Join Early Retirement Today
Closed Thread

Old 12-25-2008, 07:01 AM   #121
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by haha View Post
We got more snow today, then some rain. It is freezing again now. It is very hard to get around on foot or in a car, and many bus routes are still shut down.

The worst was that this afternoon before things started freezing hard everytime you stepped down off the curb to cross a street you couldn't quite tell how deep the pool of freezing water and slush was.

I was planning a small cocktail party but had to cancel because the hills getting here are just too hazardous.

Ha
Yeah, I saw your nasty weather on the news the other night. Do y'all ever have power outages during ice storms? Here in the south, if you can sniff the scent of ice in the air....the power is gone.
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 12-25-2008, 08:50 AM   #122
Give me a forum ...

It's 4°F here right now (10am). But the sun is out, it's not snowing and it's not windy - so it's actually a nice day out despite the temps...

Target AA: 50% equity funds / 45% bonds / 5% cash
Target WR: Approx 1.5% Approx 20% SI (secure income, SS only)
Old 12-25-2008, 09:38 AM   #123
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

I echo Rich in Tampa's comments. Everyone out there have a safe and Merry Christmas. Can't believe I'm reading all these wild theremometer readings while I sit here with the A/C running. I keep it set at 78 degrees and it kicked on a little while ago. It's been hitting 80 the last few days and again today and tomorrow. Darn--have to play golf again tomorrow.

Merry Christmas and Happy New Year to all. Please have a safe holiday.
Old 12-25-2008, 10:17 AM   #124

Quote:
Originally Posted by Midpack View Post
It's 4°F here right now (10am). But the sun is out, it's not snowing and it's not windy - so it's actually a nice day out despite the temps...
Same thing here to the west of ya an hour or so! S'posed to be upper 20's today...40's t'morrow...and maybe 50 on Saturday!!! Yippee Yahoo!!! Winter's over!!! (in my dreams!!!)

Florida's only 7 weeks & 2 days away!!! But who's counting? ME!!!
Old 12-25-2008, 11:07 AM   #125
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Walt34 View Post
Well, I didn't buy the Yamaha, but I did buy a 2008 Suzuki C90T motorcycle, black in color. With the economy supposedly going down the tubes this makes sense, no? I won't actually get it until next week because the dealer has to order some of the extras (driving lights, tachometer, luggage rack, etc.) that I want on it.

At the moment our driveway is covered with ice. I guess my timing could be better.

http://www.suzukicycles.com/Products/C90TK9
That is one hot ride, Walt! Screw the economy, you only live once.... Keep the shiny side up!

...oh and the weather...67 degrees and sunny....
Old 12-25-2008, 08:23 PM   #126
Full time employment: Posting here.

DW just got some pictures from a friend in the San Juan mountains outside Durango Co. They're supposed to get 3 feet of snow tonight.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Durango snow.jpg (158.5 KB, 3 views)
File Type: jpg Durango_Hogan.jpg (131.2 KB, 4 views)
Old 12-25-2008, 08:34 PM   #127
Give me a forum ...

Three feet of snow...think I'll stay in TX and wrassle with the fire ants.....
Old 12-26-2008, 10:42 AM   #128
Give me a forum ...

Here in Michigan we have had snow storm upon snow storm, now we are having freezing rain and tomorrow it is supposed to be in the high 50's and the forecasters are predicting widespread flooding. I wonder what we did to deserve this?
Old 12-26-2008, 10:46 AM   #129
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by travelover View Post
Here in Michigan we have had snow storm upon snow storm, now we are having freezing rain and tomorrow it is supposed to be in the high 50's and the forecasters are predicting widespread flooding. I wonder what we did to deserve this?
Lived in Michigan?

Quote:
Do y'all ever have power outages during ice storms? Here in the south, if you can sniff the scent of ice in the air....the power is gone.
We do have that problem, but it seems less common here in the city than in the suburbs or country. On my street anyway the power company is pretty good about keeping trees well trimmed. Some power outs seem to come from just the weight of ice on the lines, but around here I think more are caused by icy branches coming down onto the lines.
Old 12-26-2008, 11:04 AM   #130
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by haha View Post
Lived in Michigan?........................
Bad as this weather is, at least we have the Lions.
Old 12-26-2008, 11:19 AM   #131
Give me a forum ...

We're actually up to 81ºF now after being stuck in the 30s a few days ago. Windy as all get-out, though -- I guess the south wind from Mexico is keeping it warm, even if not all that fun to sit around in...
"Hey, for every ten dollars, that's another hour that I have to be in the work place. That's an hour of my life. And my life is a very finite thing. I have only 'x' number of hours left before I'm dead. So how do I want to use these hours of my life? Do I want to use them just spending it on more crap and more stuff, or do I want to start getting a handle on it and using my life more intelligently?" -- Joe Dominguez (1938 - 1997)
Old 12-26-2008, 11:30 AM   #132
Give me a forum ...

Yup..wind and 75 here with humidity at 68%...earlier it was 80%.
Old 12-26-2008, 11:33 PM   #133
Give me a forum ...

It is FINALLY beginning to warm up. The thaw has it's own problems. Down-stream a moorage lost several covered slips to the weight of ice, a large yacht began listing from water coming in a 'whats-it' (my non-mariner term for a hole in the hull used by engines) that was broken by freezing - a beautiful luxury boat would have been lost if an all-hands call hadn't resulted in a rapid pump and haul out. They will be blessed if a couple employees don't contract a chest infection. The vessel owner and their insurer should offer the hands a huge bonus... saved them about $1M, not including contamination clean-up costs.

Add that to the fact that the boat yard Norwegian Forest Cat fell through the ice and suffered hypothermia... it was a busy day.
Old 12-27-2008, 12:58 AM   #134
Moderator Emeritus

The midwest is having odd weather. -5 F Christmas morning. Warmed up to 51 Boxing Day evening. Thick fog everywhere, we drove slow. And it was 34 back in Phoenix.
Old 12-27-2008, 08:58 AM   #135
Moderator Emeritus

Thunderstorms in Chicago early this morning, melting snow, flooding, rain sewers blocked up, fog, high of 58 today--our 8 or so inches of snow is disappearing; black ice of yesterday that paralyzed the area is only a memory.... What next?
Old 12-27-2008, 09:05 AM   #136
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bestwifeever View Post
Thunderstorms in Chicago..... melting snow, flooding, rain sewers blocked up, fog, high of 58 today.... What next?
High winds starting later this afternoon and going into tomorrow........
Old 12-27-2008, 09:54 AM   #137
Give me a forum ...

Spare a thought for the poor Hawaians - heard Oahu is without power - Vog shade out all the solar panels? Corrosive ocean spray break line connections?
Old 12-27-2008, 11:58 AM   #138
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by youbet View Post
High winds starting later this afternoon and going into tomorrow........
We just had a spate of hail. Now we are under a tornado watch....
Old 12-27-2008, 02:20 PM   #139

It got up to 61° today...starting to drop some now though. We've had about an inch of rain total, since the wee morning hours. Yesterday morning , there was about 7" of snow/frozen yuck on the ground....this afternoon....NADA, except where it was shoveled or lowed into piles, and they're nearly gone also!

S'posed to drop to upper 20's tonight, low to mid 30's & sunny tomorrow, and then back up into the 40's for a couple of days...with sunshine!

This sure beats the ice, sleet, freezing rain, and double-digit below zero wind-chills of the last couple of weeks!!!
Old 12-27-2008, 02:29 PM   #140

Here in Colorado, 26 degrees, sunny, blue skies and windy. The wind chill makes it feel like 13 degrees!
Closed Thread