Portal Forums Links Register FAQ Community Calendar Log in

Join Early Retirement Today
Closed Thread

Old 01-13-2009, 11:31 AM   #221
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Martha View Post
My hometown was 39 below this morning. Here closer to the lake it was 23 below. The car tends to complain a bit at these temps so I am staying in. Cranked up the gas fireplace in the kitchen, which was down into the 50s this am.
Tell me about global warming again...

Really chilly here last night in mid 60s. Low of 62 tomorrow AM I hear. Brrrrrrr! Had to put on the comforter over the sheet. DW will probably use the hair dryer to warm up BR for our showers.

Anything which can be used can be misused. Anything which can be misused will be.
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-13-2009, 12:21 PM   #222
Gone but not forgotten

Send a message via AIM to Khan
Quote:
My hometown was 39 below this morning. Here closer to the lake it was 23 below. The car tends to complain a bit at these temps so I am staying in. Cranked up the gas fireplace in the kitchen, which was down into the 50s this am.
Supposed to arrive here in a few days, but only about -5F. City salt truck just came through in anticipation of ice/snow.
Old 01-13-2009, 12:30 PM   #223
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Khan View Post
Supposed to arrive here in a few days, but only about -5F. City salt truck just came through in anticipation of ice/snow.
I would like to invite Al Gore up to my neck of the woods, so myself and my kids can throw him into a snowbank head first...........

This Thread is USELESS without pics.........:)
Old 01-13-2009, 12:36 PM   #224
Give me a forum ...

Currently 45 degress in the flat part of TX. The fire ants are chilly....
Old 01-13-2009, 12:39 PM   #225
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quote:
Originally Posted by aaronc879 View Post
Up in Wisconsin, we're expecting at least -30 windchills later this week. It's a mild 1 degree with -16 wind chill right now. We had 4 inches of snow last night which was heavily salted and melted just in time for the temps to drop 20 degrees so the roads can freeze before we get another 3-4 inches of snow tonight into tomorrow morning. Love winter

I'm in Janesville, it's currently 3 degrees right now at 1:33 pm, probably won't get too much above that today. I love getting out in the driveway at 6am clearing the night deposit. The city has a fineable ordinance that says I better keep the sidewalks clear too. This morning was especially fun since the wind was whipping around from all directions and I kept getting a face full of snow no matter which way I tried to blow it. I didn't check the temp early this morning, but I'd guess it was below 0 or so. Yep, I love it! My '98 Ford F-150 with 160k miles is still starting & running like a champ...hopefully she'll keep going awhile longer. I realize it gets alot colder in some places, but this is about as much as I'd want to deal with.
Old 01-13-2009, 12:41 PM   #226
Moderator Emeritus

I'm focusing on the sunshine today and not the forecast for later this week in Chicago--the sky is blue and cloudless right now, my southern-exposure office is toasty with all the blinds wide open, and it's the same sun that's shining on the Caribbean, right?
Old 01-13-2009, 02:07 PM   #227
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Khan View Post
I was wondering if they still had that uniform (a relative is a retired Navy Officer).
Navy's going through a huge uniform upheaval. They're getting rid of khakis & dungarees in favor of something that looks like USMC shirts/black trou and blue cammies. Spouse said that's the real reason she retired.

On sea duty I wore blue coveralls or the grungiest khakis I could find at the thrift store. Kinda hard to get excited about a new uniform, but "Task Force Uniform" swears that it's a hit...

Quote:
Originally Posted by freebird5825 View Post
A helpful suggestion - there is a spray window de-icer that you can get in automotive stores to melt ice quickly vs wrecking your hands and upper body. It does not hurt the car finish.
Does that "de-icer spray" consist of brine with rubbing alcohol?

When I was last living in winter (years ago) I'd apply a unique home-grown all-organic liquid door-lock de-icer, but it was usually warmed to about 98 degrees before use. Not sure I'd be able to store enough at that temperature to handle six windows and a couple side-view mirrors...

Co-author (with my daughter) of “Raising Your Money-Savvy Family For Next Generation Financial Independence.”
Author of the book written on E-R.org: "The Military Guide to Financial Independence and Retirement."

I don't spend much time here— please send a PM.
Old 01-13-2009, 02:21 PM   #228
Moderator Emeritus

Not only is it very cold today, it is windy. Two of our local ski hills have closed today and for tomorrow because of the cold. I went for a walk around the block after riding my exercise bike. I put on my parka with fur ruffed hood. Still had a bit of trouble breathing in the cold air.

No more lawyer stuff, no more political stuff, so no more CYA

Old 01-13-2009, 02:57 PM   #229
Moderator Emeritus

69 degrees here. I'm baking a cold/flu out on the roof in the sunshine. Rough. They're planning full sun through Sunday, temps. continuing in the low to mid 60s. Shorts and a tanktop required.

For this area, this is called "the January thaw" as it usually rains for months along with bone chilling dampness, and cold temps. that require wool coats and earmuffs; where did I leave that umbrella.
Old 01-13-2009, 03:47 PM   #230
Gone but not forgotten

Send a message via AIM to Khan
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nords View Post
Navy's going through a huge uniform upheaval. They're getting rid of khakis & dungarees in favor of something that looks like USMC shirts/black trou and blue cammies. Spouse said that's the real reason she retired.

On sea duty I wore blue coveralls or the grungiest khakis I could find at the thrift store. Kinda hard to get excited about a new uniform, but "Task Force Uniform" swears that it's a hit...

Does that "de-icer spray" consist of brine with rubbing alcohol?

When I was last living in winter (years ago) I'd apply a unique home-grown all-organic liquid door-lock de-icer, but it was usually warmed to about 98 degrees before use. Not sure I'd be able to store enough at that temperature to handle six windows and a couple side-view mirrors...
Crude but effective.
Old 01-13-2009, 03:53 PM   #231
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Up in Wisconsin, we're expecting at least -30 windchills later this week. It's a mild 1 degree with -16 wind chill right now. We had 4 inches of snow last night which was heavily salted and melted just in time for the temps to drop 20 degrees so the roads can freeze before we get another 3-4 inches of snow tonight into tomorrow morning. Love winter
Now I understand why the BIL is flying down from Milwaukee to Phoenix for the Barrett Jackson auto show.
Old 01-13-2009, 04:53 PM   #232
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
I would think the "container" would get too cold when exposed to the cold weather that caused the ice and that wouldn't be worth it.
Old 01-13-2009, 04:56 PM   #233
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
I would think the "container" would get too cold when exposed to the cold weather that caused the ice and that wouldn't be worth it.
Duh!
I thought he was talking about spit.
My education continues...
Old 01-13-2009, 04:58 PM   #234
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
I think I would have a little trouble with the application, personally....
Old 01-13-2009, 05:39 PM   #235
Recycles dryer sheets

Boy I feel sorry for you americans this time of the year...

GTG, going to the beach in this ugly town where I live:

Old 01-13-2009, 05:43 PM   #236
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leonardo View Post
Boy I feel sorry for you americans this time of the year...

GTG, going to the beach in this ugly town where I live:

and is that is your yacht, perchance ?
Old 01-13-2009, 06:12 PM   #237
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by freebird5825 View Post

and is that is your yacht, perchance ?
"If it flies, floats or ****s, you are better off renting it."

Old 01-15-2009, 08:53 AM   #238
Moderator Emeritus

Another horrifyingly cold day here with the wind chills below 50 below and the early am temps in the hinterlands in the 40s below. But the world is now full of wussies. They closed the schools. Never did they close schools for the cold when I was a kid!

I need to go to the store. Please oh please let the wind die down!

No more lawyer stuff, no more political stuff, so no more CYA

Old 01-15-2009, 09:07 AM   #239
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
33 here with 22 wind chill factor. Might as well be 23 below, can't play golf.
Old 01-15-2009, 09:11 AM   #240
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Another horrifyingly cold day here with the wind chills below 50 below and the early am temps in the hinterlands in the 40s below. But the world is now full of wussies. They closed the schools. Never did they close schools for the cold when I was a kid!

I need to go to the store. Please oh please let the wind die down!
You're allowed to be a wussie too, and stay home and make do instead of going to the store. In fact, I urge you to do so. The cold weather and wind in your area sounds brutal, and dangerous!

Happily retired since 2009, at age 61. Best years of my life by far!
Closed Thread