, sunny & 84° here, first day of the year I went out wearing just a t-shirt (well, pants too).

I wouldn't trade with the above 4 posters, but I just came in from working in the yard, 90 degrees and sunny, feels like 92 (according to the weather report...feels like 98 to me). We're going to hit a low of 75 tonight. I think it may be about time to head north.

Had a day or 2 in the low 70’s. Now 40 and rainy. Forecast says we won’t make it to up to 60 for the next 9 days. I think it’s about time to head south.

Come on down to Florida. We love the heat, so don't mind at all the upcoming 6 months of summer.

This weather is awful!!

Yeah, harley, just twist the knife....[emoji23][emoji23]

Yeah, sunny & 84° here, first day of the year I went out wearing just a t-shirt (well, pants too).

Good to hear Walt. It was 34 when we left on vacation last Tuesday and we hope it is summer when we’re back on Thursday.

Oh, it is 85 and sunny in St Lucia! :cool:

We are in the middle of a blizzard. I'm about to go out and take a first crack at shoveling.

In the middle of a blizzard here too. Looks like worst is behind us. About 9". Thank goodness for the 8hp Briggs n stratton

Second wave is just starting and they are saying 10-16 additional inches. I may have to pay someone to clear my driveway before work on Monday.

14 degrees this morning. We may get a little snow toward the end of the week. I would like one of those really big April snows up here. We could really use the moisture.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom