Join Early Retirement Today
Closed Thread

Old 08-10-2009, 05:22 PM   #681
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Want2retire View Post

7) close the blinds or drapes so that the sun doesn't come inside.

But wouldn't that deprive the neighbors a glimpse of the skimpy clothes or even less? nm, I'll save that scary idea for Halloween.
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-10-2009, 06:07 PM   #682
Moderator Emeritus

This week is cooling down, not a day above 110. Someone from NC IMed me to tell me it was hotter there than Phoenix (there was a 3 hour difference).
Old 08-11-2009, 06:47 AM   #683
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by CuppaJoe View Post
But wouldn't that deprive the neighbors a glimpse of the skimpy clothes or even less? nm, I'll save that scary idea for Halloween.
Here's an idea...
Groovy Chick Adult Costume - Costumes
Old 08-11-2009, 08:38 AM   #684
Give me a forum ...

Hey, Freebird, I bet you're having a lot of rain. My sister lives in West Valley, NY (42N Latitude), and her house was flooded, as in a few feet of water flowing through the house. She ended up with 1.5 inches of mud everywhere. The next day, over 30 volunteers from around the town came by and worked on cleanup. Quite a community.

No flood insurance because it's in a flood area. Last flood was 1975.
Old 08-11-2009, 08:39 AM   #685
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by TromboneAl View Post
Hey, Freebird, I bet you're having a lot of rain.
What is this thing called "rain" of which you speak?
"Hey, for every ten dollars, that's another hour that I have to be in the work place. That's an hour of my life. And my life is a very finite thing. I have only 'x' number of hours left before I'm dead. So how do I want to use these hours of my life? Do I want to use them just spending it on more crap and more stuff, or do I want to start getting a handle on it and using my life more intelligently?" -- Joe Dominguez (1938 - 1997)
Old 08-11-2009, 08:42 AM   #686
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by ziggy29 View Post
What is this thing called "rain" of which you speak?
We have had rainfall almost every day and/or night this week, with lots of thunder and lightning. Kind of fun! No more 100+ temperatures, either. Hot, humid, but the rain does help and this is the kind of summer weather in Louisiana that I really enjoy the most. Now, if we can just get through the next few weeks (the height of the hurricane season) without being in the path of a major hurricane....

Happily retired since 2009, at age 61. Best years of my life by far!
Old 08-11-2009, 08:44 AM   #687
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Want2retire View Post
We have had rainfall almost every day and/or night this week, with lots of thunder and lightning. Kind of fun! No more 100+ temperatures, either. This is the kind of summer weather that I really enjoy. Now, if we can just get through the next 7 weeks or so without being in the path of a major hurricane....
"Hey, for every ten dollars, that's another hour that I have to be in the work place. That's an hour of my life. And my life is a very finite thing. I have only 'x' number of hours left before I'm dead. So how do I want to use these hours of my life? Do I want to use them just spending it on more crap and more stuff, or do I want to start getting a handle on it and using my life more intelligently?" -- Joe Dominguez (1938 - 1997)
Old 08-11-2009, 09:02 AM   #688
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso) Give me a forum ...

One amazing (to me) thing about that map is how sharp the dividing line is between "exceptional drought" and "normal" in central TX. On Monday we drove across this line and it is sharply visible - top a hill and it is green ahead of you and parched brown behind you.
Old 08-11-2009, 09:04 AM   #689
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by REWahoo View Post
One amazing (to me) thing about that map is how sharp the dividing line is between "exceptional drought" and "normal" in central TX. On Monday we drove across this line and it is sharply visible - top a hill and it is green ahead of you and parched brown behind you.
Yes -- we noticed that driving home from NM. It was green for much of the trip, then suddenly, a few miles west of us, *wham* -- instantly brown and dead everywhere.

We actually live right near where a transition abruptly takes place between "moderate" drought and "exceptional" drought over a distance of about 30 miles -- the line runs right through the middle of our county. Time after time we see storms coming at us from the north and west than suddenly stop moving toward us right as it hits the county line, and they veer back to the north (or stop moving south). It's almost as if we had a giant brick wall in my county that stops it all from coming to points east and south. Just a few miles to the west and the north and it's fairly lush, and a few miles to the south and it's all dead.
Old 08-11-2009, 09:07 AM   #690
Moderator Emeritus

I loved that magnificent photo of the rain that you took from the house you stayed in, in Ruidoso. Hope you get some at home, soon.

Old 08-11-2009, 09:59 AM   #691
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by TromboneAl View Post
Hey, Freebird, I bet you're having a lot of rain. My sister lives in West Valley, NY (42N Latitude), and her house was flooded, as in a few feet of water flowing through the house. She ended up with 1.5 inches of mud everywhere. The next day, over 30 volunteers from around the town came by and worked on cleanup. Quite a community.

No flood insurance because it's in a flood area. Last flood was 1975.
Yes indeed...too much. My area is thankfully not so badly affected as points south and west and east. I'm at a slightly higher elevation than the valleys. There was even a tornado warning down by the Cortland area. I have friends there and they are OK.
Sorry to hear about your sis. I've been watching the local news online and many communities are in very bad shape. Our "rivers" are small, but when they flood, look out.

National Weather Service Doppler Radar estimated between three and six inches of rainfall fell on Sunday in some areas from Wayne County through Cayuga Co, into Onondaga and Cortland Counties.
My addition: This was followed by some very serious storms, same area, on Monday.
Old 08-11-2009, 10:12 AM   #692
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quote:
Time after time we see storms coming at us from the north and west than suddenly stop moving toward us right as it hits the county line, and they veer back to the north (or stop moving south). It's almost as if we had a giant brick wall in my county that stops it all from coming to points east and south.
Didn't you used to warn everyone about all the fire ants, scorpions, snakes, etc??
Perhaps the storms finally got 'wind' of that and avoid your house?
Old 08-11-2009, 04:41 PM   #693
Give me a forum ...

Toronto had a spectacular light show on Sunday night.

GTA power being restored after storm

When that happens elsewhere in Canada it's less likely to hit the news!
Old 08-14-2009, 02:24 PM   #694
Give me a forum ...

June and July were almost identical. And keep in mind that the forecast highs have almost always been 5 degrees too low. The high today (so far) is 101, but it's still early:

Old 08-14-2009, 02:32 PM   #695
Moderator Emeritus

I hate the way they do that, Ziggy. Here, like at your location, the forecast is much lower than the observed in the summer.

What really frosts me (I wish) is that the observed is out at the airport and is a good 5-10 degrees cooler than measurements in town on the hottest days of the summer. They must have the thermometer in the shade near air conditioning. Or, more likely it is hotter in town because of all the concrete and buildings. Whatever, but I don't think the temperature at the airport is realistic on the very hottest days. It seems to sort of "top out".

I often wonder if that thermometer placement might have been influenced by the fact that New Orleans depends so heavily on tourism.

Just got back from the grocery store, and it is HOT out there. Luckily, it looks like rain and in fact, rain often breaks our heat. I really like summer rains and hopefully you and REWahoo will have some too (hopefully before the end of the summer!).

Old 08-14-2009, 03:26 PM   #696
Gone but not forgotten

I am spending the week in western New York and the weather is perfect summer weather . It is warm but not scorching hot .
Old 08-14-2009, 05:09 PM   #697
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moemg View Post
I am spending the week in western New York and the weather is perfect summer weather . It is warm but not scorching hot .
Get your sunscreen and straw hat out, Moe.

Sunny and high 80s and 90s coming this weekend to NY state. WoooooooHOOOOOOOOOOOOOO.
Old 08-14-2009, 06:45 PM   #698
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by freebird5825 View Post
Sunny and high 80s and 90s coming this weekend to NY state. WoooooooHOOOOOOOOOOOOOO.
Luxury.
Old 08-14-2009, 07:03 PM   #699
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Luxury.
I know, sorry 'bout dat.
However, recall my photos of snow piles, depth of which would be up to my armpits.
Old 08-15-2009, 05:11 AM   #700
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

In my neck of the woods June was very hot. Temperatures were over 100 for about two weeks. It cooled in July to the normal temperature and August so far as been much cooler than normal only getting into the 90's instead of over 100. So with the exception of June it has been cooler this year than last.