Portal Forums Links Register FAQ Community Calendar Log in

Join Early Retirement Today
Closed Thread

Old 05-16-2010, 07:53 AM   #1461
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso) Give me a forum ...

Looks like your storm will blow through pretty quickly.

Only a couple of weeks ago the NWS was reporting how unusually calm the Spring weather had been in the US...
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-16-2010, 07:58 AM   #1462
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by REWahoo View Post
Looks like your storm will blow through pretty quickly.
Good - - I hope you are right. Flooding is OK (here) if it isn't too deep, because we are used to it, but if this continues for too much longer it might start getting into houses. Our drainage system can only remove rainwater at the rate of an inch an hour if that once the canals fill up.

Quote:
Originally Posted by REWahoo
Only a couple of weeks ago the NWS was reporting how unusually calm the Spring weather had been in the US...
Spring weather must be arriving late. It seems to me that this has been a really odd year for weather. I hope that doesn't extend to hurricane season. 2004-2005 were bad enough for a while.

Edited at 9:01 to add: We now have a tornado warning (not watch) and flash flood warning in New Orleans.

Happily retired since 2009, at age 61. Best years of my life by far!
Old 05-16-2010, 08:01 AM   #1463
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Torrential downpours first thing this morning in Pensacola (with occassional thunder)...since it is FL, odds are good it will clear up a bit sometime today. I miss NJ!
Old 05-16-2010, 08:02 AM   #1464
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso) Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by W2R View Post
Good - - I hope you are right.
Intellicast - Current Radar in New Orleans, Louisiana

Click on "Play Animation" to see how quickly the storm is moving.
Old 05-16-2010, 08:09 AM   #1465
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by REWahoo View Post
Intellicast - Current Radar in New Orleans, Louisiana

Click on "Play Animation" to see how quickly the storm is moving.
Thanks! Looks like it will be gone by the time I finish my first cup of coffee. What a way to wake up! Good morning!

Edited to add: TV news says the rain has been falling at a rate of 5.7 inches per hour during the storm and there is still a potential for hail. However, looking out my window, it seems to be slacking off now. Total rainfall in my neighborhood so far this morning is 5 inches, though it is more in other areas. They also said, "The line of storms is moving pretty slowly, but the storms are moving pretty quickly". Hmmm. I'll reserve judgment on that statement. Anyway, two more inches of rain is expected to fall in the next hour and rainfall is supposed to be less this afternoon.

Right now, police have blocked off some flooded streets and also there are reports of trees down. I don't have any trees any more. Hurricane Katrina brought down the medium sized one and weakened the huge one, and the latter was finally brought down by Hurricane Gustav, taking my fence with it. My formerly tree lined street is almost treeless these days.

Old 05-17-2010, 03:10 PM   #1466
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Here's a video of the hail storm in OKC yesterday. Incredible.

Old 05-18-2010, 09:10 PM   #1467

Puget sound set to get "unseasonably" high winds tonight. More extreme weather will be the new normal with global warming. NOAA just released numbers for April and for YTD. Warmest on record worldwide...ever NOAA - National Oceanic and Atmospheric Administration - NOAA: NOAA: Warmest April Global Temperature on Record.

But not to worry. Its fudged like the CPI .

DD
Old 05-18-2010, 09:16 PM   #1468
Full time employment: Posting here.

It's been a really strange year for weather in many locations, hasn't it? We've had a number of days recently where both the a/c and the heat have run at different times of the day. Weird.
Old 05-22-2010, 06:27 PM   #1469

Quote:
Originally Posted by RunningBum View Post
Here's a video of the hail storm in OKC yesterday. Incredible.

holy mf'in sh!t. ibet everyone in okc gets new siding and roofs because of that!
Old 05-23-2010, 06:48 PM   #1470
Give me a forum ...

Looks like we missed the first 90 degree day by 1 degree. It would've been the earliest 90 in 20 years. Tomorrow should be close again with near 90 and >50% humidity. This is New Orleans or Florida weather. Most people around here are melting. I don't mind though. I don't even have the fan on let alone the AC. I'm actually wrapped in a blanket right now. I wish it was like this all the time instead of averaging less than 50 degrees 7 months of the year. I'll take 90 and humid over freezing anytime. Glad summers here!
Old 05-23-2010, 06:55 PM   #1471
Moderator Emeritus

It was really hot here today! But Aaron, it was only 90 degrees at 6 PM so you aren't much cooler than we are (though we do have wretched humidity problems). Summer is here. I went grocery shopping and very nearly melted before I was done.

I'd prefer 65 and brisk, myself. But we'll get that next winter.

Old 05-23-2010, 07:16 PM   #1472

As far as I'm concerned 90 above with >50% humidity is just as bad as -40. Can't really do anything outside in either case. I'd rather have +60 than +90 anytime.
Old 05-23-2010, 07:25 PM   #1473
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nodak View Post
As far as I'm concerned 90 above with >50% humidity is just as bad as -40. Can't really do anything outside in either case. I'd rather have +60 than +90 anytime.
I know i'm unusual but I could stay outside many times longer at 90 degrees than I could even at 30 let alone -40. However, I do agree that +60 is better than +90. Low 70's is ideal.
Old 05-23-2010, 07:28 PM   #1474

Quote:
Originally Posted by aaronc879 View Post
I know i'm unusual but I could stay outside many times longer at 90 degrees than I could even at 30 let alone -40. However, I do agree that +60 is better than +90. Low 70's is ideal.
I've lived my whole life in Minnesota and North Dakota and do not handle heat very well.
Old 05-23-2010, 07:31 PM   #1475
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nodak View Post
I've lived my whole life in Minnesota and North Dakota and do not handle heat very well.
I've lived my whole life in east-central Wisconsin but still can't handle cold very well. It seems like most people here are like you not me.
Old 05-23-2010, 07:54 PM   #1476
Give me a forum ...

I have been in AZ for 35 years. When newcomers ask me if one can get used to this dry heat, I answer "For me, it gets tougher every year".

"Those Who Can Make You Believe Absurdities Can Make You Commit Atrocities" - Voltaire (1694-1778)
Old 05-24-2010, 04:02 AM   #1477
Moderator Emeritus

90+ degrees with 75% humidity in northern Illinois on Sunday. When its this hot, I'd rather have a dry heat rather than a wet heat. To me, a 115 degree day in Az is not more uncomfortable than a 95 degree day in Il
Old 05-24-2010, 10:37 AM   #1478
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ronstar View Post
90+ degrees with 75% humidity in northern Illinois on Sunday.
Unbelievable how hot it is for this time of year. Just a week ago the temps were low 80's with nice cool breezes. The weather channel shows 90 at the moment with 45% humidity. I don't believe the humidity number. Just got through doing yard work and I am wringing wet. Feels like late July. Oh well, 30 more minutes and I can have a cold med.
Old 05-24-2010, 10:44 AM   #1479
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dawg52 View Post
Unbelievable how hot it is for this time of year. Just a week ago the temps were low 80's with nice cool breezes. The weather channel shows 90 at the moment with 45% humidity. I don't believe the humidity number. Just got through doing yard work and I am wringing wet. Feels like late July. Oh well, 30 more minutes and I can have a cold med.
It really is hot! The weather channel shows the temperature here is one degree cooler than up there, but they measure the temperature out at the airport (and under an air conditioner, I'd bet). It's always hotter elsewhere in the area than the official temperature anyway. Good idea to wait until you cool off a little, before starting with the cold meds. No need to shock the system.

Old 05-24-2010, 10:55 AM   #1480
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dawg52 View Post
Just got through doing yard work and I am wringing wet.
I was soaked after yard work as well - too bad it wasn't Wednesday weigh-in - I lost 5 lbs over the weekend. Probably water loss that will easily be gained by Weds.

Its 108 in the office in the nuke plant where DW works - the ac has not been working for about a week
Closed Thread