Join Early Retirement Today

Old 01-27-2012, 12:59 AM   #61
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

I do have sympathy for the guy in the Post Office because I think of my 87 year old mother.

Now, I realize that people vary on use of technology. I see people who are younger than me who can't quite figure it out. But, my mom has never been good with technology. She still doesn't have cable TV and when we used to have it (we've migrated to netflix and hulu) she would invariably get the TV off the correct channel and be too confused to find where she should be. She still rails about wanting only ABC, NBC, and CBS and is upset there are more choices available...

Anyway...she has no computer and she doesn't really quite get the idea of the internet or how to use a computer. She is starting to get perturbed as she will call some place for something or other and they want her to get it online and she has no online. Having a computer at the library, for example, wouldn't help as she has no idea how to get online and would be hopelessly confused by it.

She recently got her first cell phone and finds that confusing enough....

Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-27-2012, 06:32 AM   #62
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

It's certainly true that you don't have to be elderly to be a technophobe.

DW's brother, same age as me, owns and runs a retail business. It's a one-man operation, but he's been operating it for decades. He has always refused any involvement with computers, and does all his business on his office typewriter. He won a speed typing contest in high school, and I guess the pride/nostalgia is just too great for him to give it up.

He needs an email address for his business, so he has one that a friend set up. Once or twice a month, the friend prints out his emails and drops them off at his store for him, so he can answer them with either a phone call or a typed letter.

I've offered many times to set up and teach him how to do everything on a computer (I spent years as a technical writer/website designer), but he has always refused. His idea of being "with it" is his creative use of different colors of typewriter ribbons.

What mystifies me is that not only is he intelligent, but actually extremely intelligent. He just doesn't like modern life, and has often spoken wistfully about how wonderful it would be to live in the 19th century.

Old 01-27-2012, 07:14 AM   #63
gone traveling

Quote:
Originally Posted by NW-Bound View Post
You used punched cards? You had it made! See this.
What's a DB?

If you don't know what a timing chart, jackplug, and skip punch are, you're spoiled. Here's the first "programming language" I learned/used (after moving on to mainframes, e.g. "real computers"; PC's were just toys):
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IBM402plugboard.jpg (192.6 KB, 2 views)
Old 01-27-2012, 07:28 AM   #64

What we need is a sketch that brings the Four Yorkshiremen into the computer age. I'm not sure how it would go but I do have a strong feeling REWahoo would be one of the four...
Old 01-27-2012, 07:40 AM   #65

Quote:
Originally Posted by GrayHare View Post
This does not look promising. According to that site I'll be technologically brain-dead in 11 years.
Old 01-27-2012, 07:53 AM   #66

The thread reminds me of one of the secretaries Administrative Aides in our office ~1995. She used a desktop running MS DOS 4.4 and WordPerfect, connected to a noisy dot-matrix printer and therefore associated a computer with work and a noisy printer.

She came in a said her husband wanted to buy a home computer and put it in the bedroom. She was adamant that she was not going to have that "damn thing" in her bedroom. (Understand that for her to use language remotely resembling a swear word was very rare.)

Then she found out she could get E-mail and pictures from her grandchildren in Oregon on the other side of the country. Well, that changed things. Then she wanted it on her side of the bed.
Old 01-27-2012, 07:59 AM   #67

My 86 YO Mom Skype's, I couldn't figure out how to do it.
Old 01-27-2012, 08:32 AM   #68
Give me a forum ...

Perhaps my second cousin (the fax-impaired gentleman) is the source of this joke, but it wasn't on my account. This is the only time I've ever mentioned him on the Internet. Now I feel kind of mean for having done so

Amethyst

Quote:
Originally Posted by NW-Bound View Post
There's this joke widely circulating on the internet and through emails. So, I searched this forum, and sure enough someone has posted it here.
Old 01-27-2012, 10:21 AM   #69
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by braumeister View Post
DW's brother, same age as me, owns and runs a retail business. It's a one-man operation, but he's been operating it for decades. He has always refused any involvement with computers, and does all his business on his office typewriter.
We have a family member like this, but we're convinced the reason the business is not on the computer has more to do with records of cash flow (wink wink) than philosophy.
Old 01-27-2012, 12:02 PM   #70
Give me a forum ...

OK, I'll play the game.
My introduction to programming was on one of these things.

You could program it (and you had to boot it this way) by flipping those little lever switches (making words in octal).

Of course we also used punch cards and magnetic tape, but this was the original "machine language."

The peripherals (punch card sorter, interpreter, etc.) were programmed with plug-in wiring boards, as shown by rescue me.

Memory wasn't on disks, but drums. Think "3-foot lengths of sewer pipe with a magnetic coating and 64 read-write heads."

Ah, those were the days! I don't miss 'em a bit.
Old 01-27-2012, 01:14 PM   #71
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by GrayHare
find out the age at which you will become technologically obsolete (100 for me!)

http://politicalcalculations.blogspo...-obsolete.html

At which point I'll almost certainly be on my second or third body, and I'll probably just update my technological capabilities with the new MindDesign options for the season. "MindDesign: You CAN change your mind!"
Old 01-28-2012, 11:32 AM   #72
Recycles dryer sheets

Texting

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brdofpray View Post
I wonder what our kids are going to be dragging us into, in the future.
Our kids are already affecting us. They like texting, facebook and iPads for each of their kids. I refuse to pay extra for texting on our cell. To me it's like going back to BBS time. Why type (and pay) instead of talking for free? We found a way to comply, we use Google voice, which includes texting for free.
There is no choice, but to sign up for facebook, or forget about getting any updates or pictures from our kids.
iPads are here to stay and I refuse to help DD with setup. iCrap is not for me, but grand kids love the games - anything electronic is a hit. Can't imagine a toy that is silent when squeezed in the right place. It would be sent back into the box as broken.
Times are changing.. it's more then just inflation we have to keep up with!
Old 01-28-2012, 11:43 AM   #73
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sirka View Post
I refuse to pay extra for texting on our cell.
Me too. But it costs less to text than voice on my simple no-contract phone in that texts cost me 0.25 or 0.50 minutes each vs 1 minute increments for voice. That's why I'd rather text and often can (short messages). I think the days of paying extra for texts are fading fast if you look at the contracts available now.

Target AA: 60% equity funds / 35% bond funds / 5% cash
Target WR: Approx 2.5% Approx 20% SI (secure income, SS only)
Midpack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2012, 11:44 AM   #74
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coolius View Post
Vanguard has the worst stock trading platform I have encountered. Cumbersome, slow, lack of real time information, lousy graphics -

Fortunately, I do not trade often in my IRAs, and do my regular activity on Ameritrade's platform.
+1
I also trade with TD Ameritrade! Vanguard is only OK with MF. I hope they will improve with time, they have free ETF trades after all.
Old 01-28-2012, 12:23 PM   #75

Technology is great but it does have its costs. NY Times series on manufacturing in China, focusing on factories which churn out Apple products, gives you a picture of what we've traded for these electronic conveniences.

The demand for better products every year -- sales keep going up -- drives harsh working conditions in these factories, kind of like the modern sweat shops.

Then there are the ecological costs, especially when people are encouraged to traded up their gadgets every year or every other year for improvements, even though the devices they have function fine. So not only increasing volumes of resources used to build more devices but a lot of energy to recycle and dispose of devices which have been traded in or dumped.
Old 01-31-2012, 09:57 AM   #76
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by rescueme View Post
Lassie saved little Timmy from the well without a PC, cell phone, or any other modern convenience ...
What's the point of rescuing Timmy from the well if you can't update your facebook and twitter feeds in real time with photos and videos of the rescue? #pointless lol