Join Early Retirement Today

Re: Thoughts about a house
Old 04-01-2006, 08:51 PM   #21
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quote:
Originally Posted by nwsteve
I am in this stage and am not wanting to throw 3% out the door for the listing and getting little more than some forms completed and some pics taken.
Believe me, I'm with you on this one. I find it outrageous that they charge a percentage at all. It should be a fixed rate for a relatively fixed amount of work.

Anyway, for the last property I sold, I used a fixed-rate service (mls4owners.com for those in the PacNW). The house sold, but the disadvantages became pretty clear. Basically, realtors hold a monopoly, and they loathe anyone who tries to break that monopoly. So, they are not very receptive towards the services like mls4owners. Your home will not be on the agents tour for new listings, for example. And, for the most part, the only agents who showed the place represented buyers who found the listing on their own and who insisted on seeing it.

So, I went for the full-price broker this time, and I picked one who really does appear to add a fair amount of value. She brings a good feel for "staging" homes, and even helped with the prep work (which was pretty extensive). And it really helps that she's an insider and was able to build a fair amount of excitement within our local realtor community. Plus, she does do more marketing than I would have done on my own, including hiring a professional photog and getting the listing published in those throw-away magazines you find on the ferry and other places.

Bottom-line for me was that I figured her efforts will probably increase our sales price by more than 3%.
wabmester is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-02-2006, 07:11 AM   #22
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Sooo...its subtle extortion then.
Be fearful when others are greedy, and greedy when others are fearful. Just another form of "buy low, sell high" for those who have trouble with things. This rule is not universal. Do not buy a 1973 Pinto because everyone else is afraid of it.
cute fuzzy bunny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2006, 07:36 AM   #23
Full time employment: Posting here.

What % is usual for Realtors, up here it is 6%??
Maximillion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2006, 08:00 PM   #24

Quote:
Originally Posted by kz
I love the fireplace. We've always wanted one of those. (Rumsford??)
I think Rumford fireplaces are a bit different -- ours is a Tulikivi. A soapstone fireplace from Finland. Very cool warm.

Quote:
What % is usual for Realtors, up here it is 6%??
6% here too, but it's split 3% to the listing agent and 3% to the selling agent (typically the buyer's agent). The listing agent's fee is easier to negotiate downward.

So, our agent basically used two tactics:

1) List the house but delay the showing so we can line all the buyers up at the starting gate.

2) Let buyer's agents know that we'll be reviewing offers the following weekend, to create a bidding frenzy.

Tactic (1) worked well. We had four buyers indicating strong interest at the first open house.

Tactic (2) backfired. One buyer explicitly said they didn't want to play the competitive bidding game, and two more dropped out (too much time to sleep on it, I guess).

But that left one bidder, and they came through with a full-priced very clean offer. They seem like *very* cool people, too. Which, believe it or not, really does make a difference to us since we like both the house and the neighbors.

So, we still have to get everything signed-around, but it looks like we sold the place less than a week after putting it on the market.
Old 04-02-2006, 08:06 PM   #25
Moderator Emeritus

Congrats on the quick sale, but I bet it's with mixed feelings you let it go. That is an awesome place.
laurence is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2006, 09:09 PM   #26
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by wab
So, we still have to get everything signed-around, but it looks like we sold the place less than a week after putting it on the market.
Does that leave you any thoughts that you listed it too low?
Be fearful when others are greedy, and greedy when others are fearful. Just another form of "buy low, sell high" for those who have trouble with things. This rule is not universal. Do not buy a 1973 Pinto because everyone else is afraid of it.
cute fuzzy bunny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2006, 10:21 PM   #27

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cute Fuzzy Bunny
Does that leave you any thoughts that you listed it too low?
The real estate market isn't very efficient (especially our local market with almost no tract homes), so it's certainly possible that we sold too low.* * It's just as possible that the buyer paid too much.* * But, based on what I know (comps, land value, cost to build from scratch), I think we got a fair price.* * Almost all of the interest came from California and Boston, so I'm sure the place seemed like a bargain given their local comps.

As far as emotions go, we're sad to see it go, but relieved to move on.* * We moved out over a year ago after we gravitated to another house we purchased for investment.* *So, it was that gravitational pull that we accepted as a deciding factor in selling the place.

Basically, we traded a great house with an OK view for an OK house with a great view.* * This is our consolation prize:

Old 04-02-2006, 11:04 PM   #28
Give me a forum ...

Congratulations on a full price offer in such a short time.

I haven't seen a bidding frenzy in the NW.* On one hand it is important that potential buyers have a chance to see it, but no one likes to be in a meat market.* It is important to know comps so that it is priced right for that reason.*

My daughter got in a bidding war in the South Bay last week on a great house.* In her area home prices are impacted by stock options, not salaries, so for many a mortgage isn't a big issue.* She isn't buying with Google options, so couldn't compete.*
Old 04-02-2006, 11:36 PM   #29

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brat
She isn't buying with Google options, so couldn't compete.*
I miss the days of old when Microsoft millionaires and local dot-com optionaires would bid stuff up. But Microsoft options have been worthless for five years now. Maybe they'll come back after Vista ships.
Old 04-03-2006, 02:31 AM   #30
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by wab
Basically, we traded a great house with an OK view for an OK house with a great view.* * This is our consolation prize:

Where are you from?* Can't be far from me.* I live in the Keyport/Poulsbo area.* All I know is I've seen that view before.* I'm guessing Bainbridge Island.
Lieutenant Dan got me invested in some kind of fruit company. So then I got a call from him, saying we don't have to worry about money no more. And I said, that's good! One less thing.* * * * ** Forrest Gump
gtmeouttahere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2006, 05:22 AM   #31

Congratulations on the quick sale, I'm sure you're sad to see it go, I would be too.

Dogs aren't our whole lives, but they make our lives whole. - Roger Caras
Outtahere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2006, 08:45 AM   #32

Congratulations on the quick sale, and the house going to good people.

KB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2006, 09:57 AM   #33

Quote:
Originally Posted by gtmeouttahere
Where are you from?* Can't be far from me.* I live in the Keyport/Poulsbo area.* All I know is I've seen that view before.* I'm guessing Bainbridge Island.
Good guess, my fellow Kitsapian. This board has a bunch of people from both sides of the Sound. Must be something in the water than makes us want to retire early.