Portal Forums Links Register FAQ Community Calendar Log in

Join Early Retirement Today
Closed Thread

Old 02-11-2010, 03:58 PM   #1201
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Walt34 View Post
I did put some water in there for him but sadly, he was DOA this morning. Most likely from exhaustion, it was pretty nasty outside and I figured he'd be better off left in the garage overnight and then released in the morning.

At least I tried.
Yes, you did.
I've had small birds get into my screened porch before we installed a locking door. The previous door would swing open in high winds and get stuck open.
I didn't even notice them until...um...well you know.
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-11-2010, 04:23 PM   #1202
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

You guys up north are getting record snowfall, I think we have to be having record rainfall here. It just won't stop, day after day after day...I feel like Forrest Gump.
Quote:
“It was as if they turned on a faucet. One day it started raining, and it didn’t quit for four months. We been through every kind of rain there is. Little bitty stingin’ rain… and big ol’ fat rain. Rain that flew in sideways. And sometimes rain even seemed to come straight up from underneath.”
Old 02-11-2010, 05:14 PM   #1203
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leonidas View Post
You guys up north are getting record snowfall, I think we have to be having record rainfall here. It just won't stop, day after day after day...I feel like Forrest Gump.
Next time El Nino comes, plan on spending the winter in South America.
"Hey, for every ten dollars, that's another hour that I have to be in the work place. That's an hour of my life. And my life is a very finite thing. I have only 'x' number of hours left before I'm dead. So how do I want to use these hours of my life? Do I want to use them just spending it on more crap and more stuff, or do I want to start getting a handle on it and using my life more intelligently?" -- Joe Dominguez (1938 - 1997)
Old 02-11-2010, 06:08 PM   #1204
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by bbbamI View Post
It's been snowing for a while now. We're supposed to get 5 inches...that's ok, I don't have to go anywhere.....
I wish you would keep it, but looks like it is headed our way. Suppose to get some during the night and through noon tomorrow. But that's ok, I've stocked up.
Old 02-11-2010, 06:08 PM   #1205
Give me a forum ...

Oh Purron, I love that movie! If I've seen it once, I've seen it 25 times.

One of my kitties thought she wanted to go out in the backyard this afternoon. I opened the door, she walked out, a snowflake drifted on her head and she .

She's 18 years old...it took a lot of energy for her to fuzz up!
Old 02-11-2010, 06:37 PM   #1206

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dawg52 View Post
I wish you would keep it, but looks like it is headed our way. Suppose to get some during the night and through noon tomorrow. But that's ok, I've stocked up.
Me too!

(55, married; Mr. Simple Girl, 59. FIRED 12/31/19!)
Old 02-11-2010, 07:18 PM   #1207
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Walt34 View Post
I did put some water in there for him but sadly, he was DOA this morning. Most likely from exhaustion, it was pretty nasty outside and I figured he'd be better off left in the garage overnight and then released in the morning.

At least I tried.
Poor little bird. You have a kind heart.
Old 02-11-2010, 07:23 PM   #1208
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Yes it is nuts.

I've finally given up on trying to dress for the weather. I just wear layers now....I feel like a banana.
Or an onion?
Don't forget your boots, now!
Old 02-11-2010, 07:25 PM   #1209
Give me a forum ...

I am in balmy British Columbia this week and am ROLFLMAO at all you USians' adventures with real winter!
Old 02-11-2010, 07:32 PM   #1210
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Meadbh View Post
I am in balmy British Columbia this week and am ROLFLMAO at all you USians' adventures with real winter!
Well, our best friends are in Panama right now. You can't imagine the grief we're gettin' from them
Old 02-11-2010, 07:40 PM   #1211
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Or an onion?
Don't forget your boots, now!
Yes...an onion is more like it! As far as mah boots go, they're for the indoor activities....

Just took a pic of my backyard and even though it's late, everything is rather bright outside. The pic is kind of fuzzy since I didn't use the flash.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg DSC01304.jpg (412.0 KB, 1 views)
Old 02-11-2010, 08:49 PM   #1212
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Ah so Nords and I aren't the only ones guilty of schadenfreude. I'm guessing complaining that water is a little cold for swimming or surfing isn't going to garner much sympathy.
Old 02-11-2010, 11:29 PM   #1213
Give me a forum ...

Sleet and snow have been reported south of Lake Ponchartrain in New Orleans tonight! More wintry mix expected tonight and maybe more snow tomorrow, an unusual event here.

The last time it snowed significantly I was STUCK INSIDE AT WORK without my camera and didn't get any photos at all. Tomorrow if it snows during the day and sticks, I'll be able to get photos.

Happily retired since 2009, at age 61. Best years of my life by far!
Old 02-12-2010, 06:48 AM   #1214
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Yes...an onion is more like it! As far as mah boots go, they're for the indoor activities....

Just took a pic of my backyard and even though it's late, everything is rather bright outside. The pic is kind of fuzzy since I didn't use the flash.
Heard on the news that you guys had 12", pretty amazing. It's coming down here. Here is an early morning pic. I'll take another when it has done what's it's going to do.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg snow.jpg (839.4 KB, 2 views)
Old 02-12-2010, 06:58 AM   #1215
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

We have set a record in the Metroplex. Pretty stuff, as long as it's gone today. What annoys me is Direct TV HD is gone. I guess I must climb on the roof and brush the snow out of the dish, but it's a tad icy up there this morning. Oh well, the laptop connection is still working.

Road hazards anticipated following record snows in Dallas-Fort Worth | Top Stories | New...

quote:
North Texans are waking up to an extraordinary winter landscape, having gained a record-breaking 11 inches of snow Thursday, (another 1.5 inches fell after midnight) but hazards lurk beneath the ivory crust.
unquote

Disclaimer: My Posts are for my amusement only.
Old 02-12-2010, 07:07 AM   #1216
Recycles dryer sheets

Geesh, it's a mess here too. Ellis county. Limbs are down all around my house. Trees and shrubs aren't used to having this kind of weight. Time to break out the saws and go to work.
Old 02-12-2010, 07:19 AM   #1217
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dawg52 View Post
Heard on the news that you guys had 12", pretty amazing. It's coming down here. Here is an early morning pic. I'll take another when it has done what's it's going to do.

Looks like you may not have as much as we have now 50 miles south of you. Still snowing, but most people have made their way to work with no problem.
Wife is slightly PO'd because I did not take the opportunity to stay home.
Not to worry in the future, though, as I will be outta heah at the end of March.
Old 02-12-2010, 07:42 AM   #1218
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by W2R View Post
Sleet and snow have been reported south of Lake Ponchartrain in New Orleans tonight! More wintry mix expected tonight and maybe more snow tomorrow, an unusual event here.

The last time it snowed significantly I was STUCK INSIDE AT WORK without my camera and didn't get any photos at all. Tomorrow if it snows during the day and sticks, I'll be able to get photos.
This morning: Nothing. Ice cold rain in New Orleans, 39 degrees....

Watching the TV coverage of snow coming down in Amite, Louisiana.

Happily retired since 2009, at age 61. Best years of my life by far!
Old 02-12-2010, 09:54 AM   #1219
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by clifp View Post
Ah so Nords and I aren't the only ones guilty of schadenfreude. I'm guessing complaining that water is a little cold for swimming or surfing isn't going to garner much sympathy.
Dude.

Why, gosh, yesterday I was surfing in 74-degree water and it was raining and after just 90 minutes my hands were numb. I was shivering so hard that the beach shower felt warm, and it took the entire drive home without air conditioning* for me to warm up!

*I've never turned on the heat in this car and wasn't sure how to do it, let alone whether it would operate safely...

Co-author (with my daughter) of “Raising Your Money-Savvy Family For Next Generation Financial Independence.”
Author of the book written on E-R.org: "The Military Guide to Financial Independence and Retirement."

I don't spend much time here— please send a PM.
Old 02-12-2010, 10:18 AM   #1220
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nords View Post
Dude.

Why, gosh, yesterday I was surfing in 74-degree water and it was raining and after just 90 minutes my hands were numb. I was shivering so hard that the beach shower felt warm, and it took the entire drive home without air conditioning* for me to warm up!

*I've never turned on the heat in this car and wasn't sure how to do it, let alone whether it would operate safely...
Oh Nords! I can't get mad at you though. I'll never forget the helpful tips you gave me when DH broke is arm this past summer. We still have a big bottle of the aloe with the lidocane you recommended. That stuff saved him from going insane.

BTW, his arm is doing great now. He had no problem shoveling the 5 foot drifts.