This weather is awful!! 2008-2021

Status
Not open for further replies.
Bastadges....:rant: But, when it's over 95, I feel like I'm wilting so it doesn't matter how much higher it goes.

I hate it when it's 90 at 10 p.m. :p

We’re having a heat wave here and I’ve forgotten the survival techniques. Walked on the sunny side of the street this morning at 10 a.m., was dripping wet in a couple of blocks. What are the rules again?:

1) walk on the shady side;

2) like Marilyn Monroe in “Seven Year Itch” store underwear in the freezer;

3) run cold water over wrists;

4) run the fans;

5) go shopping in air conditioned stores or go see a movie;

6)

7)

We’re having a heat wave here and I’ve forgotten the survival techniques. Walked on the sunny side of the street this morning at 10 a.m., was dripping wet in a couple of blocks. What are the rules again?:

1) walk on the shady side;

2) like Marilyn Monroe in “Seven Year Itch” store underwear in the freezer;

3) run cold water over wrists;

4) run the fans;

5) go shopping in air conditioned stores or go see a movie;

6)

7)

How about these?

1) dress for the weather - - as skimpily as you can get away with

2) don't do anything more strenuous than operating the TV remote

3) drink lots of ice water, don't eat hot food

4) frequent brief lukewarm to cold showers, to cool off

5) an electric fan if you have one (I love my ceiling fan!)

6) during mid-day, go to a mall or library with A/C

That should help, I hope!

W2R, I could have used #1 (skimpy clothes) this morning. Blue jeans are not the "go everywhere" uniform I thought they were. I did work though, defrosted the ice box, the quickest it's ever melted.

W2R, I could have used #1 (skimpy clothes) this morning. Blue jeans are not the "go everywhere" uniform I thought they were. I did work though, defrosted the ice box, the quickest it's ever melted.

I'll bet it did! I wear cotton "short shorts" and a loose cotton knit shirt in the summer (except at work, obviously). Or, at home alone even less. Defrosting the refrigerator sounds like a great kind of work to be doing in the heat. :D

I forgot to mention

7) close the blinds or drapes so that the sun doesn't come inside.

If it is just a little hot, you might want a door or window half open for the breeze - - but in the kind of heat we are having right now, that wouldn't be pleasant.

This week is cooling down, not a day above 110. Someone from NC IMed me to tell me it was hotter there than Phoenix (there was a 3 hour difference).

Hey, Freebird, I bet you're having a lot of rain. My sister lives in West Valley, NY (42N Latitude), and her house was flooded, as in a few feet of water flowing through the house. She ended up with 1.5 inches of mud everywhere. The next day, over 30 volunteers from around the town came by and worked on cleanup. Quite a community.

No flood insurance because it's in a flood area. Last flood was 1975.

What is this thing called "rain" of which you speak?

We have had rainfall almost every day and/or night this week, with lots of thunder and lightning. Kind of fun! No more 100+ temperatures, either. Hot, humid, but the rain does help and this is the kind of summer weather in Louisiana that I really enjoy the most. Now, if we can just get through the next few weeks (the height of the hurricane season) without being in the path of a major hurricane.... :whistle:

Last edited:
We have had rainfall almost every day and/or night this week, with lots of thunder and lightning. Kind of fun! No more 100+ temperatures, either. This is the kind of summer weather that I really enjoy. Now, if we can just get through the next 7 weeks or so without being in the path of a major hurricane.... :whistle:

tx_dm.png

One amazing (to me) thing about that map is how sharp the dividing line is between "exceptional drought" and "normal" in central TX. On Monday we drove across this line and it is sharply visible - top a hill and it is green ahead of you and parched brown behind you.

One amazing (to me) thing about that map is how sharp the dividing line is between "exceptional drought" and "normal" in central TX. On Monday we drove across this line and it is sharply visible - top a hill and it is green ahead of you and parched brown behind you.
Yes -- we noticed that driving home from NM. It was green for much of the trip, then suddenly, a few miles west of us, *wham* -- instantly brown and dead everywhere.

We actually live right near where a transition abruptly takes place between "moderate" drought and "exceptional" drought over a distance of about 30 miles -- the line runs right through the middle of our county. Time after time we see storms coming at us from the north and west than suddenly stop moving toward us right as it hits the county line, and they veer back to the north (or stop moving south). It's almost as if we had a giant brick wall in my county that stops it all from coming to points east and south. Just a few miles to the west and the north and it's fairly lush, and a few miles to the south and it's all dead.

Last edited:
I loved that magnificent photo of the rain that you took from the house you stayed in, in Ruidoso. Hope you get some at home, soon.

Hey, Freebird, I bet you're having a lot of rain. My sister lives in West Valley, NY (42N Latitude), and her house was flooded, as in a few feet of water flowing through the house. She ended up with 1.5 inches of mud everywhere. The next day, over 30 volunteers from around the town came by and worked on cleanup. Quite a community.

No flood insurance because it's in a flood area. Last flood was 1975.
Yes indeed...too much. My area is thankfully not so badly affected as points south and west and east. I'm at a slightly higher elevation than the valleys. There was even a tornado warning down by the Cortland area. I have friends there and they are OK.
Sorry to hear about your sis. I've been watching the local news online and many communities are in very bad shape. Our "rivers" are small, but when they flood, look out. :nonono:

National Weather Service Doppler Radar estimated between three and six inches of rainfall fell on Sunday in some areas from Wayne County through Cayuga Co, into Onondaga and Cortland Counties.
My addition: This was followed by some very serious storms, same area, on Monday.

Time after time we see storms coming at us from the north and west than suddenly stop moving toward us right as it hits the county line, and they veer back to the north (or stop moving south). It's almost as if we had a giant brick wall in my county that stops it all from coming to points east and south.

Didn't you used to warn everyone about all the fire ants, scorpions, snakes, etc??
Perhaps the storms finally got 'wind' of that and avoid your house?;)

June and July were almost identical. And keep in mind that the forecast highs have almost always been 5 degrees too low. The high today (so far) is 101, but it's still early:

InHell.jpg

I hate the way they do that, Ziggy. Here, like at your location, the forecast is much lower than the observed in the summer.

What really frosts me (I wish) is that the observed is out at the airport and is a good 5-10 degrees cooler than measurements in town on the hottest days of the summer. They must have the thermometer in the shade near air conditioning. :rolleyes: Or, more likely it is hotter in town because of all the concrete and buildings. Whatever, but I don't think the temperature at the airport is realistic on the very hottest days. It seems to sort of "top out".

I often wonder if that thermometer placement might have been influenced by the fact that New Orleans depends so heavily on tourism.

Just got back from the grocery store, and it is HOT out there. Luckily, it looks like rain and in fact, rain often breaks our heat. I really like summer rains and hopefully you and REWahoo will have some too (hopefully before the end of the summer!).

Last edited:
I am spending the week in western New York and the weather is perfect summer weather . It is warm but not scorching hot .

In my neck of the woods June was very hot. Temperatures were over 100 for about two weeks. It cooled in July to the normal temperature and August so far as been much cooler than normal only getting into the 90's instead of over 100. So with the exception of June it has been cooler this year than last.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom