Join Early Retirement Today

Old 01-28-2013, 12:12 PM   #41

Quote:
Originally Posted by Redbugdave View Post
Marty...

The three things not to have...a pack of dogs...a boat too big to trailer...and a swimming pool.
This might be the best piece of advice I hear all year. And I have all but the pool, dang it!

Sarah in SC is online now   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-28-2013, 02:11 PM   #42
Full time employment: Posting here.

If you have young kids do it. Otherwise run away from this idea.

Live in Dallas. We have a pool. My kids are grown. We don't use it. It's not that hard to maintain but it does cost, particularly on my electric bill. After our first summer we hardly ever use it. OTOH, our dog loves it.

Old 01-28-2013, 02:18 PM   #43
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sarah in SC View Post
This might be the best piece of advice I hear all year. And I have all but the pool, dang it!
Show up at a pool-owning neighbor's house with either
a) a fresh baked chocolate cake,
OR
b) a case of beer,
as their particular taste dictates.

Bonus points if the beer is already on ice in a cooler.
Old 01-28-2013, 02:59 PM   #44

Quote:
Originally Posted by freebird5825 View Post
Show up at a pool-owning neighbor's house with either
a) a fresh baked chocolate cake,
OR
b) a case of beer,
as their particular taste dictates.

Bonus points if the beer is already on ice in a cooler.

Good plan! We've used the pool at the marina where we keep our boat, and it is mighty convenient for sure! I've thought a couple of times about digging a pond, but alas, even the maintenance on that is too much for us.

Old 01-28-2013, 03:12 PM   #45
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sarah in SC View Post

Good plan! We've used the pool at the marina where we keep our boat, and it is mighty convenient for sure! I've thought a couple of times about digging a pond, but alas, even the maintenance on that is too much for us.
Um...um...look here

There Are Alligators in Charleston South Carolina

Old 01-28-2013, 03:31 PM   #46

Quote:
Haha, exactly! Here's a photo I took of one a few years ago. He was a monster!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg PICT0068.JPG (430.6 KB, 5 views)

Old 01-28-2013, 03:44 PM   #47

For the people that have pools but don't use them anymore...how about raising catfish in them? Put up some solar panels to power the aeration. Then you could get an Agricultural Exemption and get money from the Govt for a Green Business! Marty...we have it all figured out for your retirement!

Just KIDDING!
Old 01-28-2013, 03:52 PM   #48
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Redbugdave View Post
For the people that have pools but don't use them anymore...how about raising catfish in them? Put up some solar panels to power the aeration. Then you could get an Agricultural Exemption and get money from the Govt for a Green Business! Marty...we have it all figured out for your retirement!

Just KIDDING!
Another re-use idea ? Family reunions could take on a more peaceful tone if swimming being pushed in with these fish was used as a threat for a punishment for poor behavior.

Old 01-28-2013, 03:59 PM   #49

Ahhhhh...Freebird yer killin' me! Haaaaaa...

And Sarah could raise baby alligators in the community pool...just don't have a flood and turn them loose...

Sorry Marty for your thread degenerating, but you needed help...
Old 01-28-2013, 06:29 PM   #50
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quote:
Originally Posted by FinanceDude View Post
I have heard pool and boat owners say the same thing, that the 2 best days of owning either are the day you get it and the day you get rid of it..........

I have owned several boats, and can agree with the above sentiment. However, I still seem to go out & buy another boat, once I sell the previous one.
Old 01-28-2013, 06:31 PM   #51

Quote:
Another re-use idea ? Family reunions could take on a more peaceful tone if swimming being pushed in with these fish was used as a threat for a punishment for poor behavior.

Yeah....that's what I'm talkin' about!
Old 01-28-2013, 06:44 PM   #52
Give me a forum ...

About the pool expenses, if you do not use the pool at all, then why bother? But think of the time you will use it with your grand kids. How does one put a price on that?

As for me, as mentioned in an earlier post, I will look to use my pool more, now that my children are grown, and we will not have grand children for a long time, if ever. Still, no regrets, considering the fun we had when my children were little.
Old 01-28-2013, 07:09 PM   #53

No maintenance, no expense...365 days/yr.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Pool.jpg (543.1 KB, 8 views)
Old 01-28-2013, 07:38 PM   #54

This is the pool in question.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 0127131602.jpg (711.6 KB, 15 views)
File Type: jpg 0127131603.jpg (743.0 KB, 12 views)
Old 01-28-2013, 07:45 PM   #55
Give me a forum ...

There you go! Fill up the chlorine float, set up the pump timer, then hop on the hammock with a beer. What's there to do?

By the way, that's an interesting "tree" that the hammock hangs from. I would build a treehouse or a platform for the kids on that tree.
Old 01-28-2013, 07:52 PM   #56

Quote:
Originally Posted by NW-Bound View Post
There you go! Fill up the chlorine float, set up the pump timer, then hop on the hammock with a beer. What's there to do?

By the way, that's an interesting "tree" that the hammock hangs from. I would build a treehouse or a platform for the kids on that tree.

It "was" a tree, until the owner installed the pool and found out about large trees next to and overhanging the end of the pool, and all the leaves that go along with that scenario. He cut the tree down to what you see in the pic, then built the hut-roof-thing, bought the grass material for the top on ebay (said it required 3 60ft. rolls. He's really quite a do-it-yourselfer. If I buy the house, I'd sure like for him to stick around the area...unfortunately he's moving to Michigan. Still undecided about buying the house at this point.

You can see it's not a real big pool. Maybe it would be easier than a larger one to maintain, clean etc?
Old 01-28-2013, 08:00 PM   #57
Recycles dryer sheets

I rented a house for 1 year that had a pool and the expense and time for maintenance (yard had too many trees) were enough to convince me that I never want a pool again.

In addition (ome argue that the data is taken out of context) Chap 5 of Freakonomics states that home pools are more dangerous than guns:

But according to the data, their choice isn’t smart at all. In a given year, there is one drowning of a child for every 11,000 residential pools in the United States. (In a country with 6 million pools, this means that roughly 550 children under the age of ten drown each year.) Meanwhile, there is 1 child killed by a gun for every 1 million-plus guns. (In a country with an estimated 200 million guns, this means that roughly 175 children under ten die each year from guns.) The likelihood of death by pool (1 in 11,000) versus death by gun (1 in 1 million-plus) isn’t even close: Molly is roughly 100 times more likely to die in a swimming accident at Imani’s house than in gunplay at Amy’s.
Old 01-28-2013, 08:19 PM   #58
Give me a forum ...

I had to go out to measure my pool in the dark. Might as well, as I never knew its exact size. It is rectangular in size at 17' X 37', and takes up nearly all of the back yard, leaving only the side yard for a lawn and swing set for the kids when young.

I have fruit trees in the side yard now, but they are downwind. Most of the maintenance of the pool comes from leaves off neighbor's trees that are upwind. Thought about spraying them trees with something... Other than that, maintenance is not bad, less than what a nice lawn requires, I would say. But then, one does not need a lawn either, and can do low-maintenance xeriscape. YMMV, as usual.

PS. Also measured the depth at the diving board end. It is 9 ft. So, I looked up the Web and learned that's the minimum depth for diving.

Old 01-28-2013, 10:46 PM   #59
Give me a forum ...

As I mentioned in an earlier post, the danger of a child drowning is very real, and enough for my state to institute a law mandating fences around a pool. I will repeat that post here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by NW-Bound View Post
About pool safety, it's my state law that a pool must have a fence around it. I may be wrong, but the requirement can be met if the back door from the house to the pool is self-closing, and cannot be opened by a child under so many feet tall.

With residential pools being so common here, we learned of tragic stories every year of children drowning. Quite often, a family moved in from out-of-state, and while the adults were throwing a party, a child slipped out to the pool and drowned in the few minutes that people inside the home overlooked.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pajaro View Post
I rented a house for 1 year that had a pool and the expense and time for maintenance (yard had too many trees) were enough to convince me that I never want a pool again.

In addition (ome argue that the data is taken out of context) Chap 5 of Freakonomics states that home pools are more dangerous than guns: ...
I cannot comment about the expenses. If one does not use something, then its expense is wasted. It applies to not just pool, but also gym membership, RVs, etc...

But the pool safety must be taken very religiously. When my children were young, and so were their cousins when they came for a swimming party, I made a rule with my wife that one of us had to be at the pool constantly. No going into the house to get a drink or to pick up the phone. One of us had to be there, all the time.

Note that we do not expect or ask our adult guests to stand watch. Either I or my wife had to be there. No exception!
Old 01-29-2013, 12:32 AM   #60
Recycles dryer sheets

Pool is like a pet but more expensive and harder to get rid of. I can't wait to divest of the stinking fountain in the backyard :-)