Portal Forums Links Register FAQ Community Calendar Log in

Join Early Retirement Today

Those Three little men from Texas HLSR
Old 03-22-2017, 09:58 AM   #1
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

We went to the Houston live Stock Show and Rodeo last night. This was our first time in years . We really enjoyed the rodeo itself and something different they honored a retired athelete , not a human but a saddle bronc ( horse ) . it was really neat they turned all the lights off in NRG and let her run wild in the spotlight , then one by one they let her children and grand and great grand children , a baby colt come out under the spotlight. This Horse was ridden in the rodeo 176 times . The bull riding is always great a bull that has not been ridden for 9 seconds in two and one half years was finally ridden by a cowboy from Canada.
The entertainment was ZZ Top and wow what memories they bring back . I think everyone in Houston has met them and has a story . When they played " Sharp Dressed Man " and started their little ZZ Top dance it was almost like they were immortal . But then this is their 50 year tour and 68 year rockers are immortal ...almost.
Breedlove is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-22-2017, 10:40 AM   #2
Full time employment: Posting here.

I am hoping that they let the retired horse live out her last days on a ranch somewhere.

Many horses which become useless to humans end up being sent to slaughter in Mexico or Canada.
broadway is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2017, 10:55 AM   #3
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

love me some ZZ Top
Old 03-22-2017, 11:04 AM   #4
Give me a forum ...

We went a week ago and they did the same.... so I guess it is standard for all days now...

We say Chainsmokers.... WORST CONCERT EVER!!!!

Bass was too boomy and we could not hear much in the mid or high range... I was hoping to hear a nice concert but all they did was DJ A buch of jumping around and putting on and taking off headphones (must have been WAY over 100 times)

Wished I had gone to ZZ Top...

Just for info... we saw John Mendez last year and even though it was only him and his guitar (and a bass thumper) he was great...
Texas Proud is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2017, 11:09 AM   #5
Give me a forum ...

LOL!

My brother routinely does sound for bands from the 80s, 90s. I laugh with him that even though he is getting older, the bands are getting older but still going on tour!!! I guess their fans still want to hear them live. Good thing for his job security - he doesn't stick out as middle aged when the bad is seniors.
Old 03-22-2017, 11:11 AM   #6
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big_Hitter View Post
love me some ZZ Top
+1

The Winter's Tale, William Shakespeare
Nemo2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2017, 11:12 AM   #7
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
love me some ZZ Top

+2. Listened to some this morning on my walk.
Ronstar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2017, 11:14 AM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Texas Proud View Post
We say Chainsmokers.... WORST CONCERT EVER!!!!

Bass was too boomy and we could not hear much in the mid or high range... I was hoping to hear a nice concert but all they did was DJ A buch of jumping around and putting on and taking off headphones (must have been WAY over 100 times)
Not sure why you expected anything else. They ARE DJ's. It's what they do...

https://www.forbes.com/sites/ryanmac.../#250fa9cd13ea

EDM is on my bucket list, even before a Jimmy Buffet concert.
dixonge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2017, 12:00 PM   #9
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
love me some ZZ Top

The 70s version. The 80s-empTV version less so...

...not doing anything of true substance...
HFWR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2017, 12:25 PM   #10
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by HFWR View Post
The 70s version. The 80s-empTV version less so...
I stopped listening to them after El Loco - by "listening" I mean buying their records

I think I have the box set DW bought me for xmas other than that just all albums from the first to El Loco

I do like that under pressure song on eliminator tho

I graduated from HS in Houston in 82 and that was prime ZZ time, js
Old 03-22-2017, 12:32 PM   #11
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by dixonge View Post
Not sure why you expected anything else. They ARE DJ's. It's what they do...

https://www.forbes.com/sites/ryanmac.../#250fa9cd13ea

EDM is on my bucket list, even before a Jimmy Buffet concert.

Well, since I hear songs on the radio that is attributed to them I was thinking they were a band....

Who knew

HOWEVER.... still the worst ever... the sound was horrible... just a bunch of low booming bass.... even the songs that have their name I could not hear the vocals... heck, I could hear the audience singing more than what was coming from the speakers...

Edit to add..... also, why the heck have DANCE music at a rodeo concert where you cannot dance
Old 03-22-2017, 03:00 PM   #12
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
I stopped listening to them after El Loco - by "listening" I mean buying their records

I think I have the box set DW bought me for xmas other than that just all albums from the first to El Loco

I do like that under pressure song on eliminator tho

I graduated from HS in Houston in 82 and that was prime ZZ time, js

I discovered ZZ Top around 1973, first Tres Hombres, then Rio Grande Mud, the album prior, oddly enough. Saw them the first time in Dec of 73. They were more cowboy than whatever they morphed into...

Have seen them probably 4-5 times since (lost count); not sure I'm up for another.

I could condense the 80s version down to maybe four songs: My Head's in Mississippi, Rough Boy, Got Me Under Pressure, and Tube Snake Boogie.

...not doing anything of true substance...
HFWR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2017, 04:12 PM   #13

ZZ Top Classic
https://youtu.be/WAzTO8GMZhk

Sent from my SM-T810 using Early Retirement Forum mobile app

Disclaimer: My Posts are for my amusement only.
Eagle43 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2017, 04:31 PM   #14

It always seemed like they were trying, but never getting quite getting up to Tres Hombres. Close sometimes, though.

Here's one from Tres Hombres that didn't/doesn't get much radio play that I like*:

I'm not going to tell you about what the lyrics mean, but I've heard an interview. I will say that "seven gauge" is steel they stole from unsecured structures.

* Probably because I was in a group of guys that attempted to cover it.
sengsational is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2017, 11:01 PM   #15
Full time employment: Posting here.

My very first live rock concert was ZZ Top at Independence Hall in Baton Rouge circa 1970 or 1971 (can't remember to exact date . . . it was a long time ago). At the time, I thought it was the greatest thing that I had ever experienced in my young life. It's hard to fathom that those guys are still at it almost 50 years later. Simply amazing!
txtig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2017, 08:40 AM   #16
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by sengsational View Post

I'm not going to tell you about what the lyrics mean, but I've heard an interview. I will say that "seven gauge" is steel they stole from unsecured structures.

* Probably because I was in a group of guys that attempted to cover it.
I grew up pretty close to highway 6
Old 03-24-2017, 09:01 AM   #17
Give me a forum ...

Sound in NRG Stadium? The acoustics (if you can even call them that) turn EVERYTHING to trashy noise. It's the spectacle of watching live music, but it ain't really music in that venue.

ZZ Top is great!
LOL! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2017, 09:27 AM   #18

ZZ is all time fav...have seen them several times and they always deliver...

Got my DW a VIP pass for backstage meet and greet.. it was just an assembly line. Fans were instructed to form a circle and the boys walked in and just walked around the circle saying hi.

DW came back and she was was excited and bragging the she 'got to shake their little pale arthritic hands' and how old they were looking. A lot of us are right there too.
Tailgate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2017, 09:31 AM   #19
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by LOL! View Post
Sound in NRG Stadium? The acoustics (if you can even call them that) turn EVERYTHING to trashy noise. It's the spectacle of watching live music, but it ain't really music in that venue.

ZZ Top is great!
I guess you can say that.... but I will then say that the amount of trash can be huge..

The Chainsmokers were worthless.... like listening to a getto blaster car thumping by you... you can only hear the trunk of the car making horrible noise and no mid or high... lots of vibration and loud, but not music....

But Shawn Mendes was just him singing and a guitar.... he did have some kind of bass thumper he could push with his foot to get a nice bass going... very clear voice and very clear guitar... it was a pleasure to listen to...

I have also been there with the Charlie Danials Band and his playing the Devil went down to Georgia was excellent... here it is but not at the rodeo...