Join Early Retirement Today

Old 01-26-2012, 04:46 PM   #41
Administrator

I'm not obsolete until 103.5 . If I wasn't able to program in 5+ languages, I'd be obsolete at 75!

What's weird to me about this, is that I have so many fewer chances to use programming skills now than I did 20 years ago. Remember when PC's came with MS-Basic on them? Those were the days.

- - H. Melville, 1851
W2R is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-26-2012, 05:22 PM   #42
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

The thing about many very elderly men is that they never learned to use a keyboard, because until personal computers came along, typing was strictly "women's work" and something they knew they'd never need. So once their wife dies, computers are out, unless they can find a daughter, niece, or lady companion to do the keyboarding. They remind me of old ladies of an earlier era (1980's) who never learned to drive because their father did the driving; then their husband did the driving; then their son did it; and finally, they hired someone to drive them.

My dear late mother, though, had a different issue. She could type blue blazes, but was afraid of doing something by accident that would "break" the computer. No matter how much we reassured her that it was almost impossible to break the computer except by dropping it or pouring water on it. She was especially intimidated by pop-up ads, and would turn the computer off (using the "on-off" button) when one appeared. Finally one day I showed her how to click the little "X" in the corner and she was so relieved!

Amethyst

Old 01-26-2012, 05:33 PM   #43
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by ERD50 View Post
So programming in five languages is weighed the same as being signed up for five different social media thingees? Hah! I choose not to have those accounts, it's not that I couldn't figure them out.

-ERD50
Yeah, what a bunch of crap (and I have not been accused of overusing that phrase). Next, they are going to say texting 50 words/min proves that a kid's skill is equivalent to a pianist performing in a concert.

Anyway, though I use the computer much for work (designing hardware, developing firmware, writing programs for dynamic system simulation as well as analytical studies), I think humanity is headed the way the following diagram depicts.

Old 01-26-2012, 06:55 PM   #44
Recycles dryer sheets

Amethyst, I can totally relate. A friend to my mother installed on her machine a trial copy of Microsoft Word for Mac, just to see if she liked it. She loved it. I told her I had an extra license for the same program and I would install a legal copy when I visited. All we had to do was delete the trial copy and install the new one. She objected. We can't delete her friends copy, we need to return it to her friend.

I tried to explain, she finally said she understood, but I often wonder.
Old 01-26-2012, 07:20 PM   #45
Give me a forum ...

An elderly gentlemen of my acquaintance did not realize that when you fax a document, you don't have to make a copy for yourself Yes, he has all his marbles, and is intelligent....just never had anything to do with office machinery...back in his day, women did "all that" whilst the menfolk did the Real Work...And we think women are the sheltered ones!

Amethyst

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brdofpray View Post
Amethyst, I can totally relate. A friend to my mother installed on her machine a trial copy of Microsoft Word for Mac, just to see if she liked it. She loved it. I told her I had an extra license for the same program and I would install a legal copy when I visited. All we had to do was delete the trial copy and install the new one. She objected. We can't delete her friends copy, we need to return it to her friend.

I tried to explain, she finally said she understood, but I often wonder.
Old 01-26-2012, 07:25 PM   #46
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso) Give me a forum ...

I didn't notice today was "make fun of old guys day". Guess I should get a woman to check my calendar for me...

When I hit 70, it hit back

Retired in 2005 at age 58, no pension
REWahoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2012, 07:32 PM   #47
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Major Tom View Post
This was the point at which I noticed him. He was loudly asking (to everyone in general and no-one in particular) what was happening to the Post Office.
One thing that is happening is that during the snow and ice storms last week, the Post Office was the ONLY delivery service that made it rounds every day! The private delivery companies did not, the trash guys did not, the repair guys did not, but the USPS delivered the mail every day.
Old 01-26-2012, 07:40 PM   #48
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by REWahoo View Post
I didn't notice today was "make fun of old guys day". Guess I should get a woman to check my calendar for me...
I hope I am not making fun. I am continually impressed with my 85 year old mother who is willing to take on this new technological challenge. I hope when I am where she is, I will be as open to new things as she is now!
Old 01-26-2012, 08:09 PM   #49
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brdofpray View Post
I hope I am not making fun. I am continually impressed with my 85 year old mother who is willing to take on this new technological challenge. I hope when I am where she is, I will be as open to new things as she is now!
It's interesting how some people adapt to new technologies and others don't. My sister-in-law's father got himself a digital camera and a computer when in his late 70's. He got online about 10 years ago and put himself back in touch with his WWII buddies, contributing his own memories to the website that had been constructed for the ship that he served on. He wasn't what you'd think of as a particularly hip kind of guy - he was very much a man's man. He fished, hunted and went camping. He wasn't a tech type at all, but he was interested in new stuff.

My own father, on the other hand, didn't share the same enthusiasm for new things. The last time he got on board with new technology was in the 70's when he purchased a desktop calculator that used nixie tubes for the display, for his home business. Around the same time he purchased a photocopier, also for his business. The fact that he had a photocopier AND a desktop calculator was a pretty big deal back then. Fast forward to about 10 years ago and he had no interest in the internet or personal computers. He didn't really want to learn anything new and he wasn't interested in keeping in touch with anyone, so nothing I could say would interest him. He thought it was all some big plot to invade his privacy (maybe it was .)
Old 01-26-2012, 08:22 PM   #50
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by GrayHare
FWIW, AFAIK USPS does not have a rate card online either... well they must, but I couldn't find it.
I'm glad I'm not the only one who couldn't find one. It bugged me that you couldn't just search for "rate card" and get to a page that you could bookmark or print for your wall.

I'm often astounded by the changes we see. It's love/hate for me, but we are stuck with it. I even take my iPod with me to the bathroom.
Old 01-26-2012, 08:26 PM   #51
Give me a forum ...

My wife has a long-time friend who is computer-averse, who had used PC at work but refused to have her own at home. She said that these PCs were buggy and temperamental, and that she would rather avoid all aggravations and not deal with them.

It is sad, and I couldn't help thinking that if she had a more user-friendly Mac that her experience would have been a happier one. Note that I have never used a Mac, and stick with PCs mainly because they are used in the business world.

And here's some more data points. A friend of mine, a well-paid engineer, has a side business of "fixing" home PCs. He started out helping his in-laws, then the cousins, and the word spread, and people came beating a path to his door. At first, he did it for free (he's a hard-core geek!) because he thought it was fun. Soon, as he had too much business though he only accepted jobs from friends of friends and not strangers, he had to charge something to pay for his beers while he babysat weekend-long sessions of Windows re-installation, etc...

He said he saw quite a few PCs that got infected with virus, and the owners stopped using them soon after buying them, judging from the date and the amount of files and data on their hard drives. What was sad was that the poor owner, not knowing anyone to fix it, just put the PC in the closet, and by the time it got to my friend, the PC was already so old and obsolete it was not worthwhile to resurrect it.

He was doing this before the Geek Squad started, and still had some "business" the last time I talked to him.
Old 01-26-2012, 08:28 PM   #52
Administrator

I'm not sure but I think this link goes to their rates, though there are really too many to fit on a card.

DMM Notice 123 Price List

- - H. Melville, 1851
W2R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2012, 08:31 PM   #53
Give me a forum ...

There's this joke widely circulating on the internet and through emails. So, I searched this forum, and sure enough someone has posted it here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Amethyst View Post
An elderly gentlemen of my acquaintance did not realize that when you fax a document, you don't have to make a copy for yourself Yes, he has all his marbles, and is intelligent....just never had anything to do with office machinery...back in his day, women did "all that" whilst the menfolk did the Real Work...And we think women are the sheltered ones!

Amethyst
Old 01-26-2012, 08:36 PM   #54
Full time employment: Posting here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Midpack View Post
Progress just moves too quickly for some, but that horse left the barn long ago.
I started programming in the punch card era. Since the PC appeared I've tried to help and or train co-workers, family and friends. The ones who progress moved too quickly for all acted the same way. Based on their actions my guess is the following thoughts ran on a loop while trying to learn about computers is:
- What's wrong with paper and pencil!
- You're trying to make me look like a fool!
- I Don't want to be here!
- I HATE this Stuff!
- ITS NOT FAIR!
Old 01-26-2012, 08:52 PM   #55

Was walking out of a client's office one day when the head of the agency stopped me. He had seen me working again with 'The Complainer', an employee who would have been fired along ago if it hadn't been a civil service job. Being within earshot of this woman was an ordeal. She talked to herself and at others who were ignoring her way, way too much and most of what she said was whining moaning and complaining. For this session she'd been a happy camper, which did not go unnoticed.

I told him she was spell checking a word processing document when I arrived. The copy was to be used in a graphic program she used to make the version to be posted on walls all around the county. She mentioned that now she had the spelling right, her next step was to retype it into the graphics program, but that would wait until I was gone. I showed her how to copy and paste text from one program to another. She was stunned for about 10 seconds, all smiles after that.
Old 01-26-2012, 09:28 PM   #56
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by ItDontMeanAThing View Post
I started programming in the punch card era...
You used punched cards? You had it made! See this.
Old 01-26-2012, 09:29 PM   #57

Quote:
Originally Posted by TromboneAl View Post
It's love/hate for me, but we are stuck with it. I even take my iPod with me to the bathroom.
I think, based on this information alone, you have pretty much taken the new technology to heart
Old 01-26-2012, 09:30 PM   #58

Quote:
Originally Posted by W2R View Post
I'm not sure but I think this link goes to their rates, though there are really too many to fit on a card.

DMM Notice 123 Price List
Holy cow, that page is over 6 megabytes of html! And sure enough, the most commonly used "First-Class Mail Domestic—Retail" ratecard is indeed there: at the very bottom.
Old 01-26-2012, 09:51 PM   #59

Quote:
Originally Posted by Amethyst View Post
The thing about many very elderly men is that they never learned to use a keyboard, because until personal computers came along, typing was strictly "women's work" and something they knew they'd never need. So once their wife dies, computers are out, unless they can find a daughter, niece, or lady companion to do the keyboarding. They remind me of old ladies of an earlier era (1980's) who never learned to drive because their father did the driving; then their husband did the driving; then their son did it; and finally, they hired someone to drive them.

My dear late mother, though, had a different issue. She could type blue blazes, but was afraid of doing something by accident that would "break" the computer. No matter how much we reassured her that it was almost impossible to break the computer except by dropping it or pouring water on it. She was especially intimidated by pop-up ads, and would turn the computer off (using the "on-off" button) when one appeared. Finally one day I showed her how to click the little "X" in the corner and she was so relieved!

Amethyst
I can relate to this on several levels.

First, my mom's mother had stopped driving after she got divorced in the early 1960s and lived in Brooklyn near Flatbush Avenue which has many stores and is near lots of public transit. By 1981, 10 years after she and her second husband moved to Florida, she was taking driving lessons again to get her license back. I had just turned 18 and was going to visit them in Florida, and, just having gotten my DL we were going to kinda celebrate this big (re)achievement in our lives. Sadly, it never happened because she had an aneurysm and passed away rather suddenly.

My dad, meanwhile, has had only a minor interest in using a PC and going on line. I gave him an old PC about 10 years ao then my brother gave him a better old one soon after. That one broke down last month (I tried to fix it but failed; it needs some new parts) so my brother is giving him an old laptop. But my dad never learned to type so he is painfully ssllooww to watch type a small message, using one finger from each hand and taking several seconds to hit each key. I did show him how to sign onto the library's PC to check his email (nearly all junk mail anyway) but he has not done it while he waits to pick up my brother's old laptop this weekend.

I often wonder if things would have been different regarding PC use in their house had my mother still been alive. She passed away in 1995 at age 59, a few months after I had just bought my first PC. She did get to see it once before she died and was really impressed with it (a real POS by today's standards, not much better by 1995 standards). I hadn't even set it up to go on line at the time until 1996. She was a good typist and, given how many friends she had who lived out of town, probably would have been a big FB fan.
Retired in late 2008 at age 45. Cashed in company stock, bought a lot of shares in a big bond fund and am living nicely off its dividends. IRA, SS, and a pension await me at age 60 and later. No kids, no debts.

"I want my money working for me instead of me working for my money!"
scrabbler1 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2012, 12:48 AM   #60

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dreamer View Post
Uh oh. I am in trouble. I will be technologically obsolete at 59.6 and I am currently 58.
I'm 52 and it blorched out 199.8 for me. I am skeptical