Join Early Retirement Today
Closed Thread

Old 12-21-2008, 05:14 PM   #21
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by MovingtotheCove View Post
In addition to falling on the ice yesterday and hurting bad today from the fall now the main drive gear in my garage door opener broke today due to the cold.
Sorry about your fall.

One good thing about the cold is that it just might get the NG price back up.

As for me here in Seattle, I am doing fine and basically enjoying the change. I haven't taken my car out, and won't.

My Friday date gave me props for all the effort I exerted just to show up. I need more of these easy set-ups. A lot of stuff I can't do, but walk through the snow is something I can do.

Ha
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 12-21-2008, 05:16 PM   #22

My brother, who lives in New Hampshire, has been without power for over a week!

Last night it was so warm here I only needed a light sweater to go out. Today, though, it's gotten pretty chilly! 36 degrees right now. Going down to 17 tonight. Brrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr!!!!

(55, married; Mr. Simple Girl, 59. FIRED 12/31/19!)
Old 12-21-2008, 05:28 PM   #23
Give me a forum ...

Yes it is very bad weather. We go back and forth between 6 inches of snow and below 0 temps. Windchill was -30 this morning. You know it's cold when you have to scrap the inside of your windshield when your done with the outside. 30 inches of snow and it's not even Christmas yet.
Old 12-21-2008, 05:47 PM   #24
Give me a forum ...

Last week we were in Los Altos (where it was rainy and chilly) looking after two of the grand-children. As we prepared them for our departure to Seattle the 4-year old told us that his parents could buy the house next door so that we could move and not worry about frozen pipes. Love that kid!

This cold and snow is very unusual. I worry about our son and his family who live on a floating home near Portland.
Old 12-21-2008, 06:02 PM   #25
Give me a forum ...

We just took a walk around a couple blocks by our house - tree limbs coming down pretty nonstop - note a pic taken on our way out then heard a crack and took a pic on our way back:
Attached Images
File Type: jpg DSCN0819.jpg (570.4 KB, 14 views)
File Type: jpg DSCN0808.jpg (818.1 KB, 10 views)
File Type: jpg DSCN0810.jpg (777.7 KB, 10 views)
File Type: jpg DSCN0832.jpg (738.8 KB, 10 views)
File Type: jpg DSCN0824.jpg (593.2 KB, 9 views)
Old 12-21-2008, 06:34 PM   #26
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Southeastern Michigan here. Right now temp is zero, with 35 mile wind gusts. Past few days dumped about 15 inches of snow and we're supposed to get more in the next few days. So cold two of the dogs won't go outside to do their business...and the smallest one (the puggle) disappears in the snow -- actually quite funny to watch.

But the weather here in spring and fall is usually pretty nice. Now? Not so much.
Old 12-21-2008, 06:53 PM   #27
Gone but not forgotten

Send a message via AIM to Khan
Temp: 3F
Wind: W at 25

Retired: Don't have to drive to w*rk at 6AM.
Old 12-21-2008, 07:37 PM   #28
Moderator Emeritus

About -5 temp, 25 mph winds here in northern Illinois. Everyone here is still removing tree limbs from the latest ice storm.
Old 12-21-2008, 07:38 PM   #29
Recycles dryer sheets

Jeeze Camloki way to scare people! I saw the picture of your hand and I thought it was a bloody knife rather than an icy tree branch and that your fourth finger had been cut off! Man I never should have watched "Dark Knight" last night!
Old 12-21-2008, 07:38 PM   #30

i've never even driven in snow but for the flurries i had in the mountains last autumn. i couldn't imagine commuting in weather like i've been seeing on tv reports; or at least, i would trade in the stang for a bumper car.

(though my bro & family are on their way to buffalo ny for skiiing so for them i hope they get snow.)

"life should begin with age and its privileges and accumulations, and end with youth and its capacity to splendidly enjoy such advantages."~~mark twain - letter to edward kimmitt 1901
Old 12-21-2008, 07:51 PM   #31
Give me a forum ...

Neighbor just lost another major amount of the old oak tree -

LG4NB - our Bamboo is not happy, but springs back:

Posted our pics here:
calmloki/winterwonderland - Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting
Old 12-21-2008, 08:19 PM   #32
Moderator Emeritus

I was supposed to spend the holidays in Europe but I have been unable to fly into NYC to catch my transatlantic flight. I tried Friday, flight to NYC was cancelled and I got stuck in Atlanta for the night. I tried again Saturday after being rerouted through Columbus, OH and soon after landing there I found out that they had cancelled my onward flight to NYC. So I spent the night in Columbus hoping to give it another try this morning. When I found out this morning that flights to NYC were already heavily delayed, I just gave up and came back home to AL.
Old 12-21-2008, 09:17 PM   #33
Moderator Emeritus

Well... uhm... ah... gosh, we had a big rainstorm last week that dumped 12" in 12 hours. (It's probably the same storm that Brat's dealing with now.) We had to shut all our windows and one of our roof vents leaked when the rain blew in. And all our lanai furniture was soaking wet, all the way up to the house wall. And a local reservoir almost overflowed and we had flash flooding in a bunch of gulches around the island.

And... and... and the surf temperature is down in the low 70s and it feels really cold when you first get in. I may have to buy a 3mm shorty for next winter.

I've lived in (or lived through) Pittsburgh, Annapolis, Connecticut, Ballston Spa NY, all over Colorado, Chicago area, and Holy Loch, Scotland. Don't miss that stuff a bit.

Hawaii's November visitor count was down 15%, the worst month since records going back to the Great Depression. The year is shaping up to be at least as bad as the year after 9/11. Bargains should be plenty the next couple months!

http://www.starbulletin.com/news/haw...on_levels.html

Co-author (with my daughter) of “Raising Your Money-Savvy Family For Next Generation Financial Independence.”
Author of the book written on E-R.org: "The Military Guide to Financial Independence and Retirement."

I don't spend much time here— please send a PM.
Old 12-21-2008, 09:18 PM   #34
Give me a forum ...

All that ice reminds me of December 1979 in MO. (yeah, a looong time ago) Anyway, we didn't have power or gas for three days and we, like most, had no generator. We did pretty well except we froze our buns off since we had a waterbed. ....
Old 12-21-2008, 09:24 PM   #35
Give me a forum ...

Calmloki's home photo reminds me of my cousin's home in Coburg, OR.
Old 12-21-2008, 09:37 PM   #36
Gone but not forgotten

Send a message via AIM to Khan
Temperature now 1F
Old 12-21-2008, 09:44 PM   #37

I jumped ship 1 week ago just before the big storm moved in. Went from just south of the Canadian border to just north of the Mexican border. Locals here are saying it is terribly cold - highs only in the mid 60s to low 70s and the lows almost hitting the freeze mark. It is interesting to be running around in a "T" shirt and seeing others bundled in winter coats, gloves, and hats. By Christmas day it is suppose to warm up. I can handle weather like this.
Old 12-21-2008, 10:06 PM   #38

It got up to 0° here today! Winds were steady 20-30 mph, with higher gusts...but at least it was sunny! We had ice, sleet, freezing rain, and a dusting of snow the other night, so we have solidly frozen stuff 1.5"-2" thick everywhere, and the power lines had about 1/4" to 1/2" of ice on them. Fortunately we didn't experience any downed lines or outages!

S'posed to get all the way up to around 10° tomorrow, with very little wind...and sunny.....Woo-hoo!!! A dang heat wave!

I've got the generator all ready to fire up if needed, and have enough fuel to run it intermittently for over 2 weeks in an emergency.....I figure I'd run it for 1/2 hour, then turn it off for 2 hours....rinse...repeat. That way the furnace would run on an almost normal basis.....hot water heat & radiators, and the refrigerator and freezer would keep cold.....and I could surf the 'net while it was running!

My brother lost power out in Massachusetts for a few days about a week and a half ago, but it was restored before he turned into a popsickle.
Old 12-21-2008, 11:14 PM   #39
Moderator Emeritus

-5F with winds. And we could have stayed in Phoenix.
Old 12-21-2008, 11:22 PM   #40

Quote:
Originally Posted by haha View Post
Sorry about your fall.

One good thing about the cold is that it just might get the NG price back up.

As for me here in Seattle, I am doing fine and basically enjoying the change. I haven't taken my car out, and won't.

My Friday date gave me props for all the effort I exerted just to show up. I need more of these easy set-ups. A lot of stuff I can't do, but walk through the snow is something I can do.

Ha
The weather is just crazy here in Seattle. Snow on top of snow. Most days the last week and more it has not been above freezing and many days the high temperature (if you can call it that) was in the twenties. Last time I checked there looked like about 6" of snow on the ground up here in the north end and more snow possible tomorrow. My favorite auntie planned to come up for Christmas more or less at the last minute and I hope she can get a plane. Alaska and Horizon cancelled all their flights today and from what I see on the news, the airport is a mess with loads of people stranded and very few flights coming or going. I thought they might fly people to Portland OR and send them the rest of the way in a bus but they've had snow there too according to a friend in Oregon I talked to this afternoon. And if her flight isn't canceled I think we will have to send the chauffeur to pick her up as like haha I don't drive in the snow and my parents live on a steep hill so they don't either. I don't think I'd try it on these roads even if I had tire chains, which I don't (that's the main I-5/I-405 interchange, just before the airport exit).

This is the second Sunday in a row I have skipped church because of the snow and I can't remember the last time I missed two weeks running. If it wasn't 15 years ago when I was really sick with an infected lymph node, it was probably during my freshman year at college, which was a long, long time ago. I just hope I can get there on Christmas Eve, but the forecast says rain & snow showers possible every day and freezing temperatures every night until the 26th. That's not going to get all this snow off the roadways. If anything, rain on top of the snow and then freezing at night will make the roads even slicker.
Closed Thread