This weather is awful!! 2008-2021

Status
Not open for further replies.
Snow in Houston!

Frank Tracks Snow - Video - KPRC Houston

It's the earliest snowfall ever recorded since they set up a weather station in the 1890's. It's supposed to continue all afternoon.

Most years, of course, we get none.

Snow hits Houston! | abc13.com

ktrk_120409_snow1.jpg

Htown Harry, that is amazing!! WOW. I used to live in College Station, but seldom experienced that kind of snow and never this early.

Believe it or not, they are predicting snow, sleet, and/or freezing rain tonight in New Orleans. Although bridges will be icy, snow isn't supposed to stick here in the city, south of Lake Ponchartrain, because temperatures are predicted to be in the mid 30's. It is predicted to accumulate to 1-2" in the north shore suburbs like Slidell.

The photo below is from the December 11th, 2008 snowfall in New Orleans (not this year). But it's pretty and snowfall here is quite rare, so I attached it.

Attachments

• streetcarsnowbig121108.jpg
    streetcarsnowbig121108.jpg
    113.7 KB · Views: 1
Global Warming!! AAAAAHHHHHH!!! Er ah global climate change, in case there is cooling or uneven changes in patterns and temps.

I just heard that snow flurries are probable in my suburb, though they will not stick.

Louisiana just activated its Emergency Action Team. :ROFLMAO: No, seriously! :D People here don't know how to drive in the stuff and worse, they don't know that they don't know.

W2R - Have the NOLA newscasters used the phrase "hunker down" yet? I just about fell out of my chair this morning when I heard that one.:rolleyes::LOL:

W2R - Have the NOLA newscasters used the phrase "hunker down" yet? I just about fell out of my chair this morning when I heard that one.:rolleyes::LOL:

YES!!! :2funny: :LOL::ROFLMAO: I was ROFL. "Crews on Standby" in huge red letters in front of me on the evening news right now as I type...

I just heard that snow flurries are probable in my suburb, though they will not stick.

Louisiana just activated its Emergency Action Team. :ROFLMAO: No, seriously! :D People here don't know how to drive in the stuff and worse, they don't know that they don't know.

:2funny::2funny::2funny::2funny::2funny:

People here don't know how to drive in the stuff and worse, they don't know that they don't know.
Here, people don't know how to drive in the rain and ditto.;)

When it snows in New Orleans, it’s time to winterize. This morning I moved my home office away from the window to be nearer the heater. Got it set up so I can just reach up to turn the thermostat on and off to take the chill off. Rainstorm expected on Sunday, time to batten down, but I do enjoy watching the trees whip around in the wind.

If the flurries won't stick then the roads will just be wet...so what exactly does the Emergency Action Team do in this situation? :confused:

If the flurries won't stick then the roads will just be wet...so what exactly does the Emergency Action Team do in this situation? :confused:

It will stick in other parts of the state. Further north they are expecting 1/2" to as much as 2". And, down here, bridges will ice over, and things could get a little slippery - - we expect winds gusting to 40 mph. Still, if you look at my original post you will see that my point was that this was humorous.

It will stick in other parts of the state. Further north they are expecting 1/2" to as much as 2".
I realize I deleted part of your post so I'm quoting you out of context but what's the big deal? 2" of snow? Look here, just another day.

I realize I deleted part of your post so I'm quoting you out of context but what's the big deal? 2" of snow? Look here, just another day.

Sorry if I was unclear. See those little emoticons in my post? This one :ROFLMAO: means "Rolling on the Floor Laughing" (ROFL). The reason I even bothered to post about it was that I thought it was funny. I guess it wasn't obvious to everyone. But :2funny: Meadbh "got it", so I guess she and I are on the same wavelength. :)

Last edited:
Meadbh "got it", so I guess she and I are on the same wavelength. :)

Why me, too, Miz W2R!

If'n I didn't know betta, I might be believin they some noathenahs a-making fun uh us folks dow-un he-ah below 35 degreez noath lattude.

I thank yew shuud just go on ow-ut in thu frunt ya-ud tamara mow-nin hay-uv some fun a-playin' in that snow...whilst thankin' 'bout how cold and sad them noathenahs will be next jan-u-wary when we r-uh hay-uv high temturs around seventee - or seventee-fiyuv - degrees.
:D;)

Why me, too, Miz W2R!

If'n I didn't know betta, I might be believin they some noathenahs a-making fun uh us folks dow-un he-ah below 35 degreez noath lattude.

I thank yew shuud just go on ow-ut in thu frunt ya-ud tamara mow-nin hay-uv some fun a-playin' in that snow...whilst thankin' 'bout how cold and sad them noathenahs will be next jan-u-wary when we r-uh hay-uv high temturs around seventee - or seventee-fiyuv - degrees.
:D;)

I"m so disappointed! It didn't snow in my neighborhood. I went outside to check and it was nothing but icy cold rain. It snowed on the north shore of Lake Ponchartrain, though. I saw footage of it. :)

Oh well!

...what's the big deal? 2" of snow? Look here, just another day.
A lifetime ago in the Midwest southeast of Montana, I remember that so well; my boss would let me off early to shovel my car out; it looked just like that but not this early in the season.

I had my first half inch of snow up here at 43 N 80 W. Buffalo and areas north and south of me got much more. Cool -6C 22F.

Sorry if I was unclear. See those little emoticons in my post? This one :ROFLMAO: means "Rolling on the Floor Laughing" (ROFL). The reason I even bothered to post about it was that I thought it was funny. I guess it wasn't obvious to everyone. But :2funny: Meadbh "got it", so I guess she and I are on the same wavelength. :)

Why thank you Miz W2R!
And just so you don't feel too bad in NOLA, we sometimes do floods too...
Winnipeg.ca (UD) :: History :: Flood of the Century
1997 Red River Flood - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

We got a little bit last night but not enough to completely cover the yard. Amazing to get some this early. Come to think of it, amazing to get any period.:blink:

I got an e-mail from a friend in Iron River Michigan. (Far north, lots of snow.)

98% OF PEOPLE SAY 'OH ****' BEFORE
GOING IN THE DITCH ON A SLIPPERY ROAD.

THE OTHER 2% ARE FROM IRON RIVER,MI, AND THEY SAY,

'HOLD MY BEER AND WATCH THIS.'
t.r.

Living in central NY, we get a lot of snow...especially since we're in line for a lot of lake effect off Erie/Ontario. I'm always amazed that other areas of the country are so terrified of snow when, to my mind, snow sits at the bottom of the list of potential distasters. Sure, if you don't have plows and sanders, the snow can be an inconvenience for a day or so, but hurricanes, tornadoes, and earthquakes cause far greater damage and loss of life. (And hey, if you wait and do nothing, the snow always goes away all by itself - eventually.)

Our winters can be a PITA, but hurricanes are always just wind/rain events by the time they get here, tornadoes are rare and small because of the terrain, and although tremors do happen we're not nearly as vulnerable as, say, the west coast. We're also fairly immune to fires as we average 40+ inches of precip annually. So I've always thought of CNY as a pretty safe area of the country.

OTOH, New York's dysfunctional State government and taxes are a whole 'nother topic...:mad:

I love snow and I really miss it around Christmas. I would not mind having snow without the bitter cold that goes with it .

Most Californians are the same so they put chain requirements in place if there is even a hint of snow in the Sierras. (This is a good thing because an accident on the routes to Tahoe on a ski season weekend is a traffic disaster.)

One Christmas me, DW and BIL were heading home on I80 and it was snowing and they had chain requirements in place but there was little or no snow on the road. When we got to the road block where they were checking to make sure that everyone had their chains on we pulled up to the officer and asked, "Do we REALLY need to put chains on?" He looked at our license plate and said, "Idaho, huh! Go on through!"

It's currently -5F (-20C) here, with about 4 inches of snow on the ground. It's a lovely day to be retired, stay inside and keep the fire stoked. :)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom