Portal Forums Links Register FAQ Community Calendar Log in

Join Early Retirement Today

This weather is fantastic!
Old 06-03-2014, 05:33 PM   #1
Full time employment: Posting here.

This weather is fantastic!

As I'm sitting here in the sunroom with my laptop, I just noticed a gentle breeze along with the wonderful scent of lilacs from the secret garden outside. It made me think of the thread that comes up from time to time called something like "this weather is awful" and how this day must qualify as the exact opposite... I think it's so nice it deserves a new thread.

In Wisconsin we have plenty of crummy weather. It's mostly the cold and snow that seems to go on way to long, robbing us of our well-deserved spring. But with days like today, it reminds me that maybe we have difficult winters so we truly appreciate the nice days. Today is mid-70s, mostly sunny, low humidity... a "stroll around the yard in your shorts with a gin and tonic" kind of day. I'm not even going to let all the weeds bother me.

I struggle with whether we should move to a place after retirement where we could enjoy this kind of weather throughout the year. But maybe we wouldn't appreciate it as much when the nice weather comes. And then there's the issue of leaving friends and family and all the other issues that go along with such a decision.

For now, I think I'll just relax and enjoy the day... but maybe it's time to move it on out to the patio... better grab my sunglasses.
panacea is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-03-2014, 06:04 PM   #2
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

> But with days like today, it reminds me that maybe we have difficult winters so we truly appreciate the nice days.

Exactly. Honestly, I got tired with the weather in the bay area of California. Boring. One of a few reasons I left there.

I really enjoy the seasons and the changes from one to another. Autumn is my favorite and the bay area doesn't really have autumn.

And yes, after a period of poor weather the nice weather is especially enjoyable.
mpeirce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2014, 06:09 PM   #3
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

It's incredibly nice here in the cornfields. If I weren't so lazy, I'd build a ball park.

steelyman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2014, 06:18 PM   #4
Give me a forum ...

I too live in Wisconsin and am really enjoying the weather. We don't usually get a lot of days that don't require the heat OR A/C but we've had several over the past couple weeks and the next week looks pretty good too.
aaronc879 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2014, 06:18 PM   #5
Recycles dryer sheets

I drove from Sydney to Brisbane over 2 days last week. I largely went up the New England route but with a few deviations.

The weather was stunning. Considering it was 1 week away from the start of winter it was magnificent.

The sky was such a deep blue with high wispy clouds and the country side very green.

Stunning.
Aus_E_Expat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2014, 06:59 PM   #6
Give me a forum ...

No, it is not nice where I am, with temperature of 109F (43C). Humidity is only 5%, so as long as you stay out of direct sunlight, you will not be sweating in the shade.

Actually, you will not be sweaty wet out in direct sunlight either because of the dryness, plus the blazing sun will scorch you to a crisp. But it is not really bad until it gets to around 120F (49C).

I really should be up at my 2nd home, if not RV'ing, but there are a few things I need to take care of.

"Those Who Can Make You Believe Absurdities Can Make You Commit Atrocities" - Voltaire (1694-1778)
NW-Bound is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2014, 07:08 PM   #7
Give me a forum ...

I saw that on the weather map. Seattle is right around 70 and down where you are is 109.

109 is about 39 degrees too hot.
Fermion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2014, 07:10 PM   #8
Give me a forum ...

Well, dew point is 20F, while it's 71F in Houston and New Orleans. So, it's really dry heat.

Jump in the pool, then you are afraid to get out because it feels really cold when that water evaporates off your skin.

"Those Who Can Make You Believe Absurdities Can Make You Commit Atrocities" - Voltaire (1694-1778)
Old 06-03-2014, 07:18 PM   #9
Give me a forum ...

Las Vegas is currently even drier. Humidity is only 1%, so the dew point is -11F (-24C)! Temperature is 98F.

And there's another place where the dew point is -20F (-29C).

Old 06-03-2014, 07:32 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by panacea View Post
I struggle with whether we should move to a place after retirement where we could enjoy this kind of weather throughout the year. But maybe we wouldn't appreciate it as much when the nice weather comes. And then there's the issue of leaving friends and family and all the other issues that go along with such a decision.
After our first year of enjoying winter in Florida, it was very nice. Did not miss the winters at all. Now we are back in the great white north as well. But you are right about the family, friends, and other issues that are a tradeoff.
48Fire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2014, 07:36 PM   #11
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quote:
Originally Posted by panacea View Post
As I'm sitting here in the sunroom with my laptop, I just noticed a gentle breeze a...

For now, I think I'll just relax and enjoy the day... but maybe it's time to move it on out to the patio... better grab my sunglasses.
I think... ah, nevermind. I'll just get something thrown at me.
nash031 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2014, 07:37 PM   #12
Recycles dryer sheets

Just moved to western NC in the mountains. Golf for the last several weeks has been great with max temps in the high 70's. Will get into the low 80's in July and August but that is much more tolerable than the 90's and high humidity on the Gulf coast.
sanfanciscotreat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2014, 08:57 AM   #13
Give me a forum ...

While I complain about the heat here every summer, I have not left for almost 40 years.

At least the weather is predictable; it's hot for the summer in exchange for a nice winter. No worry about storms of any kind. Oops, forgot about dust storms. On the other hand, no hurricanes, tornadoes, earthquakes, land slides, derechos, floods. Only a hailstorm occasionally, like one every 15 years, but mostly pea sized. It's the devil that you know.

Old 06-04-2014, 09:18 AM   #14
Give me a forum ...

Hot. Muggy.

...not doing anything of true substance...
HFWR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2014, 03:14 PM   #15

Pretty nice here which is good since we still don't have either A/C or heat. DW and I had a discussion - next time we need service for HVAC we will definitely call someone else. Here it is 8 days after the lightning strike and they still don't have the parts? They'll point at the manufacturer and probably justifiably. Evidently they've never heard of overnight shipping. Note to self: Never buy a Trane furnace or A/C. But it's also the servicer's problem because they're the ones I'm writing the check to. And when the dust settles on this event I'll never write them another check.

But that is at the moment an annoyance because the weather is so nice.
Old 06-04-2014, 03:20 PM   #16
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso) Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Walt34 View Post
Here it is 8 days after the lightning strike and they still don't have the parts?
That's called 'justifiable homicide' in this part of the country.
Old 06-05-2014, 05:11 AM   #17

Another nice one coming our way today. Forecast is 74 and sunny with comfortable humidity. We have a cookout planned at w*rk. Also 21st wedding anniversary with DW. Going out for Italian tonight... Mmmmmm. Better get off the computer and get going on my workout to offset all this good food I'll be having today!
panacea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2014, 05:25 AM   #18
Moderator Emeritus

Just left Scottsdale where it's a tad warm at 107°, but forecast for today in the southern section of Chicagoland is mostly sunny with a high of 79° with 59% humidity.
Ronstar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2014, 05:46 AM   #19
Give me a forum ...

Hot and humid, again...

...not doing anything of true substance...
HFWR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2014, 08:55 AM   #20
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by HFWR View Post
Hot and humid, again...
Same here, but I love it that way, especially when it rains. Today we only have a 10% chance of rain, but it looks like it could rain out there. High of 86 predicted for today, and it is already 86 and not even 10 AM.

If we ever move away, I'll miss all the rain! I never have to water the lawn or anything else, and the rain provides me with free car washes, too.

On the other hand, I do greatly appreciate having central AC.

Happily retired since 2009, at age 61. Best years of my life by far!
W2R is offline   Reply With Quote