Join Early Retirement Today
Old 06-06-2014, 08:38 PM   #21
Recycles dryer sheets
I attended an 82nd Airborne convention in the mid 80's that was mostly run and hosted by WWII paratroopers and there were also a few British paratroopers and some Rangers who were able to make the trip. It will go down as one of the highlights of my life. In the evening there were a couple of open bars which were bartended by the WWII vets and the alcohol was flowing and so were the stories. They were among their fellow troopers past and present and felt free to talk about their experiences during that difficult time. The main theme was one of confusion and being dropped in the wrong location and trying to coordinate and make sense of the chaos in order to carry out their mission.

As young 20 year old who looked at these guys with awe at what they had accomplished I was amazed at the respect and admiration they had for the current members of the Airborne. They were our hero's but they looked to us to carry on their legacy (not possible) and it was such a humbling experience that I will always cherish.

All the parachute drop zones at Ft Bragg, the home of the 82nd Abn, are named after WWII drop sites in respect and memory of what they and many others accomplished.

Skyward1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Thoughts on D Day
Old 06-07-2014, 04:52 AM   #22
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...
Thoughts on D Day

Movies do not do WWII justice at all. The tv series "World at War" used actual footage of D-Day, etc. The sheer terror of storming Normandy, the island-to-island fighting in the Pacific, the near-suicidal bombing missions in Europe early in the war... Hard to imagine, considering the odds of survival, how one would feel going into one of those missions/battles.

Have Funds, Will Retire

...not doing anything of true substance...
HFWR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2014, 09:59 AM   #23
D-Day was an incredible sacrifice by everyone involved and for those interested in the numbers I've attached a summary from a recent history magazine. Over the 77 day campaign the casualty rate across both sides and civilians was 6,674/day which was higher than at the battles of Verdun, the Somme or Passchendaele. (over 10,000 French civilians died in the bombings over the D-Day campaign).

It was very moving to see all the veterans there, and to see the D-Day veterans flag lowered for the last time since this will be the last such re-union. One US 93 year old ex paratrooper did a parachute jump and when asked if he was afraid, he said he wasn't frightened because this time no one was shooting at him.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg image.jpg (643.4 KB, 11 views)
Retired in Jan, 2010 at 55
Now it's adventure before dementia
Alan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2014, 01:08 PM   #24
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post
Send a message via Skype™ to kcowan
I have been there and Omaha Beach is definitely the worst place to attack. Plus the 10,000 graves of the soldiers really does emphasize the event! But like nun, I think it will leave the impression among most Americans that it was a US effort. Too bad. Another chance to educate Americans on the history of the world lost!

(I recall there were over 17,000 British soldiers lost during the D-Day invasion. If it had not been for the untiring efforts of the British, we would all be speaking German! Plus we have the Japanese to thank for the final involvement of the Americans after three plus years of fighting!)

For the fun of it...Keith
kcowan is offline   Reply With Quote